PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I got tired of using the method pictured above, so I opted for something different. A Bass Pro opened up near my house and had pistol cases for $5 each...

You can get 5-8 pipes in each case. Works out pretty well vis a vis sunlight reduction. puffy

View attachment 51809
Oh brother, while I admire your dedication to preservation, I wonder if your OC is catching up to your D.

???

— Pat

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well, I read the article, even though I'm not living a "dapper life" I figured that I'd be able to get the gist of it.

Basically, the author(s) of this little screed are thick as planks. Clueless about what they're writing about. The whole thing is mostly a waste of perfectly good 1's and 0's.
taab.JPG

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I clean my pipes using the hot water flush plus alcohol on pipe cleaners. I find that after this they have a mild ash tray smell. I store them on a rack in my study. After a few days there is no smell of ash tray. So I feel an open environment allows volatile agents to disperse.
So do this!!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Well, I read the article, even though I'm not living a "dapper life" I figured that I'd be able to get the gist of it.

Basically, the author(s) of this little screed are thick as planks. Clueless about what they're writing about. The whole thing is mostly a waste of perfectly good 1's and 0's.
I just love the binary retort! To leave the words out of it and pick on their binary expression goes to the ultimate level.

When I programmed in Assembler we regularly accounted for the correctness of our code by checking its hexidecimal representation. Examining a dump of 1's and 0's is incomprehensible.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I just love the binary retort! To leave the words out of it and pick on their binary expression goes to the ultimate level.

When I programmed in Assembler we regularly accounted for the correctness of our code by checking its hexidecimal representation. Examining a dump of 1's and 0's is incomprehensible.
That brings back happy(?) memories of going through mainframe dumps on 'music paper' in the middle of the night; usually with a set of coloured highlighters and a couple of IBM reference cards... ...odd thing is it was usually someone elses c**p code I was called in to sort out (still, I did paid overtime for it)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've run the experiment for forty years on some of my pipes, and various shorter periods of time for the rest of my pipes. I can attest that the forty year pipes have been stored either on racks or in drawers the whole time, indoors with normal central heating and air conditioning. My area in North Carolina is temperate, semi-tropical, and somewhat humid, but nothing like further south. To date I have experienced no deterioration of briar or stem materials. That said, pipe smokers have many superstitions and obsessive compulsive notions about keeping and smoking pipes, and for some of them, that is much of the pleasure. So leave them alone, and nod approvingly if they seem to need that, and then just put your pipes on a rack and let them be.

Reactions: leonardbill1
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I can understand the concern given what a pipe can cost today. I doubt anything I do can’t compare to where estate pipes have endured. I do keep the Peterson in the shipping box but not the cool little green bag.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have two pipe racks. One is a Savinelli Burlwould rack that holds 36 pipes. It is beautiful and it has holes on each side, three on each side. It is a real piece of work. My other rack holds 15 pipes and has some nice stained My 15 count rack is glass on the front. My goal is to gave only 51 pipes. If I am going to buy a new pipe, one has to go. Right now I have some nice room to add some pipes. It will be fun adding them. Right now my 15 count wrack is empty so I have plenty of room for additions. At one point I had around 90 something pipes I have been moving pipes at a very high rate.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
well now that we're on this one - wood is VERY stable-
I currently have in my possession a very OLD VERY VALUABLE PIECE OF WOOD - when I say very, it's estimated value is six figures -if this interest or intrigues you - PM me - it bores many so I don't get into it often:coffee:
I rarely worry about it -I don't have a controlled environment like endowed museums
the last thing I'd worry about is a stinky pipe following a smoke
I leave it in a room I don't typically hangout in to air out - considering the cold garage
I'm interested. Guessing it's a musical instrument...