PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Much easier to pop them in the dishwasher....

6J6kCAn.jpg

For those who don't know my "sense" of humor, using the dishwasher is not advisable. I did it to show how extended (45 minutes) hot water does not harm briar. Even the cob dried out within a few hours.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can't drop the feeling there is some infrequent issue that is serious enough to warrant the don't do it ever mantra. I don't know what the problem could be. Then again my currently cleaning methods are doing fine so...

The longer term problem is more likely to occur with frequent exposure to alcohol, which can remove some minerals from the briar. (sable can state that better). Briar grew with water after all.

Reactions: upnorth1

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just prefer breaking them down and cleaning with Q-tips, pipe cleaners, and liquor. Just a calming process much the same as I like breaking down my fire arms and cleaning them. Water probably won't do any damage I just prefer the lengthy exercise of disassemble, cleaning, and reassembly. Probably stimulates the same brain areas as my puzzles do.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
For those of you who harbor real concerns about exposing your briar pipes to hot water, I have an absolutely fool proof solution.

Never smoke anything in them.

Never.

Because every time you smoke a bowl of something you unleash an onslaught of steam (which is heated H2O in case you were unclear on the principle) throughout the interior of your pipe.

You expose your briar to the ravages of hot water for minutes, sometimes hours at a time, with every bowl that you smoke.

So it makes perfect sense to protect your briars from exposure to hot water by never, ever, smoking them.

There. I have given you the perfect solution to your concerns. No need to thank me.

Don't you all feel better now?

irrefutable logic.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah. Just saw this now. How could I have missed it two months ago? Who cares how or why, he said, trying to not talk to himself.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My mother in law found my very first pipe in the washing machine one day. She set it out to dry, and after a day it was good as....well...it smoked perfect, just the finish was coming off. Proceeded to smoke it right away. Without the wax!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I‘ve never cleaned a pipe with water and not sure I would, however, on rare occasions when I buy an old pipe or I just want to start fresh, I‘ll pack the bowl with Kosher salt and fill it with alcohol and let it set for a couple of days.
My norm, when a pipe is very dirty, in need of restoration or begins to taste bad, is to place a Q-Tip in the air passage (stem removed), fill the chamber with cotton balls (just below the rim) and fill the pipe with Bacardi 151 rum. I let it sit over night and do the finishing clean first thing in the morning. This has worked wonders for some very funky pipes. As for the water flush method, I don’t think I smoke any of my pipes enough to warrant it, but it does sound intriguing.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
My norm, when a pipe is very dirty, in need of restoration or begins to taste bad, is to place a Q-Tip in the air passage (stem removed), fill the chamber with cotton balls (just below the rim) and fill the pipe with Bacardi 151 rum. I let it sit over night and do the finishing clean first thing in the morning. This has worked wonders for some very funky pipes. As for the water flush method, I don’t think I smoke any of my pipes enough to warrant it, but it does sound intriguing.
AND IF REAMER IS AN COMPLEMENTARY OPTION ? what is your opinion
or

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I find the Buttner reamer just fine for my use. If I needed to do a lot of reaming, I might spend more.

Just looked, sorry the Danes above don't carry them. Amazon and other fine purveyors...

413Sk4P6kpL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: whsergent

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
AND IF REAMER IS AN COMPLEMENTARY OPTION ? what is your opinion
or
Mis Pipas, I never use a reamer because of the lack of control they provide. I use a very narrow sharp knife for removing heavy cake and a standard pipe nail for light cake. After the heavy cake is removed, I then use 320 sand paper to get the chamber as smooth as desired. To be honest, I don’t own a pipe reamer, not even for show.

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Mis Pipas, I never use a reamer because of the lack of control they provide. I use a very narrow sharp knife for removing heavy cake and a standard pipe nail for light cake. After the heavy cake is removed, I then use 320 sand paper to get the chamber as smooth as desired. To be honest, I don’t own a pipe reamer, not even for show.
GREAT
And when is the turn of Bacardi? ones already clean ?

Last edited:

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
GREAT
And when is the turn of Bacardi? ones already clean ?
Yes sir. The Bacardi comes after I ream and sand the chamber. Sorry that I left that out. Also, I thoroughly clean and back-flush the airway of the shank with Bacardi before performing the actual treatment. I back-flush the airway by using a turkey baster to introduce the Bacardi into the chamber. Don’t allow the Bacardi 151 to come in contact with the outside of your pipe as in some cases, it may damage the finish. Happy piping.

• Love
Reactions: Mis Pipas

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Yes sir. The Bacardi comes after I ream and sand the chamber. Sorry that I left that out. Also, I thoroughly clean and back-flush the airway of the shank with Bacardi before performing the actual treatment. I back-flush the airway by using a turkey baster to introduce the Bacardi into the chamber. Don’t allow the Bacardi 151 to come in contact with the outside of your pipe as in some cases, it may damage the finish. Happy piping.
THANKS. I HAVE AN ENCYCLOPEDIA. I ONLY HAVE TO PUT IT INTO PRACTICE. I HOPE I HAVE NOT ABUSED YOUR KINDNESS

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.