PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum! Sorry for your experience, but whatever happened wasn't due to flushing it with hot water. The one time I'd hold off on this is after a deep reaming; the hot water flush is usually the first step in a thorough cleaning, using harsher methods later if needed.

As the chief promulgator of this method, and with a desire to understand all the physics I can, are there any other details you can provide?

And have you posted here before under a different name?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sable brush you ran warm water thru a briar pipe
How long did you dry it out.

I usually let them dry overnight, (ca. 50% RH at 70º is usual in my house) but I have smoked a few immediately after the flush and there was no problem.

I was to understand water swells the briar and can ruin the pipe.

Briar doesn't absorb water quickly at all. - Tests of long soaks, dishwashers and swimming pool immersion show this, and:

There's more moisture "pressure" smoking a full bowl. By pressure I mean a combination of water vapor or steam, time and temperature. E.g., 45 minutes of 120º vapor is likely to cause more water to be absorbed in the briar than a 15-30 second flush with water.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable brush you ran warm water thru a briar pipe
How long did you dry it out.

I was to understand water swells the briar and can ruin the pipe.
We have a member here who did an experiment, leaving a pipe soaking in water for days, if I remember correctly. He then let it dry out for several days, at the end of which he inserted the stem, which fitted perfectly.

I rinse the pipe, stem removed, for about 30 seconds to a minute, with the water trickling in at a rate that brings it to the rim without it overflowing. Then I wipe out the chamber with a wad of paper toweling and use a few tapered bristles and fluffies to clean out and sop up the airway.

The amount of time I wait to reassemble the pipe varies with the pipe because the effect on the briar varies with the pipe. Most of them are good to go within 15 to 30 minutes, but a few require a good hour or more, and a fw that can take several hours before the briar returns to its proper dimensions. I've yet to have a pipe that would not go back together.

I don't run hot water though a Vulcanite stem as that can make it go gray, and with some old stems, seems to bring the sulfur to the surface. Vulcanite stems get alcohol. Acrylic stems get warm water as alcohol is destructive to acrylic.

Oct 7, 2016
I used the warm water method after resisting for the longest time. No harm done. But I had let a lot of pipes accumulate that needed cleaning, which is not my usual practice. I wouldn’t say that they were as clean as I normally get them using my usual methods after each smoke. No miracles. No great drawbacks.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I rinse my cobs with hot tap water when they need a deep cleaning. I fill the bowl with alcohol and let it sit for a while. Then I run hot tap water through the pipe. Then, immediately while still warm, I take the cleaners to it.

Then, I let it sit to dry for about a week.

Does make it taste more neutral and I do like the taste of a seasoned cob, but it comes back fairly quickly.

Reactions: Mis Pipas

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Isn't that from Cat in the Hat?
What would make you say that? Perhaps you are you are playing tit for tat? The shower may make it smell like a flower, and no longer nasty and sour...cray
Have I mentioned that,
I will not smoke it in the bath?

I will not smoke it in the shower,
I'd much rather just scour,
I don't care if I sound vain,
I will not smoke it in the rain,
I will not smoke in the water,
I will not smoke it with an otter,
I will not smoke it under the spigot
Will not smoke it with a cricket

I hope you have now heard my gripe
I will not, cannot smoke wet pipe.

I like cleaning my pipe with water lukewarm,
It helps keep it in good form!
This has now become the norm,
It works! It works! I can confirm!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For a very few, yes, but don't get your hopes up.

When I first posted on this, one guy got so bent he PM'd everyone to send me to the nuthouse. But since then, many long time and well respected guys have tried it and either said no harm, no foul, or loved it.

Ah, the long reach of pipe cleaning fluid makers' marketing departments!

Reactions: sablebrush52

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
For a very few, yes, but don't get your hopes up.

When I first posted on this, one guy got so bent he PM'd everyone to send me to the nuthouse. But since then, many long time and well respected guys have tried it and either said no harm, no foul, or loved it.

Ah, the long reach of pipe cleaning fluid makers' marketing departments!
Oh no! Not the cleaning fluid! The pirates are gonna go crazy!

Reactions: upnorth1
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It might just be because I like cleaning with alcohol gives me an excuse to get a decent bottle after all, but I will not wash my pipe with water. I can't shake the feeling that it might be one of those things that doesn't harm often, but when it does you get the advice to never do it.

I've done it hundreds of time and it hasn't hurt ever. What do you think is going to be damaged? You should clean your pipes as you wish but make the decision based upon facts.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For those of you who harbor real concerns about exposing your briar pipes to hot water, I have an absolutely fool proof solution.

Never smoke anything in them.

Never.

Because every time you smoke a bowl of something you unleash an onslaught of steam (which is heated H2O in case you were unclear on the principle) throughout the interior of your pipe.

You expose your briar to the ravages of hot water for minutes, sometimes hours at a time, with every bowl that you smoke.

So it makes perfect sense to protect your briars from exposure to hot water by never, ever, smoking them.

There. I have given you the perfect solution to your concerns. No need to thank me.

Don't you all feel better now?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've done it hundreds of time and it hasn't hurt ever. What do you think is going to be damaged? You should clean your pipes as you wish but make the decision based upon facts.
I can't drop the feeling there is some infrequent issue that is serious enough to warrant the don't do it ever mantra. I don't know what the problem could be. Then again my currently cleaning methods are doing fine so...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This thread has finally convinced me.

I've already transitioned to doing almost everything in the shower anyway...it's high time I moved my pipes in there too.

• Haha
Reactions: whsergent and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.