PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I've been smoking about 10 years now, a few bowls a week typically. Feel great for the most part! Although sometimes my mouth/throat feel weird the morning after if I smoke in the evening and that always kind of freaks me out.

Noiwiun

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
I've been smoking a pipe for eight or so years. My health has been fine so far. The only thing is that it has become a little harder to breathe when running. But it goes away as soon as I start exercising on a regular basis.

Raebo

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Nicotine absorption constricts blood vessels whether inhaled or not.
The body releases a surge of hormones when under stress. These hormones cause the heart to beat faster and the blood vessels to narrow.

Pipe smoking relaxes our mind and body subsequently offsetting any negative affects that nicotine would place on the body.
IMHO

Raebo

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Nicotine absorption constricts blood vessels whether inhaled or not.
The body releases a surge of hormones when under stress. These hormones cause the heart to beat faster and the blood vessels to narrow.

Pipe smoking relaxes our mind and body subsequently offsetting any negative affects that nicotine would place on the body.
IMHO

Reactions: johnscs

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

So does any sort of tobacco use. There's no offsetting, however. It's just satisfying the brain's desire for a drug that's still harmful to the body regardless of the pleasant experience. Waxing poetic doesn't negate the side effects.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I smoked cigars off and on for ten years, it's been a dedicated hobby for a year now. Took up pipes in January. I smoke an average of two or three times a week, mix of cigars and pipe. I'd love to smoke once a day but I just don't have the time, and in the case of cigars not the money (I probably could afford to pipe smoke daily). Haven't noticed any changes in my health whatsover

tirefire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Title edited for brevity. (Caps also missing) Original:

"How long have you been smoking, how many times a day do you smoke and how has your health been?"

Just curious on how long you all have been smoking and how your health has been during that time. I'm a relatively new pipe smoker (5 years on and off but 1.5 year religiously) and want to make this a lifelong hobby, seeing peoples pipe smoking journeys is inspiring and gives you something to look forward to going down the road!
Been smoking 50 years . . . Cigarettes as a teen (when I could sneak 'em), 30+ years of cigars (about 3-4 per week), and pipe for five months (5 days per week) . . . Health is decent due to plenty of gym time over the last 40 years. Enjoy life, smoke and drink when you want (and not when you need), and keep active.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
when I smoked cigs my lungs didn't function as happily as they do now with regular pipe smoking. I am 45 and people constantly ask me questions like what's your major or other questions for youngsters. To get a bit morbid many of the old timers that get broken pipe threads pass at ripe old ages and often of conditions that aren't smoking related at all. Most older cig smokers who I've known who pass it's cigarette related if not caused.

Reactions: itsnotuitsme

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I started pipe smoking, like many, when I was in college, back in the '70's. Gave it up but continued to smoke cigarettes until the early 2000's. Started back up with pipes after I quit cigs. Other than having two stents inserted in my coronary artery 12 years ago (which I attribute to 30-plus years of cigarette smoking and heredity) my health has been fine. Before Covid, I generally smoked a couple of bowls a day. However, since Covid when I started working from home, my consumption has increased.

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
i smoked cigarettes for more than 15 years. lets face it, it's nothing else than a heavy addiction, and my many attempts to get out culminated in 2 years of vaping. lets face it, that's another heavy addiction, and so i picked up piping about half a year ago, and have never been happier.
i had days without smoking a pipe, just because it didn't fit in, and didn't really miss it. compared to my cigarette years, where i HAD TO smoke even the next day after a jaw operation, i'd say it's a pretty big step forward. also my breathing feels good and i smell nuances i didn't think possible before. i can't report on long term effects of piping, obviously, but i feel the mind set of sitting down and smoking a pipe, enjoying the slowness, thinking through things, is benefitting me in general, even if there may be a difference health wise in a few decades.

Reactions: Jim Schweggler

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
I smoke a few bowls a day,on and off for several years,but must admit my life may be in danger. You see,my wife hates smelling my pipe,and there are guns in the house,so you can figure out the rest:ROFLMAO:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I'm 40 and have smoked cigarettes since I was 15. Smoke about 2 1/2 packs a day. I also smoke cigars since I was 18. Smoke my pipe some times 7 times a day, on those days I smoke less cigarettes. Haven't smoked a pipe as long though. Only a couple years almost. Some times I smoke it 0 and skip a couple days. I have a smokers cough in the morning. Other than that I'm fine. Not promoting my life style; I do plan on quiting cigarettes. Just saying, knock on wood I'm still okay. The cigarettes scare me more than pipes and cigars. But obviously no tobacco is healthy. I personally think the relaxing stress release of the pipe over rides the bad since high blood pressure is a big killer.
@Coreios I've had a smoker's cough for a few months now on and off...

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I have smoked on and off since 2013, but the last two years I have been smoking almost daily.
I haven't been to the doctor, but I know what the doc's going to say. "The results are in. It's bad news, I'm sorry - You have a bad case of PAD and TAD."

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
No it's definitely the cigarettes. I'm a chain smoker. I've had times I've lit one put it in an ashtray forgot and lit another one while that one was still burning.

I'm sure the second hand smoke isnt helping, but I think if I just puffed a pipe I'd be much better.
@Coreios Thanks! Dad says when I went to the Sealed Knot Battle of Nantwich I got more of the clay pipe than the person smoking it:)

• Haha
Reactions: Coreios

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Been at it for around 34 years. I average around 3-5 bowls a day. Would I be better off if I didn't smoke? Maybe. But it brings me pleasure and quite frankly, I've reached a point in my life where I don't give a sh*&! Smoke'em if you got'em. If you're me, you got'em, at least for now.

Reactions: Coreios