PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beeb

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
My favorite pipe is a savinelli 320 KS. Its great, but the bowl is very big and takes a lot of time to smoke. I have looked at a Savinelli 321, but the bowl feels like medium size bowl? Anyone who knows a great pipe with a smaller bowl for a quicker smoke?

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My favorite pipe is a savinelli 320 KS. Its great, but the bowl is very big and takes a lot of time to smoke. I have looked at a Savinelli 321, but the bowl feels like medium size bowl? Anyone who knows a great pipe with a smaller bowl for a quicker smoke?
I guess chamber size is relative to the smoker, a 320 for me is too tiny. Have you tried SPC's Pipe Locator?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Perhaps a Falcon? The bowls are smaller and their Bantam bowls are smaller yet. I find them particularly well suited for quick smokes.

Lots of other options but that’s my choice for smaller pipes.

Otherwise Dunhill group 1 or 2 bowl sizes are a good starting point although that designation is mostly a Dunhill thing. Other brands might refer to it though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You should learn what all the Dunhill group sizes are as they are an excellent way to learn how big or small a pipe is. The group sizes are guides, they are not exact but they are very useful. If you are on ebay looking for a good size pipe like a group 5 size, once you know the sizes you will just pass by all the pipes that don't fit what you are looking for.

The group sizes are for the bowl size, not the length or weight of a pipe.
A standard group 5 is around the following dimensions.
Bowl height- 1.86-2.15"
Bowl depth 1.35-1.75"
Inside bowl width .75 - 1.00"

You can get a large group 4 and one guy will call it a small group 5, and both guys can be right. As I said, they are a guide and not an exact thing.
Dunhill group sizes go from group 1-6 and the largest is called an ODA.
I hope this helps you.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
You're probably looking for something smaller than .75" across, and shorter than 1.5".

As others have said, MM makes a number of cobs that would fit the bill. The 5th Ave Diplomat has exactly the bowl dimensions I suggest above.

Other ideas would be not smoking the whole bowl, but saving the second half for later, which is totally fine and likely wouldn't effect the flavor (sometimes it even improves the flavor), or filling half/three quarter bowls.