PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Why do that when running a pipe cleaner from the stem into the chamber will dislodge the dottle enough to tap it out on your palm?

I've never dumped ash until I've finished smoking.

I'm an habitual smoker, and even pipes I've had for years look barely used. Many have adopted the habit of not building cake with
no damage to the pipe.

Rim and chamber of the above pictured pipe, now in my collection for 28 years.

View attachment 23275
You're correct about the pipe cleaner; I was saying it is bad form to aggressively scrape the ash/dottle from the pipe as it can cause scarring that may ultimately progress toward burn out.
The ash stir was a hypothetical situation whereby decades of repeated scenarios resembling the hypothetical could eventually compromise the integrity of the briar enough to cause burn out. Even though I was illustrating an exaggerated situation, when I smoke a deeply aged straight VA, the tobacco is indeed dense enough (caused when the tobacco shrinks as a result of enzymatic and microbial degradation of the tobacco during fermentation) that I must stir and dump the ash layer else it insulates the tobacco enough to prevent relight though I don't make the mistake of drawing deeper and more forcefully because I am aware the compressed ash is preventing an even burn. The aged straight VA is the only tobacco I have experienced this with but must presume there are other tobaccos that share similar densities. There are numerous possible explanations why your experience has been different than mine regarding the ash layer including the fill volume, pack style, the multiple dimensional variations of pipe used, cadence, whether the pipe is clenched or held in hand, experience (you may just be a master as compared to my being an amateur), etc however, there are numerous websites offering "how to smoke a pipe" tutorials including Peterson Pipes that explain how the ash layer can suffocate the embers and create the very scenario I described. I say this not to contradict your assessment but rather to clarify that my hypothetical scenario was meant to illustrate how unlikely a burnout is to occur without excessive neglect.
I also didn't mean any offense with my reference to the article about instrumental vs ritual use of the pipe, we are all individuals and therefore our personal experience is both unique and subjective. I merely extended my opinion on the practice I believe most readily develops reverence and respect for the hobby.
FWIW, that is a beautiful pipe sir.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
when I smoke a deeply aged straight VA, the tobacco is indeed dense enough (caused when the tobacco shrinks as a result of enzymatic and microbial degradation of the tobacco during fermentation) that I must stir and dump the ash layer else it insulates the tobacco enough to prevent relight though I don't make the mistake of drawing deeper and more forcefully because I am aware the compressed ash is preventing an even burn.
If you run into that situation again, rub the tobacco out more finely, allow it to dry a bit longer, and gravity fill with little pressure. Should be able to burn mostly to the bottom with minimal relights and less to no need of dumping the ash.?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I also didn't mean any offense with my reference to the article about instrumental vs ritual use of the pipe, we are all individuals and therefore our personal experience is both unique and subjective.
None taken. Just wanted to illustrate that with proper care a pipe can be treated as a tool and still look and function beautifully.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I have had one burnout. It was in a Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain hardwood. Those are birch, which is likely not an optimal pipe wood.

I smoked it kinda hard in windy conditions right at first. It was winter, so I was smoking quick, and it was windy. After the initial abuse, I tried to build a cake but the wood just kept on burning.

I had another Ozark mountain pipe in which I built cake from the get go. After a while, it was abused as well. It, however, took it like a champ and kept on smoking.

I think that cake makes quite a bit of difference in preventing burnout.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I had a pipe that started spider webbing on the first bowl I smoked in it, I sent a pic to the pipe make who made me another pipe and told me to keep the first pipe for yard work. Both pipes are now five years old and I'm still smoking them regularly.

I've also got a Stanwell that has a wee split in the bowl around half way up, a fault in the briar. I smoked the pipe as normal and the hole self filled with cake.

Pipes are tough things

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
If you run into that situation again, rub the tobacco out more finely, allow it to dry a bit longer, and gravity fill with little pressure.
As I sit and think about it, I think you are absolutely right. I have been treating it like all of my other tobaccos. Although I do rub it out until it is very pliable and fine, it is simply too dense to fill and pack like the others. Because the aged VA shrinks during aging, it causes it to pack much tighter than one whose cell structure hasn't been degraded. I realize that the aged VA doesn't exhibit that "spring" when being packed and so your observation is spot on. I am also a bit of a wet smoker, not in tobacco moisture as it's actually a bit on the dry side, but I clench and excessively salivate while smoking; it's just too delicious ?. Anywho, I will implement changes based on your advice and let you know how it goes. Happy piping

P.S.
If you truly are primarily an instrumental pipe smoker, you are the only one I have met that executes such care in the maintenance of their pipes. I am curious what your typical routine is after a smoke?

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I picked up an estate Falstaff. After cleaning I discovered a few tiny cracks in the bottom of the bowl. I followed BROBS advice and smoked several small (maybe 1/3) bowls and didn't wipe them out aggressively. After 15+ small bowls I they've filled with tars and oils like BROBS said they would and I don't see any reason to fear a burnout going forward.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
P.S.
If you truly are primarily an instrumental pipe smoker, you are the only one I have met that executes such care in the maintenance of their pipes. I am curious what your typical routine is after a smoke?
Total disassembly of the pipe after each smoke. I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and draft hole and clean the mortise with a Q-tip. For the chamber I cover my finger with a paper towel and wipe it out until the towel is no longer blackened. After reassembly I wipe the entire pipe exterior (stem and stummel) with a Jeweler's cloth. I smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for a week, sometimes longer, and in three decades I've never had a sour pipe, nor an oxidized stem on a pipe that I bought new.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
only two times I've seen burn out. One was a person that abused their pipes, smoked fast and hot intentionally. Could finish a bowl in 20 minutes easy. And I had one pipe that was advertised as decorative and technically smokeable. It burnt out on the first bowl and was a shitty pipe anyways, still looks cool so had to take it for a test run.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
If you smoke the pipe to where the bowl is too hot to grip in the hand,your likely charing the wood.Under this char there will be little heat cracks.I also had a pipe that I had broke in from new,and thought I had smoked it properly,but when I went to sell it,(scuse me while I relight the clay) It was rejected due to “charring in the bowl”which really surprised me.Yeah,I try to light up the ashes somewhat as I near the end of the smoke,but maybe I over did it.I saw a Charatan Executive at a pipe show some years back with a good quarter inch or charr in the bowl.I have never burned all the way through a bowl,and that image in this thread is pretty dramatic.I always use a lighter with a “soft” flame,or a match.Happy smoking.