PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Sometimes I'll go a couple weeks, maybe even a couple months before smoking again. I've been reading that's its important to store your pipes in something like a humidor or food container. Thing is I don't know if they're saying it to get me to buy something through their blog.

So I know wood breathes, I know it reacts to its environment, but I have no idea how briar is affected by its environment. So I have no idea if they're ok in a old cigar box, or if I need something that can be humidified.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Sometimes I'll go a couple weeks, maybe even a couple months before smoking again. I've been reading that's its important to store your pipes in something like a humidor or food container. Thing is I don't know if they're saying it to get me to buy something through their blog.

So I know wood breathes, I know it reacts to its environment, but I have no idea how briar is affected by its environment. So I have no idea if they're ok in a old cigar box, or if I need something that can be humidified.

Thanks

Where is this "blog"?..
I have to see this nonsense for myself.

I've been reading that's its important to store your pipes in something like a humidor or food container.
Think about it this way... does smokingpipes or any retailer sell anything like what is described? Do they sell things for people to store their pipes on/in? Does it sound remotely feasible?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
This is the second time I've heard this. First time was last year at a pawn shop. I was buying some tools and asked the owner if he ever got in any old tobacco pipes. He said no "because you have to store them in a humidor and all that and we just don't have the room or the money to set all that up". I didn't argue the point but thought it was strange. Seems like there are definitely some people who really believe this though.
Like everyone else said, anywhere indoors is fine. I have a pipe in my truck year round and it sees below 0 to 100+ degree temps. Never caused me any problems but it's a beater and I wouldn't do that with a nice pipe. Moral of the story, pipes aren't that fussy.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

Thanks

I've been smoking a pipe for well over 30 years now, and I might get cancelled on here for what I'm about to say because there seems to be something of a cancel culture on this site (not all members, mind you, but many), but, for the last 20 years I've been letting my pipes dry out after cleaning, disassembled and in open air (in my garage mostly), then putting them in a Tupperware container with Minute Rice in it. When I take them out, they don't smell (that bad anyway), smoke like a charm, and never had any mortise/tenon issues. That's what I do, and I'm sure others do it differently.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
This is the link. If it works, or copy/paste.

Like I said, I think they're just trying to sell stuff. I do know wood reacts to its environment. I have no idea how briar reacts. They claim your pipe can be damaged by "shock" if you leave it set for extended periods and then light up.

I know how to smoke a pipe, but I do not have enough experience with them to know what happens over time.

But thinking about it, my dads pipes have been in a cigar box for 30+- years. I just recently found them. You know how it is, you put something somewhere, time passes, and you forget. I think sometimes my girlfriend hides stuff to screw with me. At least that's what the dog said. LOL!!

Anyway I guess I have nothing to worry about. If there was, my girlfriend has these air tight containers. I could snag some, she'd never miss them. "I don't know" is a very good cover up, or "I don't use it, so how would I know", of course the second excuse could backfire if she sees it in my studio. I paint, so what!! I do have several of her containers with paint and brushes in them. She still hasn't asked about them. She buys them by the pound, I think?

I have this big rolling suitcase for my handguns. It has this perforated foam you pull out to fit it to your guns. But I had a bunch of plastic handgun cases so I haven't done anything with it yet. It was on sale last year, black Friday thing. Got it for $10-$15. It'll fit like 5-8 handguns and 2 mags per gun. It wouldn't take much to adapt it to pipes. Its airtight and waterproof.

I'm also working on a cabinet for my pipes. I'm adding more shelves to set my pipes on. Thinking of building a simple drawer for the bottom or top. My Fordom will address the part where the bowls will sit. Then all I need to do is drill some holes for the stems. I need to remove current shelf and measure for pipes.

16057190798976801404934612411749.jpg

16057191681685954901240707215179.jpg

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Think about it this way... does smokingpipes or any retailer sell anything like what is described? Do they sell things for people to store their pipes on/in? Does it sound remotely feasible?

Well most places don't sell pipe cabinets. They do sell humidors if they sell cigars. But there are a couple high end pipe shops, in the UK mostly, that sells pipe cabinets. $300+ a pop. Figured I'd build one.

Also my local cigar/pipe tobacco shop sells cigar boxes for $1. Figured I'd get one of those maybe if I found one good enough to serve as a pipe humidor would be better than $30+ for a wood cigar humidor or for a plastic one.

I can't understand that. How can a plastic box be the same price as a wood box? $30 for a plastic box. You can find acrylic/plastic boxes on eBay and Amazon for a couple bucks. Even food storage containers are less than that.

My girlfriend quit smoking about 30 years ago. I quit cigarettes about 20 years ago. So she doesnt like the smell. I don't like the smell either when I open the pipe box it smells like an old ashtray. But when I'm smoking I actually find the smell of the tobacco pleasant. The ashtray smell, that I can do without.

So I put in some odor eaters and some activated charcoal in a very small, think paper condiment cup size , zip lock container with holes. Wanted to see which was more effective. They both work the same, but the odor eater can be affixed to the top. Not cheap, but you can cut them up, store them in a zip lock, and they last forever. The little container uses the space a pipe can use.

So if you have issues with that ashtray smell, odor eaters are your ticket. I haven't had to change mine for some time. Been a minute. A long minute.

So it sounds like its a bunch of hooey. Truck pipes year round and no cracks, they haven't been shocked and ran away in fear or shattered. So I'll just keep them in my cigar box until the cabinet is done. The dog thinks it's a good idea too.