2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I like the contrast of the fruit. Pizzas, salads,meat stews etc. I am in line with Sable.............
Try chicken marbella. It is a Moroccan like dish with chicken, olives, caper, apricots, and prunes (but I prefer raisins instead).

Sweet, salty, and savory with a sauce that soaks up well with couscous or a crusty bread.

Reactions: peregrinus

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I used to make my own pizzas I used tomato puree, chopped garlic, sautéed onions & mushrooms, pepperoni, anchovies, much marjoram & basil, finely chopped red chilli peppers, sautéed red/green sweet peppers, a few twists of black pepper all topped with fine mozzarella cheese and a few dashes of green Tabasco.....yum!

One trick, I used to add chopped basil & marjoram to my dough.....makes a huge difference......but as for pineapple..... :eek:

Regards,

Jay.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
GT4C.gif

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lots of pizza made here isn't "authentic". I don't care. Pizza can be many, many things to different people. I like Armenian pizza topped with minced lamb. Why limit yourself?
I recall reading a long time ago-— and a very learned treatise it was!— that posited that pizza was no more Italian than sauerkraut.

But I don't really care where it came from. Sometimes it's "gotta have" other times a ten foot pole is too close.

Pineapple and ham fine sometimes, but prefer sausage and artichoke hearts.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I remember back when I lived in Oregon, "Canadian Bacon and Pineapple" pizza was well known. They weren't too bad, just not my first choice.

Until one of those sailors who went west after 1492 brought some tomato seeds back to Italy, and then years went by before Europeans were willing to eat the fruits of this relative of the very poisonous Belladonna plant, there was no tomato sauce on ANYTHING in Italy. And quite a few of the toppings mentioned above are not native to Italy (or any part of Europe) either.

I recall reading a long time ago-— and a very learned treatise it was!— that posited that pizza was no more Italian than sauerkraut.

But I don't really care where it came from. Sometimes it's "gotta have" other times a ten foot pole is too close.

Pineapple and ham fine sometimes, but prefer sausage and artichoke hearts.
There used to be a Greek Pizza place down the road from me in college that served feta cheese, pepperoncini, and spinach as the base to all of their pies. Even the sauce and dough was different from what you would know from an Italian-like pizza place. It was the best, and was my first run in with feta. Loved it. But, then he died. But, damn it! You guys have me thinking of pizza... I can't eat the damned things!

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Not for me but if it floats your boat go ahead and enjoy it.

Peperoni, peppers, chillies, anchovies and a drizzle of Thai Fish Sauce are essential IMHO, YMMV.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I don't even like Italian style pizza, the bases we use are all a bit more american, so thicker and fluffier. If I ever order pizza I order a non-italian crust, I don't like it that thin. If I eat at an Italian restaurant I never order pizza, I prefer a good fresh pasta carbonara or a ossobuco ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Laurent