PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Yes sir. The Bacardi comes after I ream and sand the chamber. Sorry that I left that out. Also, I thoroughly clean and back-flush the airway of the shank with Bacardi before performing the actual treatment. I back-flush the airway by using a turkey baster to introduce the Bacardi into the chamber. Don’t allow the Bacardi 151 to come in contact with the outside of your pipe as in some cases, it may damage the finish. Happy piping.
Was done Sir :)
Now drying. Tomorrow back to smoke !!
2 Pipes with warm tap water and 2 more with Calvados
Thanks to all who helped me with their recommendations

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
do you smoke jellyfish?

• Wow
Reactions: Casual

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm in the habit of keeping my all my stuff very clean at all times after use but I've sort of been afraid to do anything to my pipes besides using pipe cleaners despite smoking on and off for years, the last 2 years regularly. Sometimes fora and other users used to get me paranoid (you should try browsing the cast iron forum on reddit, I swear a lot of these people mustn't actually use their pots and pans for cooking, just for showing off on reddit...) and it takes a while until my life experience and sense kick in to do what my gut tells me is right.

Over Christmas I decided to do a deep clean, remove cakes etc. What amazed me after the salt and alcohol treatment was the amount of acrid oily gunk that kept coming off wipe after wipe after wipe. I don't want that in my pipes.

Nowadays I do the hot water flush + bristle bottle cleaner for the chamber weekly and flavor has remained top notch, in fact I am looking forward to the weekly flush because of how good they taste after it. My pipes were never stinky, but this weekly cleaning took them from smelling ashy to smelling like a fresh tin of tobacco with just a hint of ash.

I think I'll still do a salt and alcohol once in a great while, let's say once a year, but the water flush is here to stay.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
We have a member here who did an experiment, leaving a pipe soaking in water for days, if I remember correctly. He then let it dry out for several days, at the end of which he inserted the stem, which fitted perfectly.

I rinse the pipe, stem removed, for about 30 seconds to a minute, with the water trickling in at a rate that brings it to the rim without it overflowing. Then I wipe out the chamber with a wad of paper toweling and use a few tapered bristles and fluffies to clean out and sop up the airway.

The amount of time I wait to reassemble the pipe varies with the pipe because the effect on the briar varies with the pipe. Most of them are good to go within 15 to 30 minutes, but a few require a good hour or more, and a fw that can take several hours before the briar returns to its proper dimensions. I've yet to have a pipe that would not go back together.

I don't run hot water though a Vulcanite stem as that can make it go gray, and with some old stems, seems to bring the sulfur to the surface. Vulcanite stems get alcohol. Acrylic stems get warm water as alcohol is destructive to acrylic.
Hey Sablebrush, you should write a book haha. I'd buy one.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
AND IF REAMER IS AN COMPLEMENTARY OPTION ? what is your opinion
or
Dexter S17 clam knife

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Nope. Not gonna do it. Some 90% alcohol on tapered bristle cleaners if a deep clean is needed, but no water.

I did once boil a briar pipe bowl after the salt / alcohol / oven treatment refused to remove some pernicious ghosts (which worked, smokes fine with no finish) but it was a brebbia roccaita lido, but no water flushing for my pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just finished warm water cleaning a number of pipes. I wanted to return them to a fresh and fairly neutral condition, which water does far better for me than alcohol alone. Using the boiling alcohol retort technique is about the only thing I've done that might get out a bit more, but that needs to be done very carefully since there is a slight element of danger to it.
Anyways, fresh pipes to try out some new blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.