PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have been smoking a pipe for many years and only learned to smoke slowly since I joined this forum. My enjoyment has increased 50 fold and tongue bite has become virtually non-existent. I guess I was a slow learner. :oops:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Again, got nothing to do with hiding. Got everything to do with living with the pipe, and not biting the hand that feeds you.
Jeeze, what's the best way to say this. Let's see: Smoke pipe slow means good long flavorful smoke. Smoke pipe fast means tongue bite, palate scorching, loss of flavor, hot pipe, charred rim, clouds of smoke like the house is on fire, no taste, no flavor, pain, and early death. And clenching is the gate keeper.
They use to print this stuff on the brochures that came with new pipes. I still have these original boxes and instructions from Comoy. Alfred Dunhill used to call it The Gentle Art of Pipe Smoking.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
First of all I don't know how the hell I missed this thread! Secondly how do you light your pipe Kashmir, matches or lighter? I'm a clencher too as it seems natural to me. I don't have too much of a problem smokin slow but I know I could slowdown even more. I do remember as a kid seeing older men smoking without really seeing much smoke which always fascinated me.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I know for me, smoking slowly kinda came naturally. But it was a bit frustrating at first because I had to relight often. As a remedy, I would take deep draws to ensure that my pipe stayed lit. Needless to say, I would always be left with a steaming mouth. It wasn't until I learned that smoking slowly doesn't mean you won't have to relight occasionally. Not having to relight your pipe--something like in those smoking contests--is another skill altogether; and one I have yet to master I might add. Smoking slowly is about not relying on a big plume of smoke to tell you you're enjoying yourself.
Here is something I've learned and maybe the old timers can attest to it: sometimes my pipe will go out, but I'll still draw on it slowly. The heat that is still there on the tobacco gives off a nice flavor. When I get a chance, I relight and start the cycle all over again.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I tried clenching on a one and a half hour car trip by myself yesterday. I had two bowls one in a cob and the ther in a Sunrise amber grain with a saddle stem. The Sunrise smoke perfectly and was easy to clench because of the saddle stem. Oh and I smoked some PA so I could focus on the slow smoke and not be rushing get some amazing flavor.

I know i have some pipes that are not clenchers because they are just to dang heavy but hopefully i will get to the point where can smoke the same slow way regardless of clenching. As far as packing and prepping tobacco, do you dry to just the springy point? Also i use the 3 step method of packing, seems to work well but i wondered if there was something different I should be doing?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Sounds good gents. Everyone will pipe differently, each with their own way of doing things, and each will come to enjoy their pipes differently. Slow piping does tend to maximize flavor, while minimizing the negatives associated with hot piping. Glad to see others enjoying their pipes by whatever means works best for them. I swear by clenching and breath smoking, but others appreciate larger pipes that can not be clenched, and must be held. Some choose to focus wholly on the piping while piping, and in this way reach their nirvana. While others, such as myself, think the less focused one is on the pipe, the more intense the piping experience. To each his own. There are many paths that lead to the same place.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Kash
I also enjoy clenching and that is why I make sure that any pipe I will purchase now will be of a lighter weight, whether bent or otherwise.
Seems to me you are right on all counts; family, respect, slow smoking.
Missed this thread originally.
Really good one.
Allan

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great thread Kash. This is a good one to read from front to back. Thanks. I've got nothing really of value to add but sometimes while smoking an English blend I become distracted for one reason or another and when I think my pipe has gone out a couple gentle puffs and I see that it didn't go out after all and the flavor of these little sips are just amazing. It's this slow smoking technique that really clued me into to how wonderful Latakia mixtures can be. Puff an English like a freight train and sure enough it'll taste like cinders and creosote!
But yeah I get it completely the thread is not really about hiding or catering to the non-smokers around us but squeezing every bit of pleasure from our favorite pipes and tobacco.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
@flyguy: Glad to see slowing down improved your experience 50 fold! And no more tongue bite to boot.
@tjameson: I just use a simple Bic lighter. You know, now that you mention it, I too remember seeing all those old codgers smoking pipe back in the 60s. And I remember them smoking like this too. Not a single locomotive among them.
@samanden: Don't mind the relights. No harm in that if your smoke is better slow. I'll have to try your recommendation on light-less smoking.
@snagstangl: Glad to hear your trying clenching. It'll improve your piping, but takes some getting used to. Maybe smaller pipes? I dry and pack like you do.
@allan: Many thanks. Like you, weight is a significant factor in any pipe I buy. I try to keep it under 45g mainly. And yeah, those of us with kids know how their welfare takes second seat to your wants and desires. Part of the bargain.
@bentmike: Spot on. I agree with everything you said. Especially the Latakia blends. Slow sipping those really brings out the subtleties.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Having converted to the pipe from cigars appx. 7 years ago, I still struggle at times to slow down and sip. I’ve gotten a lot better at it than I used to be, but tend to get greedy with the smoke sometimes. I try to be more conscious of my smoking technique now and develop better habits.
Pipe smoking is counterintuitive compared to cigars. Sipping is definitely the way to go, regardless of whether one clenches or not. I clench more than I used to as well, but this varies a lot depending on the pipe I’m smoking and what I’m doing at the time. I don’t think I’ve ever clenched all the way through a bowl from start to finish...something to aspire to I guess. One thing’s for sure...I’ve learned a lot from threads like this one.

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
I know I smoke too fast, in fact I do life in general too fast. Some times I get a sudden burst of flavor just before the pipe goes out and it is wonderful. This reminds me that I have to slow down with piping. Threads like this let me know how fast I am really going. I believe piping is a great way for me to learn to understand the need to go slow and appreciate life. I get to fell an instant reward for pacing my self and this has improved the quality of my life. Thank you Kashmir.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Brian and chagovatoloco! Yeah, I smoked nails for quite a few years and the pipe not only saved my life, but taught me to slow down. Slowing down in all things is good for the cardiovascular system. Lowers the blood pressure, saves the old ticker, and makes you think before you speak. Also gets you more flavor and saves your mouth and pipe from burn out. All in all a good thing. Plus I love it because its so counter-cultural. The world tells you to go faster and faster. Buy more. Consume more. And you just kick back, slow down and look at the whole thing with a jaundiced eye.

May 31, 2012
I've been smoking a pipe one year and three months.
It took me one full year to learn how to smoke the pipe to its fullest capabilities.
Maybe in two or three more years I will really learn how to smoke a pipe.
I don't think I'll ever quit learning.
This is not hyperbole!
I said that about a year and a half ago on this thread,

and I'm still

learning something

each and every

single

damn

day

I miss Kashmir,

I always liked his posts,

and his pimped out Ashtons were pretty awesome too!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fancy-lucite-stems
...and he was a Chas. Mundungus fan like me,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-christmas-story-by-charles-mundungus
...I now know for sure that indeed Mundungus is Mark Irwin,

the very same Mark Irwin who's compiling the forthcoming Peterson book and also maintains the Peterson Pipe Notes blog...

http://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/
Good stuff.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Misterlowercase - Very kind of you to remember me. My life has gone through a dozen changes since I last posted here. About a year ago. These days finds me mainly on FaceBook under my real name Eric Boehm. I also help admin for The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking Society, also on FB. Hope all briar brethren here are doing fine. I miss you guys too. But there's only so many hours in a day and I can't spend em all on the computer. Lol. Cheers, and many happy smokes to all!

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
Nice to see this thread 'bumped'.
I'm finally learning how to sip. I've noticed that when taking my pipe out in a bar, even where smoking is allowed, I often get some nervous looks from those sitting next to me. They tend to change to curious and even admiring looks when they see that I'm not emanating clouds of smoke and what does come out doesn't smell bad at all!

I miss your posts too Eric. I see you everyday on the FB pages, but your writing shines more here, giving us more depth into your ideas on smoking. The pipes and artwork are very cool, but it's hard to beat a well thought out short essay. Even your comments are better here.

But, yeh, it does take more time.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
AW, shucks.Guess I'll give FB a rest and start logging onto here again. How's everyone doing? I'm puffing C&D's Star of the East in an old Comoys bulldog. Started up cigs again on account of my job at a warehouse where piping isn't allowed. Lol. Anyhoo, hope all's well.

Status
Not open for further replies.