PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
So, conflate the discussion is your answer, weight v tobacco. bdw

Actually nothing needs to be conflated for this to be relevant. Every argument that applies to smoking applies to obesity, and I suspect the economic analyses would be largely the same in form and outcome. Raising this comparison serves a purpose: it highlights the non-economic side of the question, which is to what extent is it appropriate for government to move to modify personal behavior (whether through compulsion or suasion) in the name of societal good, or the good of the individual involved? I personally think the money arguments are a red herring.

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
For me, "conflating" is widening/diluting the discussion subject. An oft used tactic which only detracts from the subject at hand. And, on a site such as this usually sends the discussion off the rails. Better to focus I think rather than dilute or deflect. If one doesn't have a solid argument, widen the scope of the debate. Not an unreasonable tactic for some. One that often works, witness our last posts. rotf

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Actually nothing needs to be conflated for this to be relevant. Every argument that applies to smoking applies to obesity, and I suspect the economic analyses would be largely the same in form and outcome. Raising this comparison serves a purpose: it highlights the non-economic side of the question, which is to what extent is it appropriate for government to move to modify personal behavior (whether through compulsion or suasion) in the name of societal good, or the good of the individual involved? I personally think the money arguments are a red herring.
Yes, but in today's world you're not supposed to notice double standards or inconsistent, unprincipled reasoning. And most of all, you're not supposed to engage in critical thinking, which your last two posts shamelessly display...a blantant disregard for the expected blind acceptance of whatever the current edict is.

For this your social credit score will be substantially reduced with corresponding loss of privileges afforded only to compliant subjects.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don’t know, it might be more about trying to save money and lives. In the past 3 or 4 years I’ve had 4 fairly young friends who were all heavy smokers die very expensive deaths at tax payer expense. They all went down fighting for their lives but only one quit smoking.
Oh, I think trying to reduce the medical costs may be a part of it also. I have also had a couple of younger friends who had died from cancer and neither of them were smokers or lived with smokers. There are a number of factors that play into who gets cancer and who dies from cancer. Cigarette smoking has rightly been identified as have a strong connection to lung and throat cancers, but they are not the only cause of cancer.

My father was in his mid-70s when he died from emphysema and COPD. His doctor said the fact that my dad worked on towboats and woudl go clean the inside of oil and chemical barges without protective equipment back in the 1950s had more to do with the scaring in his lungs than smoking.

But none of that means that politicians are immune from supporting regulations based on how many votes they can garner.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Well don't come to Brazil; the Brazilian gubberment don't allow the importing of tobacco or anything to do with smoking (so pipes can't be imported either)... :mad:
I forgot to mention that you can however bring in 5 tins of tobacco in your luggage when travelling.

Reactions: AroEnglish

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Look into whole leaf unprocessed tobacco. In Canada you can import that and the duty is ridiculouslu cheap. Like a few dollars a pound
The Oz tax on tobacco is the same whether it is unprocessed or processed.

Why would anyone want to pay the hefty tax on unprocessed tobacco, then have to process it yourself. And most likely end up with a barely smokeable inferior blend you because you have nil experience.

It does not make sense.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The Oz tax on tobacco is the same whether it is unprocessed or processed.

Why would anyone want to pay the hefty tax on unprocessed tobacco, then have to process it yourself. And most likely end up with a barely smokeable inferior blend you because you have nil experience.

It does not make sense.
Yesh thats crazy. I would say its because the government is hell bent on making smoking unaffordable and being the first place to literally tax smoking to death

Reactions: OzPiper
Mar 1, 2014
I don’t know, it might be more about trying to save money and lives. In the past 3 or 4 years I’ve had 4 fairly young friends who were all heavy smokers die very expensive deaths at tax payer expense. They all went down fighting for their lives but only one quit smoking.
I maintain that banning Cigarettes is the correct choice, the convenience of Cigarettes is what pushed consumption beyond what anyone imagined possible.
I might be a politically reprehensible person for saying to ban anything, but the cause and effect of this situation is clear as day.
IF government cared about the population they would be subsidizing Vape.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And yet alcohol costs the economy even more.

These are their numbers and research about things that are extremely hard to measure and in some cases impossible. I think there is something else going on here.

Not saying tobacco is harmless. It’s not. But then again it doesn’t matter what I think. I follow the laws, I don’t make them.
I don’t disagree, but look at what a huge success was Prohibition. Marginalizing tobacco is a much easier sell.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I maintain that banning Cigarettes is the correct choice, the convenience of Cigarettes is what pushed consumption beyond what anyone imagined possible.
I might be a politically reprehensible person for saying to ban anything, but the cause and effect of this situation is clear as day.
IF government cared about the population they would be subsidizing Vape.
I don't think there's enough research on vaping yet to give a definite answer if it's healthier or not. I'm of the opinion it's going to cause worse damage over time than smoking. They would have to study the effects on everyone who mods vapes and what that does as theyre taking in probably 10 times the intended use at a time. I don't think smoking pg and VG will be the safe alternative people think it is.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Lyle b

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I don’t disagree, but look at what a huge success was Prohibition. Marginalizing tobacco is a much easier sell.
You bet! Marginalization is much more effective than prohibition. Unfortunately we are normalizing drugs and alcohol and marginalizing tobacco. It seems bass ackwards. To quote the younger crowd; “smh”.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
You bet! Marginalization is much more effective than prohibition. Unfortunately we are normalizing drugs and alcohol and marginalizing tobacco. It seems bass ackwards. To quote the younger crowd; “smh”.
Free needles are all over the place for heroin users. Don’t you know that tobacco use is much more dangerous than injecting heroin into your arm??

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I sense great sarcasm in the first part of that statement and great truth in the second sentence.

I have acquaintances decades younger than me who are enamored with life in the U.S. during the Prohibition Year. They have somehow romanticized the era of bootleg booze, speakeasies, bathtub gin and organized crime that existed back then.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
The black market will always exits. When prohibition was put into law in the US liquor flowed free. Obviously it was not was not without risk. I wonder if the black market would be profitable in your country. I smoked pot with minimal risk when illegal in the good old days. I am not suggesting that you break the law. In college I and my friends did.

Reactions: Lyle b
Mar 1, 2014
I don't think there's enough research on vaping yet to give a definite answer if it's healthier or not. I'm of the opinion it's going to cause worse damage over time than smoking. They would have to study the effects on everyone who mods vapes and what that does as theyre taking in probably 10 times the intended use at a time. I don't think smoking pg and VG will be the safe alternative people think it is.
I have seen demonstrations of the hazard to your lungs, but anyone switching to vape from cigarettes has only positive things to say about quality of life with vape.
If all cigarette smokers switch to vape, society will be vastly improved, and both government and tobacco companies are fighting to prevent this (the tax structure is based on tobacco not Nicotine itself).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The type of humans who are driven to an obsessive-compulsive degree to be in charge analyze and reverse engineer every situation they see out of reflex, breaking it down so they can play one side off the other.

Tobacco is merely one of the issues they identified and swooped in on a while back. All claims are pretext. Shit to be argued over so emotions on all sides will be engaged. Feathers thrown in a fan. Logic doesn't apply, and truth is irrelevant.

Why? Because when things are going smoothly and everyone is behaving reasonably, society has no need for so-called "leaders".

FACT: if the small percentage of humans who will develop into narcissistic Machiavellian sociopaths could be identified and eliminated before they were born, Planet Earth would be a VASTLY different and infinitely better place.