PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good pipe retail sites give a complete set of specifications including the diameter of the chamber and depth. A small bowl is around .7 inches and an inch or less deep. So read those specs. Some small pipes have slightly larger bowl chambers, but you can fill any pipe partially for a shorter smoke. Small pipes are compact and well-suited to shorter smokes, sampling, or medium smokes with flake/coin/plug/rope cuts. A few sites use the old Dunhill Group categories, though the actual specs for these are elusive. Iwan Ries uses these, so I learned them from ordering their pipes. Group 1 & 2 are very small; Group 3 intermediate small; Group 4 is medium; and Groups 5 and 6 are extra large.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
How small do you need? Corn cob pipes can be small. Prince shape can be small. Peterson 406 is very small for me.
I am amazed at how small cob inner diameters are and how well they smoke.

Cobs aside, most all of my pipes are less than 1.5” deep and between .75 and .80 inner diameter.

45 min to one hour are the norm and I genuinely like these dimensions.

If you’ve not smoked a cob, it’s something to try...at least once.

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
I use these for a quick smoke:

I like them puffy puffy

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
There are a lot of great pipes with small bowls. I have a few Barlings, an Ashton, a Kurtz, a Meerschaum and a Comoy's that are good small bowl pipes and work really well for very strong tobaccos or flakes and plugs when I don't have time for a larger bowl.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy