PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2019
well read the threads on cleaning with warm water - what a downer.
bought a nice butz chacom used - was black- used a whole packet of pipe cleaners till they came clean & reamed the thick cake to slight wood appearance - smoked nice - then ran the pipe without stem under hot water to test hot water method -
ruined the pipe - now no taste - have smoked it about dozen times with a nice burley to reestablish some cake.
no flavour -
hope it reflavours itself -
its a nice pipe high bowl, nice grain on one side BUT a great birds eye on the other side - would be a real bummer if she is toast
no water water - not even in the bathtub or shower

I have no idea how any of that could happen. The cake should not be contributing that much to the taste. And, on meerschaums and clay pipes, you aren't even supposed to allow them to cake. Many of my briars have no cake at all, and I can taste very subtle nuances. In fact, keeping my pipes cleaned with water has helped me taste more, not less.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I doubt it was the water cleaning. More likely your tongue, method of lighting, packing, etc...

Reactions: aquadoc
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Did you smoke the pipe before you reamed and cleaned it? If not, then you obviously cannot know if the ream/clean had any affect. I've broken in 200 or so pipes and never had one that allows no flavor when smoked. Perhaps you should try a different blend aside from Burley. To me, most Burleys have little flavor. :eek:

I have been flushing/cleaning all my briar pipes for over a year now with HOT tap water and have had no problems to date.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it will come around, but I can't say why the taste changed. It's been pointed out that water is used in carving pipes, so though you don't want to soak briar, a dousing shouldn't have much effect once you let it dry. I trust you have, or can get, a back-up briar and/or cob or two.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I resisted flushing my pipes with warm water for a year before giving it a try, and boy, was I glad that I did. The biggest difference was how fresh and vibrant the flavors were after the pipe had been cleaned in this way. I've had no bad experiences with this technique. I don't doubt your story, but have no explanation for it as I've not experienced any negative effects.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This would be a good time to use that pipe to explore the nuances of a good Virginia blend. Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia and Capstan come to mind.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
bought a nice butz chacom used - was black- used a whole packet of pipe cleaners till they came clean & reamed the thick cake to slight wood appearance - smoked nice - then ran the pipe without stem under hot water to test hot water method -
ruined the pipe - now no taste
A guess would be that, in your well advised thorough cleaning of an estate pipe, you removed whatever residual oils and ghosted flavors the pipe retained from the tobaccos the previous owner had smoked.
In essence, you reset it back to a more neutral flavor. Kinda like cleaning an old coffee pot.
What are the flavors you’re missing? There are many knowledgeable people here that may be able to help you find the tobaccos with the flavors you unintentionally exercised.

Status
Not open for further replies.