PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

azekologi

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
Also...my Old Boy has the built-in poker/tamper.
Do all the Old Boy's have a built in poker/tamper? My first look was at LightersX.com website (linked from the first or second page of this thread) and their description makes no mention of it.
If they all came with a tamper at least, I'd be delighted!

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm with Bob and rusco; I love my pipe zippo! Lifetime warranty, always lights, easy to maintain. And pretty darned cheap, too.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I am looking at purchasing a Zippo Pipe Lighter. I found one here for $13.56 shipped. I was wondering though how much better the pipe lighter is than the regular? I have a regular zippo but was wondering about bowl charring issues. Would you guys buy the pipe lighter or stay with the regular? Also, I am a poor college kid so $14 is a larger amount to me than most. I don't have an income right now :/.

bostonbill

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
Bahston
I can't thank all of you enough for this thread! I've been having nothing but trouble with the lighters I do have. I've had issues with the fuel from Zippos (or other lighter-fluid based lighters) getting into my tobacco, so I think they're not an option for me.
On the other hand, cheap "regular" lighters do cause problems with charring my briar, and the pipes cost more than the flame is worth.
A year or so ago, I bought a "goose-neck" lighter (from JR cigars or Thompson?). It was probably meant as some kind of candle lighter, but it works really well for me as a pipe lighter. Its pretty poorly made, I have trouble getting it to refill for more than a few lights, but it works really well for lighting a pipe when it has fuel inside. Its is no longer available (can't find it anywhere) so far as I know, but I'd suggest looking for other goose-neck style lighters. I've found a website that sells tons of different lighters, but I hesitate to post them here, as I've never used them, and can't vouch for them.
I also can't seem to find a cheap "side-kick" lighter anywhere (locally), but I'm not done looking yet.
Thanks all for your wisdom!

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I cast my lot with the Bic users. The flame is just right. It's cheap. It allows me to rotate through a rainbow of pleasant colors and, best of all, I could care less if the thing gets itself lost. Perfect.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
My Evertech is still working beautifully, easy to refill, comfortable in the hand. I am going to try one of the Lotus 1100 series though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0ugsKP2Yk

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I just bit the bullet and bought an Old Boy at my B&M store hope it lasts. I also had PAD and got another Peterson System pipe the #31.

charlie

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2011
Louisiana, USA
I personally use a Vector butane lighter. $20 at my local B&M, 90 degree, adjustable flame, works over and over even after I've dropped it.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
I have the original "Old Boy" lighter but was afraid I would lose it and it is heavy in your pocket, I use a "Genie" butane lighter with the built in tamper ( about $12.00 ) for my every day use and it has held up pretty well. I have always used the better grade of butane and thus far had no problems with my lighters plugging up

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
I have several Zippos. However for normal carry around I use BIC. They are simple and easier than matches on most days. If I loose them who cares. I keep my Zippos for Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.