PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bmdfm

Lurker
Jan 13, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
I can't really speak to this with any authority, but I believe that actual burnout would most likely be a result of an internal flaw in the briar to begin with. Although, I hear that having a pipe going outside in windy conditions could also have a detrimental effect. I have never had a pipe suffer burnout before so I can't offer any personal experience with it.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I can't really speak to this with any authority, but I believe that actual burnout would most likely be a result of an internal flaw in the briar to begin with. Although, I hear that having a pipe going outside in windy conditions could also have a detrimental effect. I have never had a pipe suffer burnout before so I can't offer any personal experience with it.

I could see a windy day fishing, same pipe all day, causing some damage.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Mark Tinsky told me that pipes with flaws that you think will burnout don't, while pipes with no apparent flaw do.

But since most makers bowl coat whether the buyer prefers this or not, burnout has become a thing of the past. Funny, the Italian makers don't, and there have been no reports of their pipes succumbing to burnout any more often than others.

Burnout is rare, and if you smoke slowly, well nigh impossible.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Mark Tinsky told me that pipes with flaws that you think will burnout don't, while pipes with no apparent flaw do.

But since most makers bowl coat whether the buyer prefers this or not, burnout has become a thing of the past. Funny, the Italian makers don't, and there have been no reports of their pipes succumbing to burnout any more often than others.

Burnout is rare, and if you smoke slowly, well nigh impossible.
right I've had pipes with flaws in the chamber but never a burnout. They usually just fill with cake/tar and are a non-issue.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Ive seen pictures of burnouts, which is why I'm curious. As you all say, just seems like you'd have to be holding a torch to the thing untill it was up in flames.

But say, a pipe smoked everyday for 40 years? Would it eventually have to happen?

Reactions: danimalia

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Is pipe burnout a real concern? Would this happen to a pipe if you smoke somewhat correctly? Is it totally a problem with technique?

I ask this because I am pretty hard on a couple of my pipes. Unless it's something that sneaks up on you, I can't see it happening.
Assuming the pipe(s) in question are free of any defects and you respect them, it is more probable they will outlive you. Burnout is generally caused by neglect, defect, or both. If you ever buy a pipe with defects in the briar, you will quickly become aware of them dependent on depth. I have only had one, a Savinelli Fantasia 673ks rusticated. I smoked two bowls out of it and noticed spider webbing in three areas on the chamber wall when I went to dump the ash/dottle. I lightly scrapped the areas with my tamper to determine if it was just flakey cake or a more serious issue and regretfully discovered the spots were charred to the point of crumbling into powder. I cleaned the pipe and removed the damaged briar hoping to repair it but the damage was too extensive. Luckily Smokingpipes.com replaced it and I haven't experienced that since. In order for it to be an issue of neglect it shouldn't matter anyway because that would be indicative of disregard for the pipe. It would take more than just a few hot smokes to begin a burnout. You would have to smoke the pipe so hot it couldn't be held in your hand comfortably, or scrape the bowl out so aggressively you scarred the briar, or allowing a steady wind to stoke it, etc. It's just not something that happens often in a pipe that is well cared for and free from defects.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ive seen pictures of burnouts, which is why I'm curious. As you all say, just seems like you'd have to be holding a torch to the thing untill it was up in flames.

But say, a pipe smoked everyday for 40 years? Would it eventually have to happen?
Not smoked everyday, but very often. Gifted to me in 1992 and still may as well be a new pipe.

20191105_075833.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I experienced my first a few weeks ago. It was a brand new pipe that I smoked down to about 2/3 of the way on it's inaugural smoke, and it began to crackle and taste like burning wood, and got very hot on the bottom of the bowl. After dumping it out, there was a significant charred "punky" area just up and left of the draft hole. Fortunately it was purchased from Smokingpipes and they took care of it. Otherwise, no issues in 13 years and dozens and dozens of pipes smoked. I really think that barring a crazy move like using a torch lighter, pipes won't burn out if smoked with respect.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas

The issues that would increase the likelyhood of burnout in a well seasoned pipe would be from bad habits like using too much pressure while scraping the ash/dottle and slowly eroding the bottom of the chamber compromising the structural integrity of the briar or perhaps by smoking a substantially dense tobacco that creates a thick ash layer. The layer of ash will be thicker because science and when compressed will develop greater insulation between the tobacco underneath and the flame above. So, if you don't stir the ash and dump it and, have a habit of smoking to the bottom, you may expose the bottom and/or sides to excessive heat in an attempt to light the remaining tobacco (tobacco isn't evenly lighting because of the thick insulating compressed ash layer so you draw deeper and with more force causing the flame to redirect down the edges where there isn't as much compressed ash thus over exposing the briar in some areas to extreme heat. Decades of that habit could potentially erode the briar enough to cause failure). All told, it still comes down to how well you care for your pipe. Don't allow yourself to become an instrumentalist pipe smoker, instead practice awareness and celebrate your experience as a ritualistic pipe enthusiast.
The Ritual of Smoking a Pipe - https://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-ritual-of-smoking-a-pipe/

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
scraping the ash/dottle and slowly eroding the bottom of the chamber
Why do that when running a pipe cleaner from the stem into the chamber will dislodge the dottle enough to tap it out on your palm?

So, if you don't stir the ash and dump it
I've never dumped ash until I've finished smoking.

Don't allow yourself to become an instrumentalist pipe smoker, instead practice awareness and celebrate your experience as a ritualistic pipe enthusiast.
I'm an habitual smoker, and even pipes I've had for years look barely used. Many have adopted the habit of not building cake with
no damage to the pipe.

Rim and chamber of the above pictured pipe, now in my collection for 28 years.

20200320_211243.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I think it's more likely to happen right away.
If the pipe lasts that long it should have cake (even if you wipe it out.. a thin layer) which will protect the briar from burning out.

This is true. I've had two pipes burn out and both times it was within a month or two of owning the pipe. One was a gorgeous Ser Jacopo, the other was an Ashton made McCranies. Both times they said it was just a bad spot in the wood and its not the manufacturers fault. They can't see it but its usually a soft spot in the briar that just burns through. It's rarely from technique.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I had one burn out within the first three smokes about a dozen years ago. I think it was a Nording Eriksen pipe. So, yeah....I think it's usually a flaw in the briar, because I know my technique isn't always what it should be. I've found that all my good smokers were good from day 1 regardless of my smoking technique and the few bad ones, and that one burnout, were probably more the pipe than me.