PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephpaul

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
cortezattic - I've narrowed it down to those 3 or the Zippo. I'm leaning toward the Beattie Jet because it has character and it's unusual, but the Old Boy design is really classy, even if it is a knockoff. My priority is buying tobacco, but I'll be sure to write a review after I get around to picking one up. Until then, I'll just make due with my mini-bic.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hey, josephpaul, I just pulled the trigger on the Nibo. That link you posted seems like a decent place to shop. Thanks for being so helpful.

thumbnail.asp

josephpaul

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
Sure thing - let us know how you like it. I'm especially interested in how well it holds up over time, but it does have a lifetime warranty.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/pipe-lighters.html

Check this out.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
After reading this thread and learning about the reputation of Corona lighters, I just ordered this swanky looking piece.
lighters_productimage_22_1797.jpg

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
First attempt at posting this pic didn't work, so I'll try again.
I've got on of these swanky pieces on the way:
im-corona-pipe-magie-lighter-shield.jpg

josephpaul

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
That is pretty swanky, menckenite - if the Old Boy is the Cadillac of pipe lighters, that must be the Corvette.

puffingstuff

Lurker
Jul 6, 2010
mine is the corona old boy. I've had many types of "pipe" lighters but this one just works best,and is a very simple design. A few words to the lighter users. USE a triple distlled butane,or risk fouling the jet on the lighter. : )

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
puffingstuff,

What brand(s) of butane are triple distilled? I've been using Zippo gas, but I don't recall reading anything like that on the label.

I'll have to check it out.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Hey folks, I’ve been out since last Friday and have some catching up to do. Anyway, here’s an update on the lighter I purchased.
I received it this past Saturday. It came in a nice navy leather-like box with a small pull tab that opened the top. The lighter was resting inside a cloth cover. After sliding it out, I felt a satisfied heft as I studied its workmanship and beauty. Even though the picture posted above seems to indicate a weave type pattern, this is not the case. The groves are all horizontal. I wasn’t disappointed but just surprised.
In four days, I’ve smoked 12 bowels with quite a few relights on all and I’ve filled it twice (once after opening it and once more). This seems reasonable because it is a small lighter. I can easily flip the top and flick my thumb across the grooved wheel and a nice soft flame comes out at a 90 degree angle. The flame can easily be adjusted from the bottom to suit one’s preference.
I paid $75.04 with no shipping and would not hesitate to order the same lighter again should the need and funds arise.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just received my Nibo lighter, the Old Boy knock-off pictured above. It's not the most convenient lighter I've ever used -- at least not for

a right-handed person. After flipping the lid, one has to spin it around so the thumb can reach the flint wheel, and then spin it back to direct the flame. Maybe with time the necessary motions will become second nature; but for now it seems a little awkward. I think the design would be much better if it was built as a complete mirror image of itself. As it is, a left-handed person should find it quite convenient to use. The quality seems to be there and the $18 price is a no-brainer. Let's hope it lasts a while.

May 19, 2010
I have always used a Corona Old Boy. I was talked into it when I got my first pipe and have been grateful ever since. It has lasted over 5 years now and has taken one hell of a beating but still works flawlessly. When at home I tend to use matches or Bee Line but the Old Boy comes out any time I cant get the other two to light or stay lit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Penguin, how do you like the Bee Line? That product came up for discussion about 8 months ago. It was the first time I had heard of it, and I thought it was very interesting -- if a little inconvenient. Apparently you don't find it to be a big PITA. Do you keep a candle burning while smoking?

azekologi

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
Many of you fine gents speak volumes of the IM Corona Old Boy. My only question; why doesn't any one mention the IM Corona Pipe Master or the IM Corona Pipe Magie?
Sure, they're more expensive, but not even a single comment? If I'm going to throw down $80-$90 on an Old Boy, spending another $20 or so for the Pipe Master which has a poker/tamper doesn't seem like that much to swallow.
I'd sure love to hear your opinions before I take the plunge. Thanks in advance!

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I ended up choosing an Old Boy because I loved the classic look. The Pipe Master and Pipe Magie just aren't visually appealing to me.
Also...my Old Boy has the built-in poker/tamper.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I have used a number of lighters to light my pipes, but my two-penneth worth is this.
Normal Zippo's are OK but the Pipe Zippo's are better.

Matches are good, so long as you are indoors (or there is no wind around whatsoever). I have found that using matches outdoors, leads me into lighting my pipe before the match has burned off all that sulpher to ensure I get it lit. Sulpher, on your first draw is the absolute pits!
I then tried the double turbo-flame lighters (butane). Absolutely brilliant, these things you could use to weld with. They light your pipe in all kinds of wind, no problems. There are 2 downsides with a double as I see it. 1. you have to be very very precise with them, otherwise you seriously damage the bowl. 2. They use up butane like you would not believe.
My personal preference is a single, angled turbo-flame. You still have to be careful, but you have a little more leeway. They still use up a lot of butane, but not as much as the double.

rusco135

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
I must agree with with Bob. The Zippo pipe lighter is a winner!! Inexpensive to buy and economical to maintain!! And lights in a blizzard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.