PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ha Sable, good question. I wound up buying a Savinelli Roma 802 on Amazon -- 80 bucks. Seemed to fit the bill -- a moderate sized rusticated Canadian for a less than 1/4 the price of a Dunhill and 1/10th the price of a Parks. Smoked it once so far -- caught a nasty cold and haven't been smoking for a few weeks. But after that one time - I like it! I would have liked something just a tad smaller and more clenchable but this scratched the itch -- for now.

Thanks everyone for the input. And I enjoyed the vitriol.
Savinelli makes a great looking canadian!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
Ha Sable, good question. I wound up buying a Savinelli Roma 802 on Amazon -- 80 bucks. Seemed to fit the bill -- a moderate sized rusticated Canadian for a less than 1/4 the price of a Dunhill and 1/10th the price of a Parks. Smoked it once so far -- caught a nasty cold and haven't been smoking for a few weeks. But after that one time - I like it! I would have liked something just a tad smaller and more clenchable but this scratched the itch -- for now.

Thanks everyone for the input. And I enjoyed the vitriol.

A fine choice, that was the first Canadian I bought.

The official Savinelli site has a list of all available shapes with pictures: I think that's one of the best places to look if you're discovering shapes you'd possibly like. I feel a lot of people ignore that page and look only at resellers which can really limit the models you look at before buying.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Why would anyone buy a Dunhill when for the same price you could get a hundred corn cobs pipes and and some costumes and pretend to be Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer or a civil war soldier? Dunhill smokers are dumb and have no imagination. How awesome would it be to dress up like Gen MacArthur and say " I will return! " every time you leave a room? You can't do that with a Dunhill, you'd look like a duffus.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
C
Why would anyone buy a Dunhill when for the same price you could get a hundred corn cobs pipes and and some costumes and pretend to be Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer or a civil war soldier? Dunhill smokers are dumb and have no imagination. How awesome would it be to dress up like Gen MacArthur and say " I will return! " every time you leave a room? You can't do that with a Dunhill, you'd look like a duffus.
Cool. More dunhill vitriol. Let me grab some popcorn. Oh, and corncobs suck.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Dunhill smokers are dumb and have no imagination.

Yes, we are! But don't worry... They don't understand because they see price while we see the value.
When I look at them, I remember why I'm the most satisfied dumb in the world!

"It must be useful. It must work dependably. It must be beautiful. It must last. It must be the best of its kind." Alfred Dunhill. (The Worldwide Pipe Smoker's Magazine, 2nd Semester 1993. (p. 43).

*Brobs, close your eyes! You're not ready for this... ;)

IMG_20200121_185040_507-01.jpegIMG_20191115_063521_017.jpgIMG_20200101_065019_621.jpgIMG_20200104_120734_526.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There are 100 variations of the shape and most current makers dont make a well proportioned aesthetically pleasing billiard, as Dunhill does.
I wasn't saying there isn't any difference but to say Dunhill's is more "classical" than any other is a misnomer.

and if you like Dunhills I am not saying never to buy one.. I just want to advise new people who have never bought one and with no experience with one that they are going to overpay. That's all. Not that they are a bad pipe by any means, just not worth their premium pricetag.

@forciori if I didn't know a thing about Dunhills or pipes I would never think those are the best in the world. You are partly biased by your fondness for the brand, as are all fans of any brand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smoking is a pleasure, and if Dunhill/White Spot is part of that pleasure for you, I say enjoy them. Even if I had the discretionary spending, the pricing as compared to a number of other excellent factory pipes and especially handmade pipes, would steer me away from them. In any case, as a matter of history, remember that the French were the ones to adopt briar as a primary tobacco pipe material, and most of the classic shapes were borrowed from the French by the English, so you can get much of that tradition (and more in some cases) with French pipes at distinctly better prices. Though I have some well-loved English pipes --- though no Dunhill/White Spots -- when I want to delve deeply in tradition, I go with my French pipes, where it all started.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Maybe slightly off topic, but am I the only one who finds the Dunhill/Peterson vitriol to be comparable to the long simmering Harley Davidson/BMW conflict... ? IE the good natured, your brand sucks mine is better contests?

It’s kind of like that but in the end both brands smoke where as with the BMW vs HD argument, the BMW never smokes. It just runs with that oddly opposed twin quite sound for hundreds of thousands of miles while the Harleys smoke, lose oil and leave stains in the drive way while their owners looks like 4th graders playing dress up after a Harley store threw up on them. (We get it, you own a Harley and want the world to know you are a bad ass even though half of you work for corporate America and do accounting. Seriously guys, enjoy your bike but there is no need for you ALL to look like you belong to the Harley branded Mickey Mouse club. You are adults. It’s embarrassing)

Yeh, I have a neighbor who got a Harley, and within a week, he had a jacket that made him look like he was in a gang. I walked over to check out his bike. He was looking and acting all tough in front of a couple of other dweebs wearing the same jacket. They started talking tough guy shit, and I just laughed and reminded him that when his wife gets scared about something maybe in their yard, she calls me, instead of waking up Captain Harley here, haha.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
It’s kind of like that but in the end both brands smoke where as with the BMW vs HD argument, the BMW never smokes. It just runs with that oddly opposed twin quite sound for hundreds of thousands of miles while the Harleys smoke, lose oil and leave stains in the drive way while their owners looks like 4th graders playing dress up after a Harley store threw up on them. (We get it, you own a Harley and want the world to know you are a bad ass even though half of you work for corporate America and do accounting. Seriously guys, enjoy your bike but there is no need for you ALL to look like you belong to the Harley branded Mickey Mouse club. You are adults. It’s embarrassing)
THE POINT IS PROVED!

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
get what you like. You're the one that's going to have to enjoy it after all. Though it's funny there always seems to be a brand or two that people insist is the pipe which always leads to disappointment. Locally 20 years ago all the pipe smokers insisted that you needed to get a Peterson because after seeing how good that is you'd never want to smoke your others pipes again. Lots of people dreamed of this magical smoker and then where dispointed to find out that all they bought was a very good pipe that smokes well. But if something really speaks to you it will smoke better just because something about love garners more attention and care.

Reactions: lightmybriar

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeh, I have a neighbor who got a Harley, and within a week, he had a jacket that made him look like he was in a gang. I walked over to check out his bike. He was looking and acting all tough in front of a couple of other dweebs wearing the same jacket. They started talking tough guy shit, and I just laughed and reminded him that when his wife gets scared about something maybe in their yard, she calls me, instead of waking up Captain Harley here, haha.
it's funny I work with lots of rustic folks that people would think would act all tough, nope super nice mostly gentle people if rough around the edges (swearing and stuff like that, can talk about smart people subjects but have to ask what the hell that word meant etc...)and yeah a few ride Motor bikes. It's the guys in the office that seem to think your choice of vehicle is all you need to be a bad ass. Often they'll have tough guy sayings or images all around their desks as if that is a sign of having some personality and usually will express a sentiment that they couldn't survive if it was actually part of their reality (if that makes sense). Just something I've found funny. Then again most of the tough guys I know don't really have to spend money advertising it.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Pipe smoking is a pleasure, and if Dunhill/White Spot is part of that pleasure for you, I say enjoy them. Even if I had the discretionary spending, the pricing as compared to a number of other excellent factory pipes and especially handmade pipes, would steer me away from them. In any case, as a matter of history, remember that the French were the ones to adopt briar as a primary tobacco pipe material, and most of the classic shapes were borrowed from the French by the English, so you can get much of that tradition (and more in some cases) with French pipes at distinctly better prices. Though I have some well-loved English pipes --- though no Dunhill/White Spots -- when I want to delve deeply in tradition, I go with my French pipes, where it all started.
:)YMMV. I would agree, if only you could buy affordable new French or other pipes with at least stems like Dunhill’s. Today most stems on ‘affordable’ pipes, from most manufacturers, are either too fat or made by LEGO. Indian pipes are perhaps the most traditional and authenticpuffy

Status
Not open for further replies.