PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic ... if your blenders are making their products available, that's all I ask, and good job to them. That's my point.

Reactions: J.GANDY

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm no expert here. But to my understanding the rope are dang near self contained. I mean historically speaking of rope, they're kind of almost designed in a way to be preserved or aged, kept for the long haul. Much can be said for the plug also I guess.

Heck, maybe there isn't much demand for ropes, I don't know.

I
they're a pain. You have to take extra steps and some people can't even cut a banana let alone a plug or rope.

Reactions: J.GANDY

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
King B Twist. It's not the same or as good as the Gawith ropes.. but I do enjoy it. Seems like I remember you saying you're in GA, if that's the case, you should be able to find King B.. and possibly the other ropes Cosmic mentioned, at the nearest tobacco store.
I will search for q few and see what I can turn up. Aside from one "real" tobacco shop which mostly caters to cigars, the rest are head/vape shops. Or maybe that's where I should be looking???

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
they're a pain. You have to take extra steps and some people can't even cut a banana let alone a plug or rope.
I can understand that. I have carved lots of wood, metal, plastic or just about anything else that can possibly be rendered. If that fails, I have a chainsaw!?

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Not to be a bothersome old contrarian, but should we be encouraging the blenders who can't get their product to market? So many fine blends are readily, nearly continuously available. I like the old supply and demand principle when it works. The blenders should be chasing us.
I am willing to support anyone producing a quality product. Large or small.

For me, prepping a rope or twist is so much easier than a plug. I just lay my cigar cutter down flat on a table. I place the rope end in it, and cut it the thickness between the blade and the table it is laying on, snip, snip, snip, till I completely coin up the whole thing, and then put it in an old tin or a jar. I get consistent thicknesses that way.

My main concern would be mould, even from the inside like what happened to @rajangan
I let my ropes dry for a few days to weeks, then I put them in a jar and heat them in the oven or a crock pot to 150F for 8hours to a day to make sure the heat has soaked through. 140F for 10 minutes is FDA approved pasteurization to kill mold spores, but the extra heat helps to mellow them out a little... meld the flavors.

Then I just pit the jars of ropes In the cellar to age at least a year before cracking them open. The samples I’ve shared with friends here seemed to like them. I love them, if I do say so myself.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I let my ropes dry for a few days to weeks, then I put them in a jar and heat them in the oven or a crock pot to 150F for 8hours to a day to make sure the heat has soaked through. 140F for 10 minutes is FDA approved pasteurization to kill mold spores, but the extra heat helps to mellow them out a little... meld the flavors.

Then I just pit the jars of ropes In the cellar to age at least a year before cracking them open. The samples I’ve shared with friends here seemed to like them. I love them, if I do say so myself.
Thanks for the tips. Crock pot has become my best friend with home grown. What variety’s of tobacco have you found successful when rope making? And do you bother with alcohol for casing?

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
This is just a batch from a few years ago. I've gotten better at twisting them. I try to make five or so pounds of Virginia twists, 5 or so of VaBurs, and some with smoke cured, and a few pounds with my orientals and cigar leaf, and I've got some with some homemade latakia. I also make about twelve or so pounds of ribbon a year. I didn't plant Virginias this year, because of lockdown. I had to make growing food top priority, and besides, I'm damn near or over 400 lbs of tobacco. And, at my age, I probably won't smoke it all before I'm dead.
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
19.jpg
18.jpg

I use a stacked barrel type of smoker to make a fire cured or smoke cured, whatever you want to call it. But, really, any tobacco makes a damn fine twist, IMO. I have some rustica/Nicaraguan-ligero leaf twists that makes a damn fine before bed smoke, but I am smoking it sparingly these days.

Oh, and I have a citric acid, malic acid, and honey recipe that I use as a casing. It comes out as a nice smooth smoke for me, without too much flavor added. Just enough for my tastes.

Not to bore you gentlemen, but this is my homemade flue for curing my Virginias and color curing. It makes a nice cigar leaf and red Virginia. It is being used right now to cure sweet potatoes, ha ha.
I use a crockpots in the bottom with humidity and heat controllers to monitor heat and humidity. Rigged it myself after spending a few years talking to the experts.
14.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.