PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Get a Falcon stem. New ones are scarce, so buy an estate Falcon and buy some Falcon Bantam bowls from across the pond. The stems are easy to clean up and are fairly indestructible, so don't fret too much over the used stems. I have three stems, the oldest being a 1972, and the newest about three years old. I keep 9 bowls of various sizes. New bowls are 25 to 30 dollars each and will expand your pipe line up cheaply.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Get a Falcon stem. New ones are scarce, so buy an estate Falcon and buy some Falcon Bantam bowls from across the pond. The stems are easy to clean up and are fairly indestructible, so don't fret too much over the used stems. I have three stems, the oldest being a 1972, and the newest about three years old. I keep 9 bowls of various sizes. New bowls are 25 to 30 dollars each and will expand your pipe line up cheaply.
Whoops! I forgot to add that Falcons are great work pipes. They sit when you put them down and will never sour if you leave it with some liquid in the humidome. If you are painting or using chemicals you can grab the pipe from the stem and clean the crap off it later with paint thinner. I hate mucking up briars with paint smears! Enjoy!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I bought two Group 1 or 2 pipes from Tarek Manadily, hell if I can tell the difference, but small, a bent rusticated Prince. Always loved that pipe and smoked multiple bowls in it every week. I also had a a small Barling that served.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I believe most of the Ropp Vintage pipes on SP on pretty smallish. I have a 29C and it’s definitely on the smaller side.

The Butz-Choquin Belami line is pretty small too. I have a lovat that’s a good portable pocket pipe, suitable for a shorter smoking session.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
How about Chris Morgan Bones? There are several shapes to choose from, they're cool looking, pocket friendly and have a relatively small chamber. Also, if you loose one you don't care too much. Highly recommended.

Reactions: marconi

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have a few pipes with tiny bowls(5min tops). I find them to be a very annoying waste of time. They just start to get you revved up, and then its over.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am thinking of those tavern clay pipes with the break off stems, tobacco was a luxury back then. Being able to enjoy , even a small quantity was a luxury. Perhaps today we smoke too much and don’t savor. Not being negative, just thinking .
and people also tended to smoke stronger tobaccos too at that time. If I understand it correctly.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Missouri Meerschaum has several smaller pipes that work great as short smoke break pipes. I've had several decent smoking basket pipes in smaller dimensions. A Comoy Zulu in my rotation is a small but long burning bowl. And lastly, most of my estate workman's pipes (Grabows, Kaywoodies, Medicos, etc.) tend to run smaller.

For me and how my milage varies, my smaller pipes tend to be work or doing stuff pipes. Something I can just stick in my mouth and puff away as I'm doing ___, without worrying about dropping it into the ___. Or when the boss comes out with something, I can just tamp it out and stuff back into a pocket. So that's where I came up with my cobs and vintage/antique store finds.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I don't know if it is "best practice" to do this but I have started calculating the volume of the chamber when looking at a pipe online and comparing it to those of the pipes I already own. The volume I get from the calculation isn't 100% accurate but it is a good indicator.

This helps me a fair bit because I am a really slow smoker and it takes me around an hour to smoke through what I consider to be an average sized bowl.
I realize that you don't need to fill the pipe completely but it just feels wrong somehow leaving empty space.