Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Excellent article, @python. If you will allow me to pretty much sum it up:
  • Use less tobacco than you think you should;
  • Pack your tobacco looser than you think you should;
  • Tamp less frequently than you think you should;
  • Use less pressure while tamping than you think you should;
And to add one of my own:
  • Dry your tobacco more than you think you should.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Excellent article, @python. If you will allow me to pretty much sum it up:
  • Use less tobacco than you think you should;
  • Pack your tobacco looser than you think you should;
  • Tamp less frequently than you think you should;
  • Use less pressure while tamping than you think you should;
And to add one of my own:
  • Dry your tobacco more than you think you should.
That’s what i was looking for i knew i saw it here somewhere. Thank you, incredibly helpful summary i wanted the send a friend.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I added these two for a friend that has smoked a pipe for years but needs to learn to smoke a pipe.
  • Slow down, you’re not a Choo-choo train, slow draws mean a cooler smoke, more flavor and less chance of tongue bite and gurgling
  • Relax and enjoy the experience, be contemplative.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Good starting place! But those tips don't talk about drying the tobacco.

If it's at the right moisture level, it's almost impossible to clog up the draw. And it lessens or eliminates the need for a charring light.
Just getting into this again after 30 years. Went to a local shop and picked up a house blend the guy suggested that would go good with my even Scotch nightcap. But he said you might want to let it dry for a bit before using it. So my question is. What method is there to determine the best moisture level? Does one try it between the fingers for a certain feel to it? Or some other approach? Appreciate your insights.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Just getting into this again after 30 years. Went to a local shop and picked up a house blend the guy suggested that would go good with my even Scotch nightcap. But he said you might want to let it dry for a bit before using it. So my question is. What method is there to determine the best moisture level? Does one try it between the fingers for a certain feel to it? Or some other approach? Appreciate your insights.
Here's what I do.

Spread the tobacco out in a single layer on a flat surface.

Check on it every 10-15 minutes by pinching between thumb and finger with medium pressure for a couple seconds, then drop it.

I want to see the tobacco fall in separate pieces. Not sticking together in clumps or to my fingers.

There's also an element of feel. If the tobacco is still cool at all to the touch, it's still too moist. I want it to be room temperature.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Here's what I do.

Check on it every 10-15 minutes by pinching between thumb and finger with medium pressure for a couple seconds, then drop it.

I want to see the tobacco fall in separate pieces. Not sticking together in clumps or to my fingers.

There's also an element of feel. If the tobacco is still cool at all to the touch, it's still too moist. I want it to be room temperature.
Thank you I will try that with the batch I recently bought this past weekend. Much appreciate it.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Here's what I do.

Thank you I will try that with the batch I recently bought this past weekend. Much appreciate it.
Not a problem. It was the best pipe smoking advice I've ever received and I'm happy to pass it on. Let us know how it works for you.
Will do thanks again.

Reactions: solideogloria86

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I thought I’d stick some questions here in the hope of avoiding starting a new thread. I’ll admit a few things I’m a bit ashamed to say. I smoked pipes for a few years before quitting. Recently I’ve started again. I’m smoking more aromatics now due to my having a family and the fact that I’m smoking inside. Anyway, I have to admit that I’ve suffered from tongue bite now and then and that I’ve struggled to moderate cadence. I’ve improved though and I have had success in eliminating the problem. One thing I’ve been doing is thoroughly drying out the tobacco (as is suggested here) before smoking. I’m talking an hour of drying time. However, I often find that I get no flavor sometimes out of these smokes. I wonder, can (over ) drying tobacco eliminate the flavor? I’m not drying it all day. I’m doing this with aros such as Solani Red and Blue Note. Strangely, I’ve noticed that my MacBaren Vanilla Loose Cut from the pouch almost always has good flavor without bite and without any drying. Am I simply drying the tin tobacco too much? I tend to put new tins in zip lock bags. Should I stop doing that as well, to let them dry out on their own? Thanks folks.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
With aromatics, yes. Try gravity filling a pipe with aromatic blends to allow more oxygen into the tobacco chamber to aid the ember without drying.
So would you say dry less or don’t dry at all? Do you zip your tins into bags or just leave them out? Thanks! MacBaren’s from the pouch doesn’t really bite but all my aros from tins see to but if I’m not very careful. Drying too much seems to make them flavorless. Thanks again.