PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Hey... looks like you ended up with some nice birds eye grain on the left side. Nice job!

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Looks good Rosney.
While the stain may not have been what you envisioned, I think it shows off the beautiful grain that block has. It's almost like flame grain to birdseye.
Perhaps a Mullet grain :)
Either way, if mine turns out at least half as good I'll be a happy man.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
@Rosney, like Phil said, that birdseye not he left is a beaut. But that second pic you posted of the front right almost looks like an exploding star. I could stare at that for quite some time. Very nice.
@dutchman I really like the two tone stain. The shape almost looks like its begging for a companion piece to sit opposite it in a cabinet.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Finally got a start on it. Drew a rough outline and took it to my belt grinder with a 36 grit belt and a serrated contact wheel. It took me about 15 minutes to get it to a very rough shape. Considering that I could make a rough hollow ground blade from 440C or 154CM steel with this set up in about a half hour it’s not surprising that it took me such a short time and with wood as it’s like cutting through butter with a hot knife! Seeing that the kit I started with was quite small there was absolutely no need to use the band saw and I didn’t have much leeway as to the shape I wanted, but… whatever. Good practice for the next one.
Before:
1KqDnPL.jpg

After:
6Cnp7Ra.jpg

Setup:
aR03c9i.jpg

I then set up the machine with an open platen and a 120 grit belt, but even that was too aggressive and I then decided to take out the Dremel tool with a carbide tip and some Micro-planers.
Setup:
0bGujkV.jpg

Where I’m at now:
GGvIKJf.jpg

It’s still in a very rough form and not nearly to the shape I wish yet, but I’ll more likely than not continue with the belt grinder at times with 320 grit (with a VERY light touch) and some hand filling and sanding.
I’m in no rush and to be continued...

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for the kind words guys. It has definately given me the bug to make another.
I like the shape you are going for Phil.

K

klause

astrange1, that is absolutely mind-boggingly gorgeous............stunning!!!!!
Have you smoked it yet?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I've been so busy that I've not had a chance to even think of starting yet. All of these posts and threads are really getting me excited to start though!
I really like how your's came out Rosney!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well, this is as far as I got it. I brought it up from 120 grit paper to 4000 grit Micron polishing paper and it actually looks like it’s polished already although it’s not. I’m at a standstill right now as I realized that my buffer has way too many RPM for polishing/buffing. It was great for its use when I made knives, but for pipes… NO. I need some stain, and I’m currently searching for a relatively cheap 3 phase motor that I can hook up to a variable speed drive. I’m not in pursuit of one simply for the sake of working on this pipe, but I will need one as I wish to make more pipes, and hopefully make my own stems. One step at a time, and I’ll be checking in again with more progress, and of course some photos. ;)
Yes, I know it has some pits on the left side, but I’ve decided to leave it with a smooth finish.
zuWcLWL.jpg

HqJMz3F.jpg

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
That looks like it's going to fit very nice in the hand.
It does look like its already polished. I need to get a set of microfiber. My next stop tonight is Amazon.
Can't wait to see what you do with the stain phil67.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
My latest pipe project, a rusticated Hawkbill (my first) with a ox blood/black finish, stainless shank fittings and a brindle acrylic stem, sorry I didn't get my pictures of the process...

3XsHxEB.jpg
x5KS7QK.jpg
AjpGmuA.jpg

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
A new "Alter Ego" chubby Cherrywood Poker with brown & black contrast finish, ½ Contrast ½ Rusticated with Bocote wood shank embellishment and clear acrylic taper stem...

3iuP8az.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.