PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Because 2018 was the year that McClelland bit the dust, and BAT pulled the plug on "Dunhill" blends, or that K&K made changes to a lot of their blends, or that Doblone d'Oro stopped tasting like the old Va/Per Three Nuns, or that cheap West African DFK got shoved into EVERYTHING, or...

I have no idea.
You forgot about Chuck Barris.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ennerdale? What else
I was referring to number of forum members complaining. As for the blends, everything considered Lakeland hasn't been the same for the past several years. Prior to any changes, you never heard any review talking about how tobacco forward they were like you do now. There was so much topping going on in that factory that even the unflavored blends were ghosted with florals.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There was so much topping going on in that factory that even the unflavored blends were ghosted with florals.
This is certainly a major improvement at GH. The ghosting/bleeding of Lakeland into non-Lakeland blends has been greatly reduced if not eliminated. I’m not a big Lakeland fan, so it’s always a disappointment to find it where it’s not supposed to be.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I enjoyed the strong Lakeland flavors of ennerdale and 1792. They where what defined the blends for me, and they did vary by batch. I've not purchased any in years because MA banned them, so I cannot speak to the new tins. But it sure sounds like they are no longer what they were. Changing the old recipes would be, to me, a business mistake. But maybe they wanted to avoid some of the crazy new laws like the ban in MA on flavored tobacco? Don't know if other areas are under the same threats...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I wish to add for the record that Bob Gregory's version of events extends beyond what was included in the letter posted here, and that even the letter itself was redacted after consultation with legal counsil to remove any mention of anything that might expose Bob to legal reprisal from the Gawith family.
Yeah, a chat with Bob over several beers would be…enlightening.

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
I enjoyed the strong Lakeland flavors of ennerdale and 1792. They where what defined the blends for me, and they did vary by batch. I've not purchased any in years because MA banned them, so I cannot speak to the new tins. But it sure sounds like they are no longer what they were. Changing the old recipes would be, to me, a business mistake. But maybe they wanted to avoid some of the crazy new laws like the ban in MA on flavored tobacco? Don't know if other areas are under the same threats...

1792 still tastes like 1792 to me, praise the Great Tortoise

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
By coincidence, on Friday I received 2 tins of KC flake from an online vendor.
Date code of 08 318 (07-08-2021) and the contents were completely dry.....I'm not sure of the tins being used today, but those from that time period are worthless as far as maintaining their seal.
IMO Gawith would benefit greatly by going to a round tin.
The topping on the last Ennerdale I purchased was faint at best.
I really like the older strong Gawith Lakeland essence and hope/pray it returns.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Finding a way to do it without affecting the blends that should have it though would've been nice. Selling Ennerdale as it is now would be like passing off Penzance with no latakia hoping that customers wouldn't notice.
So Ennerdale was even stronger in flavor before? That would’ve been an experience. I got 1oz of bulk and upon opening the box I stated to feel woozy from the smell. Mind you I am pretty sensitive to perfume scents.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
This is certainly a major improvement at GH. The ghosting/bleeding of Lakeland into non-Lakeland blends has been greatly reduced if not eliminated. I’m not a big Lakeland fan, so it’s always a disappointment to find it where it’s not supposed to be.
Who's to say they didn't want the other tobaccos to have flavoring. Skiff has a light casing on it to me. Maybe rose water or something else, but definitely not the same flavorings used on the other blends. I love it, but wouldn't consider it to be a traditional Lakeland by any means.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
By coincidence, on Friday I received 2 tins of KC flake from an online vendor.
Date code of 08 318 (07-08-2021) and the contents were completely dry.....I'm not sure of the tins being used today, but those from that time period are worthless as far as maintaining their seal.
IMO Gawith would benefit greatly by going to a round tin.
The topping on the last Ennerdale I purchased was faint at best.
I really like the older strong Gawith Lakeland essence and hope/pray it returns.
If they did go to a round tin, it may not have the same full size flakes, they'd be much more broken. It's a trade off I suppose.

Reactions: Clamarnicale
G

Gimlet

If they did go to a round tin, it may not have the same full size flakes, they'd be much more broken. It's a trade off I suppose.
I buy GH/SG tobaccos in the rectangular tins and Peterson and Solani in round ones. I prefer the rectangular tins. Flake looks just the same as it does when bought loose. In the round tins it's more heavily trimmed, so much so I wonder if there's a completely different cutting process involved.
The square tins are more convenient as well as you get a larger lid to rub out on and a lighter and knife will fit inside.

I've never bought a square GH tin that had a failed seal and dry tobacco inside. It's always firmly vacuum sealed and the tobacco in perfect condition. I notice all those who complain about the GH tins seem to be non-UK smokers, so maybe if there is a problem it's in the shipping rather the tin itself.
I would have thought square tins would be better for export because square packages waste less space. If seals are failing maybe they need to be packed differently when shipped in bulk.

Reactions: gawithhoggarth