PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Yes! So far so good. I bought that in 2016. When I open a new jar, I will keep you in mind and if you are still interested I will send some your way. The only stuff I have open right now is already cut and rubbed out.. I believe that would take most of the fun out of it for you.
That's very generous and kind of you. Thank you!

Well that’s just awesome! Do you case the leaves before twisting? Have you played around with different toppings or added flavors? I think making a rose water simple syrup sprayed on a twist (or however you go about that) would be a fun experiment... you know something more like Condor as opposed to a Lakeland. Or you could spray Chanel No. 5 on one and call it a day. :LOL:
I mentioned it above, I have a citric acid, malic acid, honey mix that I use. I just steam the leaves a little to make them pliable, destem, and then use a spray bottle to apply a light coat. I have a weird aversion to sticky on my fingers, so I use a very light coat. I tried using calcium prop as anti microbial one year, but it had a weird taste to it. So, I started using the pasteurization method instead, and the light acids taste way better, IMO. This casing has a light honey apple flavor, very much in the background, not a forward sweetness at all. I've tried rum and licorice, but I have settled on this one.

Roses.... mmmm, maybe not my taste. But, try it.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I like them, or else I'd be foolish for keeping it up, ha ha. Well... maybe that wouldn't be the best qualifier with my rep, ha ha.

I twist them that way, because making ribbon with my teeny weeny table mounted rolling cutter takes way too long and frustrates me having to constantly unclog the cutting wheel. And, making a long rope... well, it's just unwieldy trying to shove a long rope in a jar. I watched a feller make a twist on youtube, and just took it from there. I think that the shape works great for hanging to dry, and I can shove a bunch of them in a jar for aging. I usually cut them up after a year and then rejar it again for the long haul. Sometimes I get lazy and just them ride in that shape in the jars. I like to chop up the twisted part too and smoke it separately, because it is usually the plain ol Virginia or burley, whatever I am using for the wrapper.
That is pretty awesome! Stick to your guns, skills only get better with time. From where I'm sitting you got a handle on things. Impressive!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Mark (Hoosier) drops by when he is visiting in this area, and I let him fill his pipe from my stash. And, when I visit with other fellow forum members, I'll bring my homegrown along also. I figure that's not the same as violating any ATF rules.

If any of you guys are in Alabama or passing through, I'm just off the interstate in a quaint little town with a smoking bar. I also visit the Ashville NC area frequently. I also bring along some of my homemade wines and my high gravity ginger beer.

Awe heck, everyone just come on over. I've got a batch of ginger cider I'm about to start bottling up. Bring some meat for the grill. We'll make it a party. puffy
If I lived near you, you probably couldn’t get me to leave... you could adopt me! Haven’t you always wanted a 40 year old man child for a son? You’re lucky I don’t live near by... I’d be that guy.

Nah not really, to be honest that’s the opposite of my true personality, that’s why forums are good for me. I’m kind of bordering on agoraphobia, so you’d probably never see me, even if I lived next door, I’m not a very social person, even though I try to be, it’s just not in my nature... Though, I’d probably work up the nerve to go have a pipe with you! I think @jaytex969 and I have been talking about getting together for 4 years now. Sorry Jay, it’s gonna happen one of these days.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That's very generous and kind of you. Thank you!
If it ends up slipping my mind, just nudge me to remind me. I’ll be going through my cellar soon to bag some square tins in Mylar so I might break out a jar soon. It’s a huge task that I’ve been putting off for too long.

Reactions: J.GANDY

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I mentioned it above, I have a citric acid, malic acid, honey mix that I use. I just steam the leaves a little to make them pliable, destem, and then use a spray bottle to apply a light coat. I have a weird aversion to sticky on my fingers, so I use a very light coat. I tried using calcium prop as anti microbial one year, but it had a weird taste to it. So, I started using the pasteurization method instead, and the light acids taste way better, IMO. This casing has a light honey apple flavor, very much in the background, not a forward sweetness at all. I've tried rum and licorice, but I have settled on this one.

Roses.... mmmm, maybe not my taste. But, try it.
Ah yes, sorry about that, I’m bad at reading a thread all the way through before posting. Thank you for explaining anyway. Sounds like a helluva lot of fun.

Mr Gandy, I apologize. I am just now realizing that I've messed up your thread. You just get you some of those twists. Cotton Boll is my absolute favorite commercial twist. It has a very strong cigar like flavor, if you like strong. And, if you ever want to try your hand at twisting your own, hit me up. I am always willing to share whatever info this peabrain has accumulated.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Mr Gandy, I apologize. I am just now realizing that I've messed up your thread. You just get you some of those twists. Cotton Boll is my absolute favorite commercial twist. It has a very strong cigar like flavor, if you like strong. And, if you ever want to try your hand at twisting your own, hit me up. I am always willing to share whatever info this peabrain has accumulated.
I actually still have a rope of Cotton Boll somewheres... I’m going to have to revisit it. At the time I was smoking it I wasn’t aware it had Rustica, or maybe I was, I just didn’t really know what that meant. I remember it being pretty rough even though I do like strong tobaccos. I’m sure the age on it has mellowed it out some.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That sounds like a horrible task you have ahead of yourself! ? Might find something your forgot you had.
Hahaha! It actually will be really fun, I’m just worried that I won’t be able to get it back in such a neat order I have it in now, it will be like playing Tetris. I have way too much tobacco (that’s a good thing) so I’m sure I will discover a lot of blends I forgot I had... that is always fun! I just need to wait until I have the time, it may take several days to accomplish.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
You are a gentleman, but no apologies need! Hell, you've added more to the conversation than I could have asked.

Thank YOU, for sharing some of your more in depth knowledge of tobacco with everyone. I have learned more than a thing or two on this thread myself and I'm sure others have as well. Some fine people here!

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Hahaha! It actually will be really fun, I’m just worried that I won’t be able to get it back in such a neat order I have it in now, it will be like playing Tetris. I have way too much tobacco (that’s a good thing) so I’m sure I will discover a lot of blends I forgot I had... that is always fun! I just need to wait until I have the time, it may take several days to accomplish.
It might be better than before. Enjoy your tetris!

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I'm planning on growing my own as soon as I get some more land. There are a lot of old tobacco barns around here, maybe I can find some land with one that is still usable.

To the original question in the thread, I saw GL Pease Jacknife Plug was mentioned but I didn't see anybody mention the more Virginia forward Triple Play Plug that GL Pease makes. I've enjoyed it with a few years on it but I've got a couple tins from 2011 I think that I need to get around to trying. I definitely prefer it to Jackknife. Never been a big dark-fired tobacco fan.

The Peterson 3P's plug is great and usually pretty readily available. Salty Dogs is definitely worth the extra few bucks in my opinion. There's also Samuel Gawith Plugs which you can order from overseas. Occasionally the SG Kendal Plug, which is the Best Brown Flake in plug form, will make its way to the US. The one I've smoked the most of recently has been Wessex Gold Brick and it was recently available on most sites for a while but it's often sold out and can be a little pricey sometimes.

If you're going to take a look at kbven.com for the G&H twists, which you should definitely do if you can't find them elsewhere, keep an eye out for Jupiter Slices. It hasn't been available for a while but it's a tasty red VA plug.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
This thread reminded me i still had a little twist I had made of air cured Virginia and burley I grew last summer. I sliced it up and smoked some, tastes like hay, black pepper and damp autumn leaf piles, and was quite a bit higher in nicotine than i was expecting, got that spicy tight throat feeling from a small bowl in a tiny cob. Highly entertaining process overall, would recommend anyone curious to try it for themselves.

20200918_212642.jpg
20200918_215230.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.