PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just received a small order from Pipes&cigars.com, which included the Lotus 11 lighter recommended by skymuscle83. It seems to be every bit as good as claimed. In some future post I'll let you know how well it's holding up. Thanks for the heads-up skymuscle83.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
My practical choice for outdoors (where I smoke) is a folding BIC butane grill/fireplace/candle lighter. They're about $4 at Safeway, and ratchet into three positions, including one that points close enough to straight down to make initial lights and relights a breeze. Actually, in a breeze, too. The product liability lawyers have a disclaimer on the package, discouraging their use for pipes, cigars, and ciggies, but I have had no problems. I like that it folds like a jack knife for transport in a jacket pocket or rear jeans pocket. Cheap and practical.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
The Old Boy is the Cadillac of pipe lighters but for use outside, the Zippo with the pipe insert cannot be beat. As suggested above, a little Vasoline around the top of the insert will slow the evaporation of their new fluid. As for them leaking, just be careful not to overfill them. When you do refill the lighter, keep it inverted until you slide the outer case on.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I purchased an Old Boy about a year ago and have to say it is a very good lighter. It has survived a few drops that I expected would have damaged it (granted...it is a bit marred now). The only draw back to the Old Boy that I have found is that it is difficult to relight the last remnants of a medium sized bowl. One thing about the Old Boy that has amazed me is the amount of time between re-filling the butane. It seems to last forever.
I also purchased the Lotus 11 (after reading the recommendation here). It too is a very good lighter. The ability to easily (meaning "really" easily) adjust the flame height is a great feature. Being able to stuff the "nose" of the lighter into the pipe is nice too...minimizes the risk of charring the rim of the bowl and easily relights the last remnants in the bowl. While the butane doesn't seem to last as long as the Old Boy, it still seems to last longer than most other re-fillable butane lighters.

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
I have more cigar lighters than I know what to do with. The cheap ones always seemed to last longer than any expensive brand I’ve ever bought. Based on that, I wasn’t willing to go overboard on a pipe lighter figuring I would have the same reoccurring issues. At the time I really needed a (new) pipe lighter so I went with the Zippo purely based on price. Haven’t even considered another lighter after buying it. Works great anytime, anywhere.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I used to have a zippo pipe lighter, years ago.

I bore no resemblance to a flip top zippo.

It was cylindrical and had a cubical area in the center with the striking wheel near the cubical area. You had to pull the two ends in opposite directions, and with practice you could strike the flame in one motion. When open it had a round hole through the middle of the cube. But, it always tasted like lighter fluid.

It's one of things that kind of just vanished over time. I haven't seen it in years.

lozark

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Just joined and I am new to the posting, but been reading all the posts for several months. New pipe smoker for about six months. Smoked pipes for about 10 years in my twenties, then quit. Was school teacher and found it difficult to give time to pipe that it really deserves. Finally decided to pick it back up when I retired last year. Really enjoy my pipes and now regret all the years I left the hobby. Anyway, enough of that. I have been using just good old kitchen matches all these months, and finally decided to purchase a Zippo past weekend. WOW Zippo IS the way to go. Got one with pipe insert, can of the new fluid, flints, and belt holder for $22.00, all new from local shop, I love the lighting with the Zippo and have had no problem (six days :)with lighting or smell. Just a newbies point of view. Love this site

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have a couple Zippo pipe lighters and they work well enough, although you have to refuel them quite often. For my pipes, I prefer Imco. Decent enough lighter. They last 2 or 3 years, and hold a charge of butane quite a long time.

I prefer the ones with the tamper built in.

I have a few Colibri lighters. I wouldn't buy another one. They are just not dependable.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I'm a bic guy.
I've lost more lighters than I can count.
And much to my wife's chagrin I am lighter thief beyond reform. If I have a lighter in my hand it just automatically goes in my pocket. Then of course I lose it or wash it in the laundry or whatever.
I take the same approach with lighters I do to sunglasses. Buy em cheap and buy em often. (I dont' steal sunglasses though)

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I don't know if the CVS pharmacies in your area carries refillable Ronson plastic lighters, but they come in a 3 pack, cheap, and they seem to last forever.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I just ordered the evertech refillable butane pipe lighter with built in tamper. It was only $11.99 with free shipping. So what the hell. It looks awful similar to the Jarbo.
video

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Iam currently enrolled in a twelve step program called Lighters Anonymous . Dont call me a thief I suffer from pickumplightisnobelngtomeis . One in ten smokers have this ailment or meswtchemoldfornewbicmus. Owners of Zippo lighters suffer from metochptobuyflintus which causes them to mutilate used disposable lighters .But the real travisty is of butane lighter owners is meovrfl@blowupsealimuses But you can help,for the price of cup of coffee a day . You can sponser a fullgrown man suffering from one or more of these problems . In return you will be sent a picture and hand written letters you can read and be proud of . Remember only you can help . send cash , check or money order to the Igloo Needs Money For Lighter Foundation today.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
What do I have to do get Sally Struthers to cry . send cash now , or I swear I will cut my finger off trying to get free flint and post a video . Send money now have you no shame . For the love of God . Iggy

Status
Not open for further replies.