PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I got tired of using the method pictured above, so I opted for something different. A Bass Pro opened up near my house and had pistol cases for $5 each...

You can get 5-8 pipes in each case. Works out pretty well vis a vis sunlight reduction. puffy

View attachment 51809
Not dissimilar to what I do. When not in use my pipes are in cases which reduces oxidation.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I had one nose warmer pipe that I kept in the car here in our sodden Pacific Northwest climate develop mold. I have had one or two pipes develop a loose fit in the stem to shank joint if they were not smoked for a long time. I don't leave the nose warmer in the car for weeks on end anymore and a few smokes tightens the joint on my rack queens. Unless you are giving up the pipe and saving your old briar for posterity I would ignore this so called advice!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is the link. If it works, or copy/paste.

Like I said, I think they're just trying to sell stuff. I do know wood reacts to its environment. I have no idea how briar reacts. They claim your pipe can be damaged by "shock" if you leave it set for extended periods and then light up.

I know how to smoke a pipe, but I do not have enough experience with them to know what happens over time.

But thinking about it, my dads pipes have been in a cigar box for 30+- years. I just recently found them. You know how it is, you put something somewhere, time passes, and you forget. I think sometimes my girlfriend hides stuff to screw with me. At least that's what the dog said. LOL!!

Anyway I guess I have nothing to worry about. If there was, my girlfriend has these air tight containers. I could snag some, she'd never miss them. "I don't know" is a very good cover up, or "I don't use it, so how would I know", of course the second excuse could backfire if she sees it in my studio. I paint, so what!! I do have several of her containers with paint and brushes in them. She still hasn't asked about them. She buys them by the pound, I think?

I have this big rolling suitcase for my handguns. It has this perforated foam you pull out to fit it to your guns. But I had a bunch of plastic handgun cases so I haven't done anything with it yet. It was on sale last year, black Friday thing. Got it for $10-$15. It'll fit like 5-8 handguns and 2 mags per gun. It wouldn't take much to adapt it to pipes. Its airtight and waterproof.

I'm also working on a cabinet for my pipes. I'm adding more shelves to set my pipes on. Thinking of building a simple drawer for the bottom or top. My Fordom will address the part where the bowls will sit. Then all I need to do is drill some holes for the stems. I need to remove current shelf and measure for pipes.

View attachment 51818

View attachment 51819
Well, I read the article, even though I'm not living a "dapper life" I figured that I'd be able to get the gist of it.

Basically, the author(s) of this little screed are thick as planks. Clueless about what they're writing about. The whole thing is mostly a waste of perfectly good 1's and 0's.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I read the article, even though I'm not living a "dapper life" I figured that I'd be able to get the gist of it.

Basically, the author(s) of this little screed are thick as planks. Clueless about what they're writing about. The whole thing is mostly a waste of perfectly good 1's and 0's.

It seems they are quite interested in selling humidors and Boveda packs among other things.
The only thing I like about the site was they recommended getting some small hygrometers!

And love this sentence. Please read it if you wood:

Like wooden instruments, we suggest that pipes are best stored in an RH of between 40 to 55%. Lower humidities would stress the would.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I keep mine on the pipe racks away from direct sunlight ,after the smoking I use to apply light coating of obsidian oil to my pipes with vulcanite stems,this obsidian oil application may not necessary but I guess doing so it may prevent(slow) oxidation i guess

Reactions: BROBS

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
This summer, I was gifted an old Brigham that is from the 1940’s or 50’s latest. It was never stored in special way, and it’s near mint condition. Same with other antique pipes I have. The finish will protect the outer wood and the tobacco resin the inside wood.

Having said that I just recently stored about 15 pipes I don’t smoke now, and just put ziplock backs around them, socks for the Meers, and all together in a cheap dollar store plastic box, works great, even has a handle. Pipes I’m smoking now I just leave on the coffee table.

Reactions: macaroni and BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This summer, I was gifted an old Brigham that is from the 1940’s or 50’s latest. It was never stored in special way, and it’s near mint condition. Same with other antique pipes I have. The finish will protect the outer wood and the tobacco resin the inside wood.

Having said that I just recently stored about 15 pipes I don’t smoke now, and just put ziplock backs around them, socks for the Meers, and all together in a cheap dollar store plastic box, works great, even has a handle. Pipes I’m smoking now I just leave on the coffee table.

What's the relative humidity where you live? The zip lock bags may be good, bad or indifferent depending on conditions in your house.