Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
Just a reminder for any beginners, as I would say I am coming out of my beginner phase, or so I thought, remember that it never hurts to go back and look at some basic techniques and tricks. Sometimes it can be humbling! Good luck, and happy puffing ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All good advice, very helpful. I was lucky in having a dad who smoked all day, at work and play, so by the time I bought a pipe in my thirties, unknown to me, I had a lot of it down by imprinting, almost muscle memory. But there were still plenty of pointers I had to learn, like several of these.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just a reminder for any beginners, as I would say I am coming out of my beginner phase, or so I thought, remember that it never hurts to go back and look at some basic techniques and tricks. Sometimes it can be humbling! Good luck, and happy puffing ?
yeah pipe smoking is one of those things that can constantly be improved. There is always a little something that makes it just that much more enjoyable.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Could not agree more with your comment about not loading the bowl to the rim. Others?
Not sure if this is helpful or really all that unique, but I've found in my walks afield with the pup that if I've got a good pack/dried the tobacco well enough when it seems to be losing a little steam a little tamp with the pinky of my glove and a little puff and off we go again - used to puff too hard or think I needed to relight, this seems to work fine and keeps things nice and steady until there's pretty much nothing left. Again, maybe not a revelation to the experienced.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Not sure if this is helpful or really all that unique, but I've found in my walks afield with the pup that if I've got a good pack/dried the tobacco well enough when it seems to be losing a little steam a little tamp with the pinky of my glove and a little puff and off we go again - used to puff too hard or think I needed to relight, this seems to work fine and keeps things nice and steady until there's pretty much nothing left. Again, maybe not a revelation to the experienced.
What you wrote that speaks to me is "my walks afield". That matters more than pipe smoking advice. I figure we'll figure it out over time like pipe smokers did 150 years ago.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Here is an article that I wrote some time ago.

It contains some tips for beginners to help you on your way to a more enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Smoking Tips
Here is an article that I wrote some time ago.

It contains some tips for beginners to help you on your way to a more enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Smoking Tips
This was a great article. I came across it before joining and it helped a lot. Thanks for taking the time to write down those tips.