PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I had recently heard an expression “pipe as you please”. I would generally agree as long as you’re smoking the thing with tobacco. Part of this idea is that pipe smokers are rather varied in how they go about it. Also that you are a pipe smoker if you smoke a pipe daily or somewhat randomly. I disagree.

My opinion is that a smoker in any form does it frequently enough that it is a part of your identity to others. I know people who will smoke a pipe or cigar or a cigarette randomly. I don’t think they are smokers, except while doing it. Myself for example smoke an average of two cigars and maybe seven pipes a day. I would say that makes me both a pipe and cigar smoker. My brother has a pipe, he probably smokes a pipe every few weeks, and doesn’t keep tobacco stocked. He will smoke a cigar if I give him one. I would say he is a guy who will smoke a pipe or cigar.

I’m open to ideas about why this might be wrong headed on my part.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So in your mind you are somehow better than someone that doesn't smoke as much as you, got it.

I smoke up to 7 cigars a day, so clearly compared to me you are not a cigar smoker.
So how do u have time for a pipe then???
I like smoking cigars, but I don't call myself a "cigar smoker". But if it gets brought up, they are usually combined with the term pipe smoker. Lol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesus, isn't language complicated enough with all this gender bender axle people are wrapping themselves around without parsing whether it's correct to refer to a tobacco addict as a pipe smoker or a person who smokes a pipe. Seriously, what is the benefit to all humankind by pushing this particular distinction?
And by the way, @JimInks smokes 16 to 20 pipes a day, which makes you a virgin.puffy

dobbs

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
Jesus, isn't language complicated enough with all this gender bender axle people are wrapping themselves around without parsing whether it's correct to refer to a tobacco addict as a pipe smoker or a person who smokes a pipe. Seriously, what is the benefit to all humankind by pushing this particular distinction?
And by the way, @JimInks smokes 16 to 20 pipes a day, which makes you a virgin.puffy
agreed, it seems like a ridiculous thing to care about

-dobbs

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never thought that the Forums members who stop smoking pipes for health reasons should necessarily cease joining in the conversation here. They have experience and knowledge to share, and it's good to hear from them if they are inclined. I have smoked daily, but I don't now, for various reasons. I have 90-plus pipes and a variety of tobaccos, and I don't feel shy about participating.

Because I don't carry a pipe around with me, it isn't part of my social identity. Some groups i belong to would think I shouldn't smoke at all, and others seem kind of delighted if I tell them I smoke a pipe. One said, "Of course!"

Many of my pipes have stories behind them. Two were won in contests. One is a spontaneous gift of a member and is one of the most valuable pipes I own. A number are gifts from family and friends, and so on.

So I'm not a proponent of having criteria about who's a person who smokes a pipe and who is a pipe smoker. If you need detail, each person can supply that. The rest of it is stereotyping and doesn't seem intelligent to me. We have a complex shared language and can share our complicated life circumstances of if need be. Labels don't help and can mislead.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So how do u have time for a pipe then???
I like smoking cigars, but I don't call myself a "cigar smoker". But if it gets brought up, they are usually combined with the term pipe smoker. Lol
Insomniac, gives me something to do, i've actually cut down to 3 to 4, before getting back into piping it was 7 or so, had one going constantly, the hazard of working from home and in florida where it's almost always nice enough to smoke outside.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
...I know people who will smoke a pipe or cigar or a cigarette randomly. I don’t think they are smokers...

I've recently learned the term "gatekeeping" but had not yet seen an example to illustrate its meaning.

So thank you!

But I'm "all in" if this label is something that makes you feel different, or special, or accomplished in some way. You didn't really claim to be "better. As such, I personally see neither harm nor value in this.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah but without that we're pretty much just monkeys that aren't really good at anything, so don't knock it to much.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I had recently heard an expression “pipe as you please”. I would generally agree as long as you’re smoking the thing with tobacco. Part of this idea is that pipe smokers are rather varied in how they go about it. Also that you are a pipe smoker if you smoke a pipe daily or somewhat randomly. I disagree.

My opinion is that a smoker in any form does it frequently enough that it is a part of your identity to others. I know people who will smoke a pipe or cigar or a cigarette randomly. I don’t think they are smokers, except while doing it. Myself for example smoke an average of two cigars and maybe seven pipes a day. I would say that makes me both a pipe and cigar smoker. My brother has a pipe, he probably smokes a pipe every few weeks, and doesn’t keep tobacco stocked. He will smoke a cigar if I give him one. I would say he is a guy who will smoke a pipe or cigar.

I feel like it's not wrong headed as much as just an observation about how the language is organically used. Few people are going to call you a pipe smoker because you break on out every once in a while. But when they see you for the five or fourth time they'll call you a pipe smoker. And it's also functional to know the difference. For example the guy that has one pipe and a pouch of Captain Black that has sat in a sock draw long enough to make one praise the magic of P.G. is not the guy to ask too many questions. Not just about pipes. That guy only knows his one thing well and yes it's rockets and the branch of science related to making rockets go....

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Since I found this forum a decade ago, I have just not found the time to do any actual smoking. One hobby at a time, you know?
You have to make the time. Sleeping pills in the stew you make for the family can open up a couple of hours in the evening. And bonus if the country you live in lets prisoners smoke a pipe then you might get even luckier and have a lot of free time to smoke.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's reasonable determination. Then there are the smokers who would rather be referred to "hobbyists." I just don't see the need for distinuishing between "smokers" and ... well, er ... "smokers." But, classifying people is a normal activity. So, go with it if doing so satisfys some need.

Status
Not open for further replies.