PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Dunhills as a whole are outstanding quality. The occasional error is going to slip through with any brand. The ones that are complained about on here were generally estates that you don't know what work was done to them and some people complain about them without ever having owned them. For example, Brobs, have you ever actually owned a Dunhill?
if you read my post above yes.. I've owned a few. I own zero now... they are hype, bro. You're caught up in it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You want to talk about overpriced junk? This Jess Chonowitsch is $7500! Why, why, why I could buy 750 pipes that smoke just as well as this pipe, dadgumit. Or I could buy 400 pipes that smoke just as good, get plenty of tobacco to smoke in them, matches to light the tobacco and pipe cleaners to clean them afterwards by jiminy. And another thing, what's with the pronouncing Jess "Yes"? You can see the J there. Why I tell ya, I'd punch him in the teeth for selling overpriced junk if I ever meet him.

View attachment 18492
nope wouldn't buy that either.. for $100.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
It's no more or less a risk than buying any other pipe unseen. You'll get what you get. But as most pipes smoke about the same, figure that you'll get similar performance to what you already have. So, if you're happy with what you have, you will probably be happy with the Dunhill.

I think Sablebrush said it best. After all, Dunhills are to a certain degree machine made pipes, passing through many hands during the manufacturing process.

An artisan pipe on the other hand would usually be made start to finish by one person, and more attention would be paid to small details.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well, as far as the undersigned goes, I can only say in my opinion no current manufacturer make more classic and sophisticated looking pipes than White Spot/Dunhill,yet their stem shaping is phenomenal, nothing to do with either,Ashtons, Petersons or Castellos in that matter Dunhill beats them all in once,moreover My Dunhills except from one estate Shell from 70ies smoke wonderfully, and was I a man of considerable means I would not have any hesitations to buy brand new ones Dunhills(WS)in the future ,yet should to be said, prices for brand new Dunhills in the U.S are decidedly over the top but not that much in Europe or England, to each to his own,I'm looking forward to getting me another one should it become possible finance-wise

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
to me, this shows why companies brand. ^^^^

A Dunhill Billiard is more classicly shaped than another brand's Billiard?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I am having an especially good smoke, there is a second wave of pleasure when I realize the pipe is special high quality for which I paid more ... or that this marvelous smoke is happening with a well made pipe for which I paid forty dollars, or twenty-five dollars in the case of some cobs with acrylic stems. The joy seems to be where I find it.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I'd rather have ONE fabulous pipe that I paid $500, than 5 very good smokers that I paid 100$.

Personal preference.
First, I love your profile picture. I assume that is Jerry himself and you are not a clone.

Second, yes, that is what I was thinking about having one fabulous pipe when I decided to look into a Michael Parks. But his Grade IV pipes are significantly more than $500 (potentially almost double). Not sure it's possible for it to be that fabulous in my book. Everyone has their own limits, and I think that exceeds mine. But now a $200 - $300 pipe seems downright cheap.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I don't think any of us are saying that Dunhill is not a great pipe. I think the real discussion is that there are others that are just as good smokers at a lower cost. Dunhills are consistent quality no question. There is the unmeasurable and undefinable aspect of owning a Dunhill. I have several and I love smoking them but this is not the founding question asked. How do you measure the experience/pleasure of owning an engraved Parker side by side? How do you measure the value of owning or experiencing anything of quality? It is so personal you can't.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
First, I love your profile picture. I assume that is Jerry himself and you are not a clone.

Second, yes, that is what I was thinking about having one fabulous pipe when I decided to look into a Michael Parks. But his Grade IV pipes are significantly more than $500 (potentially almost double). Not sure it's possible for it to be that fabulous in my book. Everyone has their own limits, and I think that exceeds mine. But now a $200 - $300 pipe seems downright cheap.
I have one of these (with another on order) and world not trade it for 50 pipes. It's an amazing piece of equipment. My Parks, Eltang and Former pipes are in a different class by themselves.
Rhodesian499_1096_SB_2.jpg

EDIT: Yes, that is Jerry. I have substantially less hair on my head these days. lol

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Cosmic said, “I don't think I have ever heard a Dunhill collector refer to Dunhills as better smokers. I mean, they must like the way they smoke, because they keep buying them. But, those that usually bring up the question of whether they smoke better are by those "considering" buying one.
More often, what I hear is that Dunnies are classical, aesthetically appealing, and a piece of history.
What the detractors will say is that they are merely status symbols.”

??????

I have owned over a hundred Dunhills, made from 1917 all the way through 2016. They are my favorite maker. If I could only ever have Dunhill pipes, I would be a perfectly content and happy pipe smoker.

I can make just about any pipe smoke the way I want it to. Corn cob pipes are made out of corn cobs and plastic, for goodness’ sake. Many smokers would be (and are) happy to ONLY smoke cobs.

I think Dunhill pipes are awesome.

Are they worth the money?
If you want one!

Are they better smokers than other pipes?
This is largely up to the smoker. If it doesn’t smoke well for you, then why keep it? No need though to disparage a brand that has made hundreds of thousands of pipes for hundreds of thousands of happy smokers for over a century now.

People have trouble liking or disliking something without trying to force others to agree.

Don’t get a Dunhill to get a Dunhill. Get a Dunhill because you want to get a Dunhill. I think that’s the best mindset to be in.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Don’t get a Dunhill to get a Dunhill. Get a Dunhill because you want to get a Dunhill. I think that’s the best mindset to be in.
this is all I'm honestly trying to say.. so many people think they must be better pipes because they cost more or because other people think they are high value or "elite" and collect them. Which they are not.
If you know you're paying more for the same or lesser quality than other makers for less money, go for it!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
this is all I'm honestly trying to say.. so many people think they must be better pipes because they cost more or because other people think they are high value or "elite" and collect them. Which they are not.
If you know you're paying more for the same or lesser quality than other makers for less money, go for it!
Yes, the word “better” is what makes all this tricky business. What is the definition of better?

It’s such a relative term. I know that they are better -for me!- because I love their finishes, their shapes, and most of all, I absolutely love that I know the year it was made.

My MarTelo pipe is the best smoking pipe to ever touch my lips. I now smoke it more than my Dunhills, just because of that, and it actually frustrates me haha! To complicate matters, another MarTelo pipe will be arriving at my mailbox tomorrow. ??‍♂️

But back on track, the real question is “What do I like?” In the long run, the best pipe you’ll ever smoke is the pipe that smokes best for you. All my Dunhills were worth the money, simply because I enjoy them. That means absolutely nothing to anybody else but myself, and that’s perfectly fine with me!

Cob smokers, enjoy the heck out of your cobs! Clay pipe smokers, enjoy the heck out of your clay pipes! Meerschaum guys, same to you!

And to all us Dunhill guys, we’ll be perfectly content sitting in the backs of our limos with a girl on each arm, wearing a fine bespoke suit and sneering at you! ??

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
And to all us Dunhill guys, we’ll be perfectly content sitting in the backs of our limos with a girl on each arm, wearing a fine bespoke suit and sneering at you! ??
the true reason that people think they like Dunhills. ^
which is totally fine! At least you admit it!

yet your average Dunny smoker is an old fuddy-duddy, not some rich or extravagant fellow.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
if you read my post above yes.. I've owned a few. I own zero now... they are hype, bro. You're caught up in it.

Are you sure you bought a Dunhill and not just a Petersen with a White Out dot painted on it? You are too bitter against the brand because of on pipe. So what gives? Was your dog killed by a Dunhill trunk? We’re you in a pipe store and the Dunhill display fell over on you and you were trapped until the next day?

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
If the pipe is calling to you, and you are concerned about buying it sight unseen, call the vendor and ask them about it. Ask them about the drilling, ask them about whether or not it passes the pipe cleaner test perfectly and if they see any flaws at all on the pipe. try to be assured from them that you can return it if you're not happy and you should be good to go.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
After reading these posts mulling on it, one clarification/observation:

While yes, any pipe, factory pipes in particular perhaps, can be a dud, I think there is a reasonable expectation that a Dunhill factory (or semi-factory) pipe that costs 2x or 3x a top of the line Savinelli, Pete etc should NOT be subject to any major drilling or other defects. And a $900 artisan pipe should be perfect and never get past the artist's personal QC with drilling or other problems.

I think that's what's bothering me. If I spend $150 or $200 on a nice Sav, I still expect very consistent quality. But a pipe with the reputation and price of Dunhill -- I'd expect no or virtually no construction defects, ever. And from what I'm reading that doesn't seem to be the case. Which is why I was wondering whether I should only buy one I can inspect, as to perhaps taking the risk with a less expensive pipe.

Still chewing on it,

Status
Not open for further replies.