12 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched (or read) more than a couple of conversations (threads) that got to arguing the point of "what's normal?" and the above quote seems to be where most of these end up.

What's normal in one region is usually considered the blackest heresy in the next one over. Or maybe in the next one over from there. What's normal in one generation is often considered insanity by their elders. What's normal in one income bracket is incomprehensible to those in much higher brackets.

and etcetera, etcetera, etcetera . . .
Yep, my experiences with talking to people on the streets of Chicago and New York is that they don't really like polite conversation in passing. Tell a Chicagoan about what great whether we are having, and they gather up their kids closely and walk fast away from you.
Down South, if you pass by me without remarking on how beautiful the weather is, and I wonder what sort of mental illness you may have. "Does he not like the sun, WTF!!" puffy

Oh, and up North, people honk their horns for everything. Down here, if you honk your horn, people all start rolling out of their cars with weapons drawn like it was the signal to start firing. I cannot stress this enough, don't honk your horn down South. It is a symbol that you hate life and probably want to kill someone. I accidentally hit my horn once in a parking lot, and it took a SWAT team to get me back out onto the main road without injury.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Most of my life, I’ve been someone the middle. Neither exceptional or poor performance.

Covid has taught me much. Exceptional people had died as well as not exceptional, in the worlds eye.

There are those who tested positive and died and others who lived with little harm....exceptional and non-exceptional.

Its taught me there is much to be desired for being normal or ordinary.

What’s truly important for me is family.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Oh, and up North, people honk their horns for everything. Down here, if you honk your horn, people all start rolling out of their cars with weapons drawn like it was the signal to start firing. I cannot stress this enough, don't honk your horn down South. It is a symbol that you hate life and probably want to kill someone. I accidentally hit my horn once in a parking lot once, and it took a SWAT team to get me back out onto the main road without injury.
What you said is so true..

On a daily basis I ask myself, will this action move me closer or farther away from what’s important .

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
What you said is so true..

On a daily basis I ask myself, will this action move me closer or farther away from what’s important .
I remember driving through Tucson, and people were honking for turns, changing lanes, just to break the silence... at first I was thinking everyone was so violent there for always honking, but then I realized that it was just their way of saying what great weather we're having. puffy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Probably not a good idea to comment on the size of a man’s pipe when you see then in the wild. Like, “my, what a big pipe you’ve got.” That could cause problems
Somehow I can't get the image of @embers going for a hike in the woods with his skull meer hanging from his lips out of my mind when I read that :ROFLMAO:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yep, my experiences with talking to people on the streets of Chicago and New York is that they don't really like polite conversation in passing. Tell a Chicagoan about what great whether we are having, and they gather up their kids closely and walk fast away from you.
Down South, if you pass by me without remarking on how beautiful the weather is, and I wonder what sort of mental illness you may have. "Does he not like the sun, WTF!!" puffy
Most conversations started with four letter words and ended with kick in the face. Never said "Thank you", "Please" or "Excuse me." When I first came to NC, it was a culture shock. Funny thing is I heard same thing about Paris, France. They were very friendly. They just didn't know how to make a drinkable beer.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Alright, so if you see someone reading a newspaper, do you just walk up and interrupt him and start asking him questions? Or, if you see someone reading a book?
Smoking a pipe is the same way. You force the person to remove their pipe and engage you. It's sort of rude. If I want to talk, I'll remove my pipe and introduce myself. If I just want to smoke and enjoy my smoke, I'll avoid eye contact.
So like this thread is just saying that you don’t want to be bothered? Just stay home?

Reactions: rushx9

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
About two weeks ago on a quick walk with a dog (in the middle of a work day) I saw another man smoking pipe in my hood. Unlike most walks, this time I did not smoke my pipe ( had to get back to my spreadsheets quickly after doggy business was done). I also did not really feel like stepping out of my way to bother another fellow pipe smoker, and was in a little bit of a hurry, so I only stared at him from a distance for half a minute or so, and continued on my way. However, that feeling of “I am not alone here” completely filled me inside. Finally, I saw someone who appreciated this diappearing practice. After all, meeting another pipe smoker in the city (Greater Toronto Area) is an extremely rare event in my experience (never happened to me ever before). I knew, though, that eventually, if he was local, I would run into him again, at some point in time. That happened about a week later (last week), on one of the evenings as I was taking Alfa (our Belgian malinois) for her night walk, I saw that same guy giving a charing light to his pipe across the street. The streets were empty, but he was right on my usual path; we walk there with the dog almost every night. So I crossed and greeted him by raising my pipe and saying “Its so rare to see another pipe smoker!” He mumbled something undistinguishable and not in a friendly tone as he was trying to lite the pipe. Immediately it became clear to me that he was not as excited about seeing
another pipe smoker as I was. I wished him happy lunting and off we went.

Oh, well! Now, that I read the common attitudes and suggested etiquette
rules, I think I understand why he seemed to be so grumpy in his response.
But, frankly, whatever! I just was excited about such a rare encounter and wanted to be friendly...

I often smoke pipe when I walk my dog, and walking a dog makes interaction with by passers or other dog owners inevitable since many people own dogs in our neighbourhood. Hence, being not social (or anti-social) while I smoke my pipe on a dog-walk is typically not an option, unless its a late hour and the streets are empty. I would prefer to not talk to others while I smoke, but people wanting to pet the dog or interactions with other dogs, make it impossible. Together, though, a pipe in the teeth and earbuds in the ears often help but even this combo does not always deter others from starting a conversation with me. Oh well, being an asshole and just ignoring people is not a choice I want to make. So, this whole etiquette thing is subject to the social context, big time. As it has already been suggested here, I neither expect others to know my personal preferences for interaction , nor I expect them to know the etiquette of the pipe smoking “brotherhood”, especially if all they know about it is that their grandpa used to do that.
Sometimes its nice to have rules but sometimes it is just as nice to say, f*** the rules, I do what works!

Status
Not open for further replies.