PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I live in a world of non-smokers - my wife, kids, neighbors, friends, colleagues... The only place I can puff unabashedly without complaint is when alone sitting on the porch, doing yard work or in my vehicle. My man-cave in the garage /workshop is damp & freezing these days.
But I've learned to smoke around others without notice. Once the bowl is well lit in the garage, I maintain an even smoulder with nary a wisp. I can charge through my errands, pipe clenched, conversing & being the father figure.
And when the need arises to prevent extinguishing the pipe, I'll draw on it ever so lightly and be rewarded with intense tobacco flavor. The resultant smoke can easily be missed in a room, even one with the windows shut. Given a decent sized room. And so in this manner a group 3 bowl of Pirate Kake can take a good hour and a half to go thru. Most people think I have a clenched unlit pipe. But, truth be told, it is lit and performing very nicely, thank you.
I had a grandfather that did that in the 60s. People said they didn't think his pipe was lit. But I'd catch him walking past an open window, taking a deep draw, before he went back to inaudible sipping.
Anyways - anyone else ever do this? Puff a pipe so lightly and slowly that others around you think you're not smoking a pipe?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I live alone so I am free to puff but I really like how you told that story. I think it would make a good "short story". I think you need to change your avatar name to UndergroundPiper. :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Puff a pipe so lightly and slowly that others around you think you're not smoking a pipe?
F*** that noise. Haha.
There's no way I'm slipping into the shadows like I'm a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.
I'm thrashing down forests with my pressence. Hear me roar!
Glad to here you're enjoying yourself though. That's important.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I can tell most of you don't live in a houseful of kids. Marriage is about compromise. Keepin a woman happy is partly about listenin to her! Can't be a bachelor all yer life. Otherwise it'll doubtfully be a short one.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
How do you do it? I want to learn so I don't have to go out on the porch all the time. It would be a great skill to have. Teach me please? :worship:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Not really about hiding. The slower the smoke the greater the flavor release. Tobacco burns best slow. So you see, keepin others quite actually gives you better smoke. Least that's the way I see it.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have been trying to retrain myself not to take such big bites. Still working at it.
It's very mindful, pretty much a breathing exercise. I think that's part of what helps and brings me back to center after a long day.

guerillapiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2013
USA
We light our bowls off of burning buildings. We use our thumbs as a tamper. We use squirrel tails to clean our pipes. So we for damn sure aren't going to worry about smoking in public. Why? Two words: Guerilla Pipers.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Wow, you guys really misunderstood this thread! It's not about hiding, making a statement, nor about over throwing the government. It's about how old timers taught me to smoke a pipe. If your puffing like a locomotive you're missing a lot of what the leaf has to offer.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow, you guys really misunderstood this thread!
lol - the thread did get derailed pretty fast.
images

I can tell most of you don't live in a houseful of kids. Marriage is about compromise.
Exactly. I don't really hide my smoke from my wife, she is okay with it but I think she would be even happier not seeing smoke all over. She says it permeates her hair - if she has a hoodie one, she throws it over her hair when I am smoking.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yeah, when I was younger I blowtorched my way through life. The hotter the better. Since I've got married & had kids, one of the things I learned right quick is that Hey, its not all about me. There are others on this planet too. Being a militant pipe smoker is a bit of an oxymoron no? The pipe is supposed to settle you down, not torch the native villager's huts on fire.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
That's Subcomandante Marcos, leader of the Zapatista rebels in Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subcomandante_Marcos
I saw the documentary "A Place Called Chiapas" a few years ago. He's quite an enigmatic figure...
Kashmir, interesting smoking strategy. I would like to be able to make it work so I could see it from your side, but it is not an easy thing to do.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
While we're on the subject, I hear the champagne glasses clinkin' over there in Washington, over our dear departed comrad Chavez. Bet you the Bushs' down in Texas are piling on the BBQ over that bit 'o news.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I dunno man, I like a mouthful of thick thick smoke. Kinda hard to hide...

Status
Not open for further replies.