Pipe Smoking Study, It Doesn't Look Good.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiberiusjones

Lurker
May 4, 2016
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I came across this study done by the Journal of the National Cancer Institute in 2004, its a pretty big study, cohorts were 138,307 men over 26 years from US, Denmark, Scotland and there was a direct correlation between pipe smoking and esophageal, tracheal, colorectal and lung cancer. Really high with laryngeal even higher than cigarettes! That was a surprise. For those of you who are scientifically inclined as I am, here is the link to the report.

Association Between Exclusive Pipe Smoking and Mortality From Cancer and Other Diseases - https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/96/11/853/2520796

I doubt I will quit pipe smoking as it brings me so much pleasure and stress relief but it really brings me some doubts to my mind.Not trying to scare anybody into quitting nor am I shill for the overbearing and shrill anti tobacco lobby, just the opposite.

I just went through it (my forte') and my conclusion is as follows:

Always do what's good for you and live a long time.

Always do what you know is not good for you and die early.

Sometimes do what's good for you and sometimes do what you know is not and live a healthy life full of joy.

Moderate your joys.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs,” -

- Albert Einstein -

"Smoking is the leading cause of statistics"

– Fletcher Knebel -

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Grim. I wonder how number of bowls per day aline with risk. I like to think moderation holds sway, but I don't know that. Maybe susceptibility is more important, the individual vulnerability. So much of the research was done on cigarettes, and pipes were less studied by far. I didn't hear about this in 2004, and I was pipe smoking at that time, though moderately.

Reactions: yuda

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
The thing about these studies, and studies of it's kind is that I can turn around and find another 6 that refute these findings and shows that people in the mild to moderate pipe smoking shows no evidence of a more elevated risk that the general population (of non smokers) and then turn around and find a meta-analysis of a large sample of studies that shows its inconclusive at best.

Also, its extremely difficult to control for other factors that increase risk or even know what they are in a study like this. Personally I think the number of health related incidents from pipe smoking have a large amount of external factors such as diet, alcohol use and environmental exposures that contribute more than studies like this factor in.

Much like the recent vape scare that 3 weeks into it turns out it was mostly falsehoods and fear mongering, one can find a study that supports any possible position. It's up to you and me, and the general population as a whole to become more educated and understand how the system works. And then throw all that out the window and do the things in life that you enjoy, and let others make that choice for themselves

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It pretty well boils down to what your genes can tolerate. If your "system" can manage all of the negatives, you are in good shape. If your "system" is strained and you introduce any amount of smoking, a substantial illness, a death in the family, or anything which causes the system to be "out gunned", you will suffer some sort of consequence. It's what your body will tolerate and studies only allow you to measure against ... well, the studies. When you have taxed your immune system to the limit ... it'll let you know.

So, pay your nickel and take your chance. I did 72 years of "living large" before my body reacted to all of the abuse. Now, I pay the penalty without complaint. I wouldn't change a thing. But, do not think you are immune to the ravages of time or self-abuse. The young can convince themselves they are indestructible but, we older folk know better.

Weight the risks. Do not dismiss them without consideration. Then decide whether the reward is worth the risk.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m nearing 50, so I’m probably not the oldest member here.

Anyway, remember when it came out that eggs were bad? Now eggs are good. Butter was bad - eat margarine. No wait, butted is best. And so on. Y’all know where I’m going with this.

I don’t give hoot nor holler ‘bout Medical studies that were likely funded by anti-Tobacco money. I’ll take a trickle of nicotine, enjoy the flavors, and take satisfaction that I’m less likely to get dementia or Parkinsons.

“Five to one, baby, one in five. No one here gets out alive.” - Jim Morrison

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Who gave the grant for the study? That's more telling than their stratistical legerdemains.
Not always our even very much... Historically. Sure, if Shell oil is paying for research that has a possible outcome that will furthers its agenda, then yes. Or anti-vaccines, Or big sugar, or insurance, or medicine, etc. But most grants have historically come from sources without a horse in the race. Sadly, there is little money available these days for pure research.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It is interesting that they do not provide the funding source. Also, if this is a modern study, as in all of the data is from the last 1 or 2 decades, then they have no way of controlling synergies between environmental exposure to everyday toxic chemicals such as plasticizers, BPA, etc and pipe smoking... Too many confounding factors could be at work.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Now, I pay the penalty without complaint. I wouldn't change a thing. But, do not think you are immune to the ravages of time or self-abuse. The young can convince themselves they are indestructible but, we older folk know better.
How well I know! Very well spoken warren. Tis the truth...
295UyNT.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I will not read the research, maybe that means I have my head in the sand (I am ok with that, so long as I can come up for puffs).
I already know through common sense and historical evidence that smoke inhalation is bad for your innards, and that nicotine holds very addictive properties. I use tobacco the same way I treat alcohol, bacon and ice cream...with moderation! (I do allow myself one proper hangover annually).

Reading and analysing statistics will encourage unnecessary stress for me. I read 'Life Is So Good' by George Dawson, the 101 year old man who learnt to read at 99, then co wrote his biography. In the book George talks about how in interviews people always want to know what his secret to longevity is, his diets and lifestyle choices. He made a point of saying he just ate what he wanted, when he wanted and he believed that his lack of knowledge and stress around the whole issue was actually what kept him healthy after all. "you folks are always stressing about what to eat or not eat, and that stress is killing you" (my hazy memory quote). George was not a smoker but I see the same kind of logic appears to be applied by that old fellow Richard Overton that liked his 12 cigars every day and lived to 112. National geographic have a little clip, but it is a little dated, he was only 109 at the time. Richard Overton Short Doc

Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.