PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
4 months ago I said:
I just received a small order from Pipes&cigars.com, which included the Lotus 11 lighter recommended by skymuscle83. It seems to be every bit as good as claimed. In some future post I'll let you know how well it's holding up. Thanks for the heads-up skymuscle83.

Well, the lighter worked just fine, altho it needed pretty frequent recharges. But,

this morning it accidentally dropped from table-top height onto a concrete floor and

it flew into a gazillion pieces. (Well, maybe not exactly a gazillion.) It was a total

Humpty-Dumpty disaster -- just broke apart completely. Not being totally inept

mechanically, I cobbled it back together, but just couldn't get the piezo-electric

clicker to spark.
So, that's how it went. I guess I should have gone with the Old Boy.

(Darn. I never follow my instincts.)

bullwinkle

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
keep Bic's in all the auto's as backup in case I forget my Zippo. I have used a Xikar Trezo since they came out for cigars and it has worked A-OK. So, I bought the Xikar Pipeline which I think came out about the time I started smoking a pipe and I have had no problems with it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think you got it right, Haunted. I always use matches at home, but I just gotta have a lighter for the car.

I'll limp along with Bics for now, but I'm saving for the Old Boy.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I stand by my plastic refillable Ronsons. They seem to last forever, until one of my sons walks away with one. Which tics me off. I would buy them Bics, if they would leave my lighters be.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think I have said this before; but for me, I have two preferences.

The first: While in my easy chair or on my deck for relaxation, I prefer wooden matches.

Second: For nearly any other circumstance I will use the cheapest WallyWorld brand of disposable butanes. I reset the height control before using them to light my pipe. (But, I do not recommend adjusting the flame in this manner.) I have been doing it for years.
The temperature difference between matches and butane (as mentioned before) makes for a faster light (butane), as opposed to matches. But, the enjoyment factor goes way up with matches because the flavor comes through better during the char, for me, than it does with butane. Not only that, as you guys know, I'm all about slowing down when indulging in a quality smoke. Matches do it for me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mick,

Are these the Ronsons that you're so pleased with?

Amazon has them @ 24 for $24.89
Ronsons.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
bought an Evertech lighter on Ebay last week. It works flawlessly every time, perfect flame right out of the nice box it came in. About 20.00 with free shipping.

Has a nice tamper built into the bottom as well
Evertechlighter.jpg

warriorpoet

Lurker
May 28, 2010
Savannah/Milledgeville, GA
Let me first say that I'm a huge fan of this site's community and the wealth of knowledge all you salts are providing. I've been smoking pipes for two years now, and I'm still soaking up any scrap of information I can get my hands on like a fervent sponge.

As to the topic at hand; I use almost exclusively matches. When I sit down to my pipe after a taxing day it's not necessarily the draw and exhale that I'm looking for, it's the whole experience. This is to say that I don't just want to get my pipe lit; I want to light my pipe. I revel in carefully packing the bowl, making sure it's properly aerated, and finally striking a match, of which I of course have my favorite types, to bring my evening pastime to life. When you get that perfect flame distribution in one match, the smoke and aroma billowing from the furnace, there is a definite sense of accomplishment and, yes, peace.

Of course I own a lighter for emergencies and cigars (a classic Zippo), but I just can't put the quick, harsh flick of a lighter, even a soft flame, on anywhere near the same level of class as a simple wooden match. For me, there is a sever difference in the experience.

Thank you for providing, and investing your time into, this wonderful medium.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Keep your eyes open for a colibri firebird lighter soft blue flame, good looking and inexpensive. I bought two of them at a bargain outlet for $5.00 each. That was a special "everything goes" price. If you can find one cheap I highly recomend it.Works like a charm.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
They make a soft flame and a torch type so if you get one make sure it's the soft flame

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I recently got a lighter. It is a relatively cheap Chinese one at the bottom of this page. Over a couple of weeks, I've grown to appreciate the difference between a wooden match and the lighter. They both serve their purposes but convenience aside, I prefer the match.
Simon

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
When I'm around home the wooden match is my preference. When I'm out, the Old

Boy has served me for years.

changojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2010
wood match or my zippo pipe lighter !!! some times the less expensive things work better

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
More kudos for my Evertech lighter....It got ran through the washing machine. It was about out of butane, so I refilled it and it fired right up. excellent Chinese craftsmanship :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the heads-up josephpaul. I'm still in the market and I might take a chance on one of those three. The price is certainly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.