PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Ever been to the smoking tent at a pipe show? Best place in the world to see 500 pipe smokers all at one time. You've got the cigar guys over at the bar gettin sloshed. The young pipers figitin their pipes from one hand to another, looking at themselves in the mirror. Then you've got the old codgers sippin away with narry a smoke stream. Also, if you pipe 8 to 10 bowls a day like I do you'd get plumb exhausted bellowing out great clouds of smoke. Somethin like that.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Wow! I think I'm definitely out of my age group here. LOL. Ninja? Mutant Turtles? My nine year watches that crap on Cartoon Network. Think I'll excuse myself.

May 31, 2012
JofC270.png

cropped-krazy-kat-19160430-l1.png

YN2WQ.jpg

Coming soon to this location: charming ruins.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I hear what you are trying to say Kashmir. Although I don't have a reason to be "subtle" (I think that word might best describe what you are trying to convey), about my smoking, the less smoke, the better the taste. Thick plumes of smoke typically mean poor tobacco, poor pipe performance, an inexperienced user, etc. and above all heavy smoke leads to less flavor, at least in my experience. I like to smoke slow, it's more relaxing, prolongs your tobacco stash and as stated, certainly has more flavor.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I am trying to develop a slow technique like you're talking about. Usually my slow pipes end up being slow because I realize I packed them too tight!!

May 31, 2012
I've noticed the enhanced flavour with a gentle smoulder, it actually surprised me because I'm still learning and at first I was seriously overpuffing. I've found when the ember is too large that the flavour dissipates greatly, as well as a lower volume of smoke for some reason. My best smokes have been those slow smouldering ones where my cadence fell glacial & the bacco was at a perfect moisture level.
I've been smoking a pipe one year and three months.
It took me one full year to learn how to smoke the pipe to its fullest capabilities.
Maybe in two or three more years I will really learn how to smoke a pipe.
I don't think I'll ever quit learning.
This is not hyperbole!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have been smoking a pipe for several years now. You will always be refining your techniques.
If you are so lucky as to smoke a pipe for 40, 50, 60 years - you will still probably learn something new upon occasion. There is a lot about pipe smoking that is misunderstood...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I think smoking hot is the real death knell for latakia-based tobaccos.
With Virginias, it can be a blessing or a curse. I find that some VA tobaccos respond well to an increased temperature, but for the most part the result will be heat and harshness.
Old leathertongues among us, though, might find some charms in the burnt sugar aromas of an overheated VA. ;)

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
No kids, wife also smokes so thats why I said no reason to hide. Wouldn't pretend to tell you how to enjoy the hobby. Plus again no kids so any opinion I would give regarding them would be me being an idiot. Hope I didnt come off wrong in my earlier post

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I don't watch TV so I wouldn't know. I'm a radio & newspapers man myself. Never cared much for passive learning. Oh, the occassional movie every now and then, but I avoid regular programming like the plague.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I live alone with no kids and I still adopt this smoking style as often as possible. I'm not in love with nicotine or clouds of smoke. Pipe smoking for me is about flavour. The best flavour comes from the slowest possible smoking one can manage. I can make a bowl last for an hour and a half or longer because it is just at a slow smoulder. Every once in a while I will take a nice deep puff and the resulting cool smoke is so so so so flavourful and not one bit harsh in any way. It's a fantastic way to smoke. Breath smoking is also a wonderful method if you are looking for flavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.