PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
I don't really bind my ego to these sorts of labels and things (or at least I try not to). Someone might call me a radish, but that doesn't say much about me as it speaks volumes about the other. I often cringe at how quickly people are to categorize, group, and label themselves and others now a days--and often without full grasp of context or probing effort at understanding the other. I mean, I like a pipe, but not because of the object or the material smoke, but because of the pleasure and effects of the smoke. It's a drug, a very mild and pleasing one, but a drug at that. The associated materials are really accessories in the most superficial sense of the word, like high-heels or a red sports car. They ain't screaming profundity.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
:mad:
I take issue with that. Bears are my kind even though I identify as a smoking human.
I also identify as a bigot. Anyone who questions my bigotry must hereon identify as a pansy.
The only thing worse than an Orange Canadian Bear is a bigoted Orange Canadian Bear smoker who thinks he's human (oops, did I just assume your gender?).

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I never talk about pipe smoking with anyone. If you know me long enough, you'll pick up on it somehow, but it isn't something I like to talk about with people. Same with my diet. Same with my greatest hobby: music. I'll come to groups like this to talk about it for various reasons, but I don't consider these things to be my identity. They're things I do and love, but you gotta do something. Honestly, I don't even like to talk about hobbies with people in person. If they get mentioned in passing here or there, that's fine. If my comrades and I hit on something for a moment or two, that's fine too, but I find such discussions to be boring and not our best use of time. I'd rather talk about just about anything else. I'm curious about nearly everything. Let's talk about everything else that I don't already spend too much time thinking about.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
So in your mind you are somehow better than someone that doesn't smoke as much as you, got it.

I smoke up to 7 cigars a day, so clearly compared to me you are not a cigar smoker.
It doesn’t have anything to do with better. This was a musing on a conversation I had with my brothers. My elder brother was shopping life insurance. He doesn’t smoke a pipe ever, but will occasionally bum cigs when he drinks. My younger bro is the one in the original post. There is a question on the application about being a smoker. I’d say he’s not a cig smoker, just a guy who will smoke a cig. My sister smokes a pack a day, she definitely is. Which led around to the pipe as you please idea. Which led around in circles through drinking and weed smoking comparisons. I figured it was an interesting point of discussion and wanted to see what others thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.