PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
I have so many pipes of 100 dollars, Savinelli, Stanwell, Vauen, Peterson, Nording, Big Ben, Ascorti ) most of them ares exceptionally goods and smoke VERY well (a few I throw them in the trash). I don't think I need ONE MORE.
But, I would like to have this Dunhill:
Dunhill, Cumberland 4101F, Stubby Apple
Dunhill Filter Pipes - The Danish Pipe Shop - https://www.danishpipeshop.com/d/Dunhill-Cumberland-4101F-Stubby-Apple-9-mm-i7244.html
Why ? Perhaps because is differente ? I don't know ...?????.........

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
After reading these posts mulling on it, one clarification/observation:

While yes, any pipe, factory pipes in particular perhaps, can be a dud, I think there is a reasonable expectation that a Dunhill factory (or semi-factory) pipe that costs 2x or 3x a top of the line Savinelli, Pete etc should NOT be subject to any major drilling or other defects. And a $900 artisan pipe should be perfect and never get past the artist's personal QC with drilling or other problems.

I think that's what's bothering me. If I spend $150 or $200 on a nice Sav, I still expect very consistent quality. But a pipe with the reputation and price of Dunhill -- I'd expect no or virtually no construction defects, ever. And from what I'm reading that doesn't seem to be the case. Which is why I was wondering whether I should only buy one I can inspect, as to perhaps taking the risk with a less expensive pipe.

Still chewing on it,

I have in the range of 15 Dunhills and have owned upwards of 25 in my life time. I've never had any issues with them and always had a great smoke out of all. I expect any pipe at any price to be properly drilled with good fit and finish. After all, the machining process is supposed to accomplish that for us. Yet, I've had bad Petersons. A while back there was a slew of them, across a range of prices with issues. Just search the board for the reports. Upshalls have fantastic wood but they used preformed bits. This means they sometimes have a hard time with passing the cleaner test. Radice, Ser Jacopo, Castello all have fantastic workmanship. Once at the shop I worked at we received a Castello that shipped with the wrong bit. Mistakes happen at every factory. They aren't the norm.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Are you sure you bought a Dunhill and not just a Petersen with a White Out dot painted on it? You are too bitter against the brand because of on pipe. So what gives? Was your dog killed by a Dunhill trunk? We’re you in a pipe store and the Dunhill display fell over on you and you were trapped until the next day?
did I say one pipe?

You're obviously a brand fanboy..

• Wow
Reactions: diamondback
You're obviously a brand fanboy..
...says the guy with the Peterson letter head in his sig line. Just kidd'n ya, bro. Ha ha!

But a pipe with the reputation and price of Dunhill -- I'd expect no or virtually no construction defects,
Dunhill used to offer a 100% satisfaction, no questions asked guarantee. It was the White Spot Guarantee. It made buying any Dunhill a no risk transaction. But, they dropped this.

My biggest problem with Dunhill is that the company just seems to be giving us the vibe that they don't want to be associated with pipes any more. The whole ditching the contract on the name use on the tobaccos, (I know, I know, they haven't actually made the tobacco for decades, but the contract on the use of the name was dropped) Then, taking the brand off of the pipes, and then having to be negotiated into being called "Alfred Dunhill's White Spots."
We know factually that the factory never has any cars at it, meaning no workers there, and we know that the actual "making" is farmed out to French factories.

But, I think that it's still fair for anyone wanting one of these pipes for whatever reason is legit. It is still a piece of history. But, if I were "moved" to want one, I would rather buy an estate over one of these new "White Spot" generation pipes. Having an estate would be more of a positive "feel" to it, than one of these made in the generation of embarrassment of being associated with pipes.

I may be wrong. Maybe they are proud of their pipe beginnings. Maybe these decisions to distance themself from their pipe history is just coincidence... but, I don't see them fighting to keep their brand on the pipes or tobaccos.

It's all up to you. And, if you buy one, I truly hope it brings you much joy and pleasure.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A huge fan of Dunhill.
That’s obvious but I think you’re letting it cloud your vision.
they aren’t magic.. in fact the newest one I had, I would go so far as to say it was poor quality.

the white dot had been inserted all the way down into the airway and the airway in the stem did not line up with their GLUED-IN-TENON. they dont even cut a tenon at least on the Cumberland series.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I know that cigrmaster was joking but, let me put in a good word for The Danish Pipe Shop. I have bought several items from them, including a wonderful estate Dunhill at a reasonable price.

On another note, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting a Dunhill, or any pipe, based on any damn reason they want. I really like my Dunhills. I always wanted one and now own three birth year Dunhills. I was a tobacconist (once upon a time) and sold a fair number of them. Buyers, in those days, looked upon those pipes, touched them, and coveted them with a special reverence. Hell, the memory of that, was/is enough of a reason for me. There are lots of reasons I like Dunhills and mine smoke great. I don’t own any White Spots. I might someday. I, also, see nothing wrong if someone wants to be a “fanboy’.

i cannot quantitatively state that my Dunhills smoke any better than my Castello, Charatan, Peterson, Savinelli, Barling, GBDs, Ascorti, Caminetto, Saseini...(oh, you get the point), but I might believe that they do and, that, is all the self-justification I need.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
the true reason that people think they like Dunhills. ^
which is totally fine! At least you admit it!

yet your average Dunny smoker is an old fuddy-duddy, not some rich or extravagant fellow.

No one could be dumb enough to actually think this. Are you putting us on? Is this part of an improv routine? Where can we get tickets!?!?

• Haha
Reactions: craig61a and Casual

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I know that cigrmaster was joking but, let me put in a good word for The Danish Pipe Shop. I have bought several items from them, including a wonderful estate Dunhill at a reasonable price.

On another note, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting a Dunhill, or any pipe, based on any damn reason they want. I really like my Dunhills. I always wanted one and now own three birth year Dunhills. I was a tobacconist (once upon a time) and sold a fair number of them. Buyers, in those days, looked upon those pipes, touched them, and coveted them with a special reverence. Hell, the memory of that, was/is enough of a reason for me. There are lots of reasons I like Dunhills and mine smoke great. I don’t own any White Spots. I might someday. I, also, see nothing wrong if someone wants to be a “fanboy’.

i cannot quantitatively state that my Dunhills smoke any better than my Castello, Charatan, Peterson, Savinelli, Barling, GBDs, Ascorti, Caminetto, Saseini...(oh, you get the point), but I might believe that they do and, that, is all the self-justification I need.
I don’t either but saying that they are better than other pipes is simply complete horseshit and I’m tired of seeing it perpetuated on the Internet.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Post a pic of yourself and we can judge.

And what would that accomplish? Does the gray in my beard mean I'm an old fuddy duddy? What would be next? Comparing bank accounts? Retirement accounts? Want to see a pic of my house? He He He Seriously, you can't be this insecure to think that the people who like Dunhill like them because they have deluded themselves into believing they are high rollers? I've never met one guy like that in 40 years of pipe smoking for ANY brand, cigars or pipes. Let it go, your going to give yourself high blood pressure and diarrhea harboring such resentment.

Status
Not open for further replies.