PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I think anyone, regardless of their clique, taking part in pipes and tobacco is going to help, not hinder the industry. Pipe smoking is one of those pastimes that someone tries and sticks with, or tries and dislikes and moves on to something else. Those that find that they enjoy it, whether it be Doctor Rosenheim, Frankie the deli guy, Mike the butcher, Joe the rancher, Joe the mail carrier, Dave the attorney, Freddy the fire fighter, or Henry the hipster, are driving sales in the industry and therefore helping it. I'm all for anyone, regardless of race, religion, style, or political affiliation, smoking a pipe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Mentioned once or twice is the likelihood of pipe smoking being a fad for this younger group, to be soon outgrown.
As history repeats itself, every week I read of a new member, picking up a pipe for the first time in decades, since college, etc.
Meet the new hipster, same as the old hipster? :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think to be annoyed much less angered by hipsters, I'd have to be near a concentration of people who all assumed the same guise. LIke any other mass of people who have a marked difference from me, it might unsettle me. Taking a more anthropological approach, I sense there are thousands of groups referred to as hipsters who don't dress, act, or affect alike, and who don't recognize each other, and don't think of themselves as hipsters. Some are longhairs; some are buzz cut; some are studious; some are wild rovers. I suspect the "hipster" moniker doesn't refer to anyone precisely. There may be little pockets in Brooklyn or Portland, near campuses or high tech employment where the term adheres to some groups, but I doubt the various groups recognize kinship with each other. Generations can tend to feel some common thread -- music, media, some clothing, some interests. Sort of like "old geezeers." Lots of old fellas over 65, but after that, you have to learn who you're talking about, sometimes one at a time.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I was an 18 year old fresher aping the manners of a courtly old Forestry professor in 1996 when I picked up the pipe seriously.
The term didnt yet exist, but I guarantee most who saw me from a distance laughed. Glass houses for me, gentlemen, and I suspect for many of you.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I am a younger pipe smoker and I am quite happy to identify as a hipster (moustache & beard, the skinny jeans, organic stuff, music, the lot). There's no intentional irony about any of my affectations though. I didn't set out to be this way, it's like the universe collected a lot of things I like/am interested in and gave it a label. I am serious about pipe smoking, however. It's something I wanted to do since I was a child and it's become a really fun hobby for me. It's not "hipster culture" that drew me to it, otherwise I'd be vaping.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Oh boy. The wise old farts versus the man buns. I’m agreeing with the OP, people smoking pipes is good, period. As far as the generic badmouthing of some generation or other is concerned, please, continue to shake your cane at the person who can stand up without one and tell us how it was in your day.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm all for hipsters or anyone else taking up tobacco. I just hope they're registered voters who participate in our system, so maybe they can lend a hand with us not being legislated out of existence.

Yeh, we've had quite a few Hipster threads, and I have yet to discern the rage against this group. Granted, I don't have a lot of Hipsters in my area to study. But, people can live however they want, IMO. They want to spend their money on the same things I do, great. I can't see where another pipesmoker would have a problem with that. But, I don't always understand everyone else.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Many of everybody these days don't have a full-time job, and not necessarily by choice. Grump
Not a Grump at all. I've tried hiring many of them. If you sat where I did and experienced their entitled attitude and abysmal work ethic, you wouldn't call me a Grump, just a realist.
No Cosmic, not kidding. About a year ago, I had two of them in my Raleigh office. Right before heading down to visit, I got a call from an irate Customer. One of the two couldn't show up for a meeting at 8:00 AM that cost us a $20,000 job and definitely cost the kid over $2,000 in commissions. They were to pick me up at 10:00 AM for a 10:30 AM meeting with a Customer who was being a bit skittish anyway. They rolled in at 11:00, said they thought the meeting was 11:30. "My bad" they said. Lost that job as well.
Fired one but paid him more than he was actually owed. He and his GF started lighting up my company on Google and Facebook until I asked him if he wanted my Attorney to get involved. When I let the other one go, he apparently had "lost" a thousand dollar drone I had trusted him with.
I could fill this page up with similar stories. So no Cosmic, I wasn't kidding. These two losers were finding work on roofing crews when they could, having to bust ass to make $15 per hour. I provided them a very realistic opportunity to make a six figure income and they couldn't get out of their own way. And if you can't find a full time job in this economy, you aren't looking.

May 4, 2015
Two losers do not a generation make.
That said, are you hiring and what is the opportunity to work remotely? ;)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I may not be the Millennials' biggest fan, but how do the Baby Boomers get to destroy an entire country, pretend they made it "better", and not get any blowback? At least give the Millennials a chance to do their worst; we've already seen what the Boomers are capable of!

Jan 8, 2013
Yeh, we've had quite a few Hipster threads, and I have yet to discern the rage against this group.
It's even worse on Facebook. Personally, I attribute it to the junior high mentality of why one clique is better than the other. As grown adults, they're still doing it. Other than I'll never understand the man-bun (I wouldn't be wasting my hair in a bun like a school teacher if I could still grow it long... but that's just me), who cares what someone else looks like. One of the great things about this country (for us U.S.A folks anyway) is the freedom to style ourselves anyway we please, freedom to listen to what we like, freedom to read what we like, etc., etc. So if you want to wear your pointy rim glasses, wear capri pants with suspenders and a flannel, and loafers on your feet, curl your mustache (heck, I do that) and put your hair in a man bun, and smoke a pipe while your at it... by all means do so. And welcome to the pipe smoking club.

Status
Not open for further replies.