PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Looking good, Rosney! I like the shape you're going after a lot. I'd recommend thinning above the shank/stem junction a bit perhaps, to make the stem flow better

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks guys! Great idea Greg. I knew there was something off at that point but couldn't put my finger on it. That will give me a chance to tighten things up in that area too. Anybody else made any progress?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Still have to post some pictures of the kit, or I should kits as I have two. One is a plateaux but I'll save that one for my second attempt. I probably won't get started until after Christmas so no big rush. That and aside from the fact that I still have to get a few odds and ends, clean up the workroom and I'm also working on a dust collection system that I'll hook up to my shop vac for my belt grinder. Used that thing for years when making knives and I'm surprised I never took the time to make one before.

Jun 4, 2014
First a big thank you to ever one for the kind words. I'm getting toward the end of so here are a few photos.

First thing, I need to do was refine my shape and the sand, sand, and sand some more.

Here is the final shape after sanding

Next came a big decision, leave her smooth or rusticate. I'm partial to blast and rusticated pipes, but I wanted to do something that left me with a lot of control. I decided to use a small gouge 2mm no. 9 sweep to do a sort of smooth tree bark pattern on the sides and stem leaving the front and top smooth.

After this I need to stain her and do a little tweaking on the stem, then some more polishing and wax. The home stretch is in sight.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
@derfatdutchman That is a great looking pipe. I like that sweeping look on the front almost like it could rock itself. And then when I scrolled down to see your rustication pattern, I was impressed. Can't wait to see it finished. What are you looking at for stain colours?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Man im going to be ashamed to show off my pictures, I have zero skills with tools! That being said, I'm really looking forward to the project and plan on working on it over the Christmas holidays.
Nice work @derfatdutchman, I can only hope to make some look that nice!

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
It has been great watching the different pipes form. I am very impressed.
My kit arrived in the mail yesterday so I am very excited. I have all sorts of crazy ideas for this monster block of wood. I can draw them but I am a little worried it is going to be hard to translate that into carving. If things don't work out I am sure I can just smoke it how it is!
P1220089small_zps4a0633ba.jpg

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Awesome job on the rustication derfatdutchman. I have been comtemplating some sort of rustication on mine purely to hide some of my tool marks and ameture imperfections.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Here are my two kits. The first one is the one I’ll be working on first. Not much leeway as for material, but a good one to start with. The second one, which is a plateau will be next. Not all that crazy about the stem and I might work on a different one but one step at a time. I’ll more likely than not get started until after Christmas.
@ derfatdutchman Nice job on the rustication. Lookin good!
1KqDnPL.jpg

4gynYmn.jpg

Jun 4, 2014
Again thank you to all for the kind words. I hope my progress photos give some inspiration. I did a two tone stain on the pipe, black on the rusticated parts and mahogany on the smooth part. The top coat is carnauba wax. Here is the finished pipe, the only thing left to do is decide what to break it in with.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Great job dutchman! Good job with the rustication. I really like the shape and contrast between the rustication and the smooth area and also the two tones for staining

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
A couple of very nice pipes here, astrange this Briar, as with the African Meerschaum is bloody sweet, you should make them to sell, or do them on a commissioned basis. Should you have the time that is, you certainly have a talent for making pipes !

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I wanted to encourage everyone to post pictures as they carve even when it does not look as amazing as some of the pipes so far and in that vain I thought I would post a picture of my progress. My only goal is to be able to smoke it at the end of the carving process which simply means don't make a major mistake along the way.
I have an idea to create a somewhat twisted look on the shank. I was not entirely sure how I was going to go about this so I kept the shank pretty thick so I could try and get the basic shape and then I will slowly take it down the final thickness. The shape is pretty much there but it is a little wobbly in places.
P1220096_zpsb3ca9c23.jpg

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Well, here is my entry. It's a little rougher than I'd like, the stain isn't quite what I was in visioning, and the walls are thinner than I wanted. I had to stop working though because I'm afraid I won't have any pipe left. I guess it's ok for a first pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.