PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Started smoking in college. First wife made me quit. I was about 25. I told myself if I ever got divorced, I would start smoking again. Got divorced at age 42. Started smoking for about four years until I broke a tooth. Not sure if it was from clenching, but I quit until five or six years ago when I was in my late sixties. At my age and total exposure I doubt I would have any adverse effects. I am in excellent health.
Unlike cigarettes, I don’t think there is a correlation between pipes/cigars and cardiovascular disease.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I'm 40 and have smoked cigarettes since I was 15. Smoke about 2 1/2 packs a day. I also smoke cigars since I was 18. Smoke my pipe some times 7 times a day, on those days I smoke less cigarettes. Haven't smoked a pipe as long though. Only a couple years almost. Some times I smoke it 0 and skip a couple days. I have a smokers cough in the morning. Other than that I'm fine. Not promoting my life style; I do plan on quiting cigarettes. Just saying, knock on wood I'm still okay. The cigarettes scare me more than pipes and cigars. But obviously no tobacco is healthy. I personally think the relaxing stress release of the pipe over rides the bad since high blood pressure is a big killer.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Cigarette, cigars and pipe for 47years.
Been ”pipe tobacco“ cigarillos since July 2021.
No smell and very little taste since then from COVID.
Enjoying the pipe has difficult. But I am a tobacco smoker.
Healthwise, kidney cancer twice, with a third looming.
one cardiac event that required 3 stints in the RCA.
Cataracts @ 34, lasik, sinus, 3 shoulder surgeries, both hands, dozen or so kidney stones.
Try as they might, doc couldn’t put any blame on tobacco use.
Bodily abuse,for fun and money, genetics, decades of chemical exposure.
Other than that, tip top! not too bad for 54.
Can’t wait to get back smell and taste so I can relearn the pipe!

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Been smoking a pipe & cigarettes for 55 yrs. My cigarette smoking got to be very heavy for the last 10 yrs of my law enforcement career. I was smoking 2 packs a day. Due to my heavy use of cigarettes I developed COPD. After retirement my cigarette smoking went way way down. Now I only smoke a cig about 3 times a week. I replaced the cigarettes with dip and that helped me get off the cigs. Actually my doctor says I'm in very good health for a man of 76 with the exception of the COPD. I do prefer the pipe over the dip and smoke on average about 5 to 8 bowls a day.
Glad to hear it! Keep on moving and chugging away. Cheers!

Reactions: ray47 and yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't start smoking a pipe until I was in my early thirties, and I quit in my late forties in solidarity with my late wife quitting smoking. Her final illness was not smoking related so far as the science on it reports. My father smoked a pipe from about age 15 until he was 65, pretty much all day, just after breakfast to bedtime. He quit smoking when he took a campus job where there was no smoking when he was 65. He lived to be 89 1/2 licensed to drive without glasses.

I started back smoking a pipe about 14 years ago. My health has been pretty good, a few age related issues but I'm very busy and active. I am a moderate smoker, a pipe a day, sometimes none, sometimes three. I feel like the relaxation and centering of pipe smoking has health benefits to weigh against the unhealthy aspects. Moderation is good.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
I didn't start smoking a pipe until I was in my early thirties, and I quit in my late forties in solidarity with my late wife quitting smoking. Her final illness was not smoking related so far as the science on it reports. My father smoked a pipe from about age 15 until he was 65, pretty much all day, just after breakfast to bedtime. He quit smoking when he took a campus job where there was no smoking when he was 65. He lived to be 89 1/2 licensed to drive without glasses.

I started back smoking a pipe about 14 years ago. My health has been pretty good, a few age related issues but I'm very busy and active. I am a moderate smoker, a pipe a day, sometimes none, sometimes three. I feel like the relaxation and centering of pipe smoking has health benefits to weigh against the unhealthy aspects. Moderation is good.
MSO489……I really enjoy reading your posts, you sound like a really interesting fellow and your posts always have good meaning to them. Cheers for your input on here and glad that I’m able to get a peek into your life.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
“Tobacco today, keeps the doctor away”……as they say.

Nicotine absorption constricts blood vessels whether inhaled or not.
As time has gone on, I think nicotine has been minimized for what was once thought to be long term health impacting. There is some literature out there moving away from the condemnation of it and focused more on tobacco itself. Outside of the addictiveness that impacts some more than others and drives more tobacco use, nicotine in and of itself seems to be less concern.

There's a lot of correlation that can be made between nicotine and caffeine. In the case of caffeine, over time the body adjusts to the body + caffeine and normalizes out. It too impacts blood vessels on usage with similar withdrawal effects when removed, yet there are zero restrictions on its use or pushed long term health detriments from its consumption.

The FDA itself over the last few years have worded many of their articles to condemning tobacco, yet not nicotine very specifically. There are even FDA approved and cleared safe products specifically to deliver nicotine without the hazards of tobacco use.

There's a number of recent articles on the FDA site where it's very clearly focused on smoking and not nicotine (other than it's addictive potential, but not health related).

The most interesting article I've found recently was that Scotland has actually put on their national health page that they consider nicotine relatively harmless and have put the focus directly on the usage of tobacco.

That's not to say it won't impact someone negatively, but I think it's being accepted that nicotine itself isn't the culprit of most of the health impacts from tobacco use. It's everything else in tobacco and more and more articles continue to come out by government and health organizations depicting that thought.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Title edited for brevity. (Caps also missing) Original:

"How long have you been smoking, how many times a day do you smoke and how has your health been?"

Just curious on how long you all have been smoking and how your health has been during that time. I'm a relatively new pipe smoker (5 years on and off but 1.5 year religiously) and want to make this a lifelong hobby, seeing peoples pipe smoking journeys is inspiring and gives you something to look forward to going down the road!
I’ve been smoking for—damn it, you’re making me do math!—for 43 years now. My bowls-a-day has changed significantly over that period of time, as you might imagine. At my peak, I was at about 8-10 bowls a day, which would be my preference if life allowed. Currently only about a half-dozen a week.

Other than being just over the edge into Type 2 diabetes (managed by pills, not insulin), my health is great.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Smoking since 1975. The last 25 years I smoke 4 to 6 bowls a day. Not health issues related to smoking. Stress levels good, heart good, lungs good. I do watch my diet carefully. All my health issues have been related to work.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
“Tobacco today, keeps the doctor away”……as they say.

As time has gone on, I think nicotine has been minimized for what was once thought to be long term health impacting. There is some literature out there moving away from the condemnation of it and focused more on tobacco itself. Outside of the addictiveness that impacts some more than others and drives more tobacco use, nicotine in and of itself seems to be less concern.

There's a lot of correlation that can be made between nicotine and caffeine. In the case of caffeine, over time the body adjusts to the body + caffeine and normalizes out. It too impacts blood vessels on usage with similar withdrawal effects when removed, yet there are zero restrictions on its use or pushed long term health detriments from its consumption.

The FDA itself over the last few years have worded many of their articles to condemning tobacco, yet not nicotine very specifically. There are even FDA approved and cleared safe products specifically to deliver nicotine without the hazards of tobacco use.

There's a number of recent articles on the FDA site where it's very clearly focused on smoking and not nicotine (other than it's addictive potential, but not health related).

The most interesting article I've found recently was that Scotland has actually put on their national health page that they consider nicotine relatively harmless and have put the focus directly on the usage of tobacco.

That's not to say it won't impact someone negatively, but I think it's being accepted that nicotine itself isn't the culprit of most of the health impacts from tobacco use. It's everything else in tobacco and more and more articles continue to come out by government and health organizations depicting that thought.
While I agree, it did not keep the Doctor Chopper away!

• Haha
Reactions: itsnotuitsme