Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

H

HRPufnstuf

There are many things in the world which are a detriment to health, from prescription drugs, alcohol, certain occupations, foods, etc. Of all these things, it seems arbitrary to single out tobacco. What a silly world.
Particularly when so many governments, including my own, use tariffs and taxes on tobacco to fund medical research, not to mention their political campaigns - at arms length.

Reactions: Lyle b

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You'd better find a politician or five if you ever want to regain some control over taxes, restrictive tobacco laws and such. Or, have you simply given up? Withdrawn from the process and ceded all control to others? Easier and simpler I suppose than getting involved. Good luck!

Reactions: Sobrbiker
H

HRPufnstuf

You'd better find a politician or five if you ever want to regain some control over taxes, restrictive tobacco laws and such. Or, have you simply given up? Withdrawn from the process and ceded all control to others? Easier and simpler I suppose than getting involved. Good luck!
Judge much? Ad hominem.

lvacgar

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Sarasota, Florida
The costs to the economy are far greater than any tax benefit. These costs factor in illness, lost productivity, and medical costs. In the US it runs into the tens of billions. Of course, those figures are more than a decade old, so may be approaching the 100 billion mark.

I would posit that those figures apply more to cigarette smoking. Although still there, pipes and cigars pose far less risk and result in only a trivial % of those figures.

Eating fried and processed foods, white sugar, gmo foods, sodas, and artificial sweeteners cost exponentially more...

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
It is totally crazy. I was chatting with a couple from Australia at a tobacco shop in DC, and he was allowed 2 cigars or 25 g of pipe tobacco. If thats not insane enough, he was telling me prices there and almost none to be found anyway. You don't feel good about paying higher tobacco taxes until you hear what others have to do just to get a bowl full. And as others have mentioned, at the same time, Cannabis is being legalized everywhere and in DC, it is still illegal to smoke in public, does that stop anyone....G1

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Eating fried and processed foods, white sugar, gmo foods, sodas, and artificial sweeteners cost exponentially more...

I find it ludicrous that pot smoking is being deregulated even as tobacco is being more restricted.
Not to mention drive thru carry-outs, but don't be caught with that tobacco pipe in your mouth in public.

Reactions: orvet and lvacgar
H

HRPufnstuf

Since pot has been legalized in MB the vast majority of users have turned to THC edibles for public consumption. Even vaping is villified here. Oddly, nobody on the golf course where I work has ever had a negative comment or complaint about my pipe on the job although I frequently work in close proximity to the patrons on patios and seating areas.

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
Well don't come to Brazil; the Brazilian gubberment don't allow the importing of tobacco or anything to do with smoking (so pipes can't be imported either)... :mad:
Interesting, didnt realize that. All the Brazilians who work for the same company I do smoke Dunhill cigarettes like mad. Both young and old associates. I always assumed tobacco law was more laid back down there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would posit that those figures apply more to cigarette smoking. Although still there, pipes and cigars pose far less risk and result in only a trivial % of those figures.

Yep, but tobacco is an easier target. Pipe smoking may, or may not be “safer”, more limited to lip, mouth, and throat cancers than lung cancer, but no one is going to parse the difference.
I suspect that if all the harmful economic activity were banned, 3/4 of workers would lose their jobs and a lot of fat cats would lose their meal tickets.
You’re advocating logic and reason, properties not much in use.