PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So would you say dry less or don’t dry at all?
With aromatics, little to no dry time.

Do you zip your tins into bags or just leave them out?
If I don't smoke the tin in a day or two I put the contents into a jar.

MacBaren’s from the pouch doesn’t really bite but all my aros from tins see to but if I’m not very careful.
Likely less propylene glycol.

Thanks again.
Very welcome. 👍

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If you don't mind me asking, at what RH level do you feel the tobacco is dry enough for smoking?
18-20 % is usually the optimal percentage. But there are other factors to consider, such temperature and humidity of the environment you’ll be smoking in. Summer and Winter where I live are at the extreme of those factors, so some adjustment is necessary.

The main thing is that the oils and the flavinoids in the tobacco are best realized when the tobacco has a some moisture, and if it’s too dry they are not able to be noticed. It’s sort of a matter of experimentation and experience that comes with time.

Tobacco can be “revitalized” by adding moisture if necessary. Sometimes just as simple as breathing a few breaths through the tobacco column before setting it alight.

Experiment and find what works best for you.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I do not know what to say. The only advice I would give to a beginner is this: If your pipe starts gurgling, clean it with a cleaner when you reach the middle of the bowl, and then keep smoking. This might help.

Bikes&Briar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
www.youtube.com
I thought I’d stick some questions here in the hope of avoiding starting a new thread. I’ll admit a few things I’m a bit ashamed to say. I smoked pipes for a few years before quitting. Recently I’ve started again. I’m smoking more aromatics now due to my having a family and the fact that I’m smoking inside. Anyway, I have to admit that I’ve suffered from tongue bite now and then and that I’ve struggled to moderate cadence. I’ve improved though and I have had success in eliminating the problem. One thing I’ve been doing is thoroughly drying out the tobacco (as is suggested here) before smoking. I’m talking an hour of drying time. However, I often find that I get no flavor sometimes out of these smokes. I wonder, can (over ) drying tobacco eliminate the flavor? I’m not drying it all day. I’m doing this with aros such as Solani Red and Blue Note. Strangely, I’ve noticed that my MacBaren Vanilla Loose Cut from the pouch almost always has good flavor without bite and without any drying. Am I simply drying the tin tobacco too much? I tend to put new tins in zip lock bags. Should I stop doing that as well, to let them dry out on their own? Thanks folks.
I’m a beginner also. Super green. I’ve maybe smoked 6 or so bowls. My first bowl, I huffed and huffed until my tongue was tingling for days afterwards. I did some research and decided that the best approach was to dry out my aro. I dried it for maybe 30 minutes. When I smoked, it seemed to lose a lot of its flavor, which was disappointing. You’ve likely come a long way since Christmas. So I’m in no position to be offering advice. Just sharing that you aren’t alone.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I’m a beginner also. Super green. I’ve maybe smoked 6 or so bowls. My first bowl, I huffed and huffed until my tongue was tingling for days afterwards. I did some research and decided that the best approach was to dry out my aro. I dried it for maybe 30 minutes. When I smoked, it seemed to lose a lot of its flavor, which was disappointing. You’ve likely come a long way since Christmas. So I’m in no position to be offering advice. Just sharing that you aren’t alone.
When guys talk about drying out tobacco, I don't think they're talking about "30 minutes". puffy

Reactions: milk

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I think aros need a lot more technique than other types of tobacco though all types need some experience in pipe smoking. I have an added problem which is that I’m on medication for migraines that dries out my mouth and deadens my taste buds a bit and I can draw too hard looking for flavor if I’m not careful. Anyway, I think aros are more difficult to enjoy but I’m better at it than I was back in December. Still, I find myself smoking aros once in a while for the challenge of figuring out how to get the flavor (which really does involve smoking super slowly). Lately, I’m really gravitating towards English blends though I fear my wife is not going to take it lightly.

Bikes&Briar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
www.youtube.com
When guys talk about drying out tobacco, I don't think they're talking about "30 minutes". puffy
There’s not much info to go on with this comment. Opinions on the subject vary widely. I’ve heard as little as 5 minutes, to days.
What I’ve experienced is that if you put out a few pinches to dry out, it dries out quite quickly. With the same tobacco blend and the same pipe, I’ve tried drying it out, and I’ve tried taking it straight from the pouch and packed the pipe, and there’s a noticeable difference in flavor with just 30 minutes. Everyone’s palate is different. You have to experiment and do what works for you.

Bikes&Briar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
www.youtube.com
There’s not much info to go on with this comment. Opinions on the subject vary widely. I’ve heard as little as 5 minutes, to days.
What I’ve experienced is that if you put out a few pinches to dry out, it dries out quite quickly. With the same tobacco blend and the same pipe, I’ve tried drying it out, and I’ve tried taking it straight from the pouch and packed the pipe, and there’s a noticeable difference in flavor with just 30 minutes. Everyone’s palate is different. You have to experiment and do what works on
Excellent article. Thank you!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>
Huge variations. Five minutes outside in Vegas may turn tobacco to crumbly unsmokeable. A half hour outside in Alabama in the Summer may increase the moisture to such you can't light it.

Then there's the time of year, cut, original moisture level, how it's spread out and no doubt, more variables.

Reactions: milk