PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah. And in the U.S., it's more like 10,000 clinically obese people for every pipe smoker, If you're truly worried about public health, shutdown McDonalds, not SmokingPipes.
You gotta get with the times brother. Don't you know obesity is healthy now?

cosmo-fat-shaming-covers.jpg

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021

The magazine cover on the left brought this bourbon to mind. Very trying times we're living in...smooth-ambler-contradiction-bourbon-page-bottle.png

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
@Lyle b have you stayed resolved to put away your pipes?
Gmornin AroEnglish , I sort of am, resolved to not give my government the satisfaction of taking anymore of my money anyway , will wait till I can afford to and try an order from my a certain US establishment again , it's been awhile so might get lucky , my pipes are like old friends I haven't kept in touch with .

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
How unfortunate. Is it at all possible for you to receive a gift of tobacco in the mail or is that regulated just as well as the sale of tobacco?

Reactions: Lyle b

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I’ve been thinking about this whole issue but with more focus on the mechanics of the importation of tobacco. What use to happen was the smoker (me) would order from the online supplier and they would send it off. It would arrive here in general mail or parcels and depending on how busy customs was on any given day our tobacco may (or may not) get captured. If captured, customs would issue an account for the outstanding duty on the product which you could pay or not. Once paid the parcel would be released but as I mentioned not every parcel got captured. This was a windfall for the recipient. So the onus was on customs to catch the parcel, hold the item, issue the duty notice and release the product.

Some crafty bastard in customs realised this and changed the rules. Instead of trying to monitor thousands of individuals buying tobacco they switched the onus onto the suppliers. This meant that customs was now only looking at 5 or 6 lines of parcels coming in instead of thousands and to make the job even easier the Australian government said to tobacco suppliers sending product down under that they had to clearly mark the package as tobacco, hence the game was up and customs job was now so simple.

Now ”if” pipe smokers in Australia could source tobacco from say a third party with no obligation to disclose the contents of any package then it would cause a nightmare for customs once again. Yes some packages would get captured but the sheer volume of different sources would enable vast amounts to slip through.

Of course this is hypothetical but if enough like minded souls was to try, it would be a very interesting exercise.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
How unfortunate. Is it at all possible for you to receive a gift of tobacco in the mail or is that regulated just as well as the sale of tobacco?
Gday waznyf , I would think it would have better odds of getting through over a package from a established business that may or may not be known to to relevant customs department

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’ve not ordered tobacco from overseas in over 2 years because my last few shipments were intercepted
I suspect my name must be flagged by Oz Customs because my last few pipe orders (clearly labelled as tobacco pipes) were opened for inspection. This has happened only very rarely in the previous years.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand

Great……..let’s get a group photo of us all with our pipes, making lots of smoke…..and put that on some health mag cover and say “this is healthy now”!!!

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
I’ve not ordered tobacco from overseas in over 2 years because my last few shipments were intercepted
I suspect my name must be flagged by Oz Customs because my last few pipe orders (clearly labelled as tobacco pipes) were opened for inspection. This has happened only very rarely in the previous years.
Yep has been around same time for me hence my current dilemma but did manage to obtain a customs permit thanks to your suggestion, just reading up how to go about it now , bit excited , will see how it works out.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Yep has been around same time for me hence my current dilemma but did manage to obtain a customs permit thanks to your suggestion, just reading up how to go about it now , bit excited , will see how it works out.
I always thought i must've been flagged as well , just finished reading an article where the writer states that customs worked out rather than target individuals , who can change names and adresses , would target the businesses and names associated with those businesses, don't know how right it is

norddie

Lurker
Sep 4, 2023
betandreas-ozbekiston.net

Авиатор онлайн от Cosmolot ᐈ Играть в Aviator на официальном сайте Космолот - https://aviator-fun.com/cosmolot-aviator/
I know being obese is now good for health, but I'm still not sure I want to live as long as the girls in the photo.)

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Truthfully, I think the pitting of the various “vices” many…. If not most folks have at least one or two of in their lives…. is not the beneficial issue to focus upon, nor are differential health outcomes. Unhealthy vices may contribute to higher costs in the short term but I suspect they even out given the shorter lifespan (and hence less overall healthcare) a person receives.

In my opinion, pitting vices against each other as better or worse is really designed to help keep us common folks from having our legislatures do substantive work to make things better for everyone and not just special interest groups. We get too mired in fighting with each other that legislatures do mostly what is going to best line their own pockets.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The type of humans who are driven to an obsessive-compulsive degree to be in charge analyze and reverse engineer every situation they see out of reflex, breaking it down so they can play one side off the other.

Tobacco is merely one of the issues they identified and swooped in on a while back. All claims are pretext. Shit to be argued over so emotions on all sides will be engaged. Feathers thrown in a fan. Logic doesn't apply, and truth is irrelevant.

Why? Because when things are going smoothly and everyone is behaving reasonably, society has no need for so-called "leaders".

FACT: if the small percentage of humans who will develop into narcissistic Machiavellian sociopaths could be identified and eliminated before they were born, Planet Earth would be a VASTLY different and infinitely better place.
From a biological perspective, that might not be true. Studies in England from the last century demonstrated that when the dominate member of a species was removed, other members of the species developed the necessary traits to take over the niche of the dominate member who was removed. I tend to think their will always be an asshole ready to be made if given the chance and the opportunity.

Reactions: edger and UB 40

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
From a biological perspective, that might not be true. Studies in England from the last century demonstrated that when the dominate member of a species was removed, other members of the species developed the necessary traits to take over the niche of the dominate member who was removed. I tend to think their will always be an asshole ready to be made if given the chance and the opportunity.
My two cents: "dominant" and even "asshole" are not synonymous with what @georged is talking about. A person can be either of those things and not be the "dark triad" he's referring to. And a true DT individual may not seem on the surface an asshole at all...or even necessarily a dominant personality. In fact they are usually very smooth, slick and appealing...even comforting on the surface.

They are primarily con-artists...which is why so many people admire, follow and even obey them. This is the real problem...not so much the small percentage of psychopaths, but the large percentage of followers who enable them.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
My two cents: "dominant" and even "asshole" are not synonymous with what @georged is talking about. A person can be either of those things and not be the "dark triad" he's referring to. And a true DT individual may not seem on the surface an asshole at all...or even necessarily a dominant personality. In fact they are usually very smooth, slick and appealing...even comforting on the surface.

They are primarily con-artists...which is why so many people admire, follow and even obey them. This is the real problem...not so much the small percentage of psychopaths, but the large percentage of followers who enable them.

I agree with you, but there is some research that shows when the dominant psychopath exits the scene, another candidate who has been kept in check by various safe guards will develop those tendencies. Epigenetic Changes encouraged by changing environmental stimuluses mean there is a possibility of dangerous changes in behavior in any number of unknown people. Asshole was just a poorly used generic term for psychopath on my part. I see psychopaths as assholes Although some assholes are just jerks.

Reactions: edger