PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I'm with pretty much everybody else; whatever/whoever/whenever, more pipers is a good thing. Some of them'll stick, & some won't. It's good for the hobby, regardless. :)
And just think, some of these hipsters are of the artsy fartsy type who like to create things. Give the bearded, flannel clad, lumberjack type hipster some briar and stem material... who knows what might happen!
Note: I have a beard and I often wear flannels, especially in cooler weather, but I'm not a hipster. I've been doing that most of my life. Flannels make sense.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Seeing as we are a dying breed(pipesmokers) anyone who takes up the pipe should be welcomed with open arms. We need as many new smokers as we can get so tobacco mfgs, pipes makers and retailers can survive.

Jan 8, 2013
Seeing as we are a dying breed(pipesmokers) anyone who takes up the pipe should be welcomed with open arms. We need as many new smokers as we can get so tobacco mfgs, pipes makers and retailers can survive.
It really is that simple.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I am glad my son is not a hipster, as I do not want you to encourage him to start smoking anything, whatsoever. Not even a vintage hipster pipe, with a hand cut ebonite stem and the best aged briar filled with a sublime English blend from the days of....Sorry, I have to go outside to smoke now.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The more people buying quality pipe tobacco tins the better. I agree that we need all the help we can get and I accept anyone with a genuine interest in smoking good tobacco. I would probably save a little scorn for someone who parades around with a pipe purely as an affectation but anyone who actually enjoys pipe smoking should be welcomed.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
One of my daily smokes is when I "walk" the dog, collection bag in hand. I usually take her to an apartment building across the street and I would often wave to a hipster couple as they came and left. The guy finally asked what I was smoking. I said "It's tobacco.", expecting that conversation, and he asked what blend and where I purchased it.
We had a nice conversation and walked back to the house where I showed him my plants. It's the first conversation I've had with a total stranger who was also a piper since I took up the pipe again.
I always thought of hipsters as a modern version of "plastic hippies", with just a mild derision. This guy was a fine individual who made my day. Hipsters be cool.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Proposal accepted^^. Especialy as I fall in at least with the Millenial category, so yeah, Pipe Smoking is not dead.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
We have a few in a pipe club I visit. Nice guys. Always trying to learn about pipe smoking. Sometimes have to reign in their political activism but that’s easy accomplished by turning up the tv

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'm find hipsters to be somewhat silly but don't mind them doing whatever it is they want to do. I was somewhat of a rebellious youth myself and gawd knows my parents didn't understand my style or music either. However, it has been said that hipsters are the dead end of western civilization, which is some interesting food for thought https://www.sproutdistro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/zine-hipster-screen.pdf

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As with any social group that defines itself with regalia, the person behind the regalia can often be engaged in about five minutes of conversation to broach their other interests, life challenges, doubts, ambitions, and other human interest. If you are sympatico with that particular individual, they soon realize they'd just as soon talk with you than some of their compatriots. Voila, a real human being. Whatever stereotyping my age, appearance, facial hair or manner of dress suggest, I suspect I have a little more to offer than that.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I *like* Millenials. My daughters, and their husbands, and friends, all fit into this age range. Kids who were friends and schoolmates of theirs, and are now having families and in careers, are on my Facebook friends list, 'cause they have known me almost all their lives. I meet these folks at church. The ones I know are great people.

Yeah, there is some silly stuff that goes on, but meh.

If some of these folks decide to try a pipe,for whatever reason, it's fine with me. It's not around as much as it used to be, so if they got the idea from LotR, so what? Are they all gonna stick with it? No, and neither did everyone who picked up a pipe 50 years ago,either. More power to them, say I. :puffy:

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I hated hipsters before it was mainstream...
Seriously though I know a few hipsters and they're ok as long as they don't try and tell me about why my politics are wrong. I was an idiot in my 20s too. Although by that time I had already served in the army.

Status
Not open for further replies.