SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I recall that early generations of the Peterson family recommended storing their pipes in a box of bog soil. Apparently its high alkaline content has curative effects on briar.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
What's the relative humidity where you live? The zip lock bags may be good, bad or indifferent depending on conditions in your house.

Bone dry winter, high humidity summer... You make a good point though sir. The only reason I put them in bags is so they don’t get scratched when I move the box, because they are all touching. I’m thinking because they are all dry to begin with they’d be fine.

But certainly worth considering and maybe airing them out once and while...

Reactions: BROBS

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
38 cases x 5-8 pipes = 190-304 pipes. That’s a lot of pipes!
And those are just the resting ones, like vampires in a crypt.

I have cobs all over since I don't case them, a large display full, churchwardens, NIB ones I haven't had time to smoke, and whichever pipes I am smoking/ planning to smoke/ or recently smoked not in those cases.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It’s always been my understanding for the ambient environment, high humidity or very dry, are not conditions you want.
This is an interesting article;
That whole site has some good information, and some terrible. They want to sell things.
And, yes, really high or low humidity is not ideal. At the same time, it might be wise to have the pipe acclimated to the actual humidity when you smoke it.

Reactions: PipeIT and BROBS

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
well now that we're on this one - wood is VERY stable-
I currently have in my possession a very OLD VERY VALUABLE PIECE OF WOOD - when I say very, it's estimated value is six figures -if this interest or intrigues you - PM me - it bores many so I don't get into it often:coffee:
I rarely worry about it -I don't have a controlled environment like endowed museums
the last thing I'd worry about is a stinky pipe following a smoke
I leave it in a room I don't typically hangout in to air out - considering the cold garage