Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice pipes JC!
P.S. When trying to post pics, be sure it has
at the end of the link.

Example:
img]. (DO NOT put the * symbol. I just had to do that so the code would show up)

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Ok before anyone yells at me I was correcting the image but I took too long and the system would allow me complete the edit. Sorry for the huge pic.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
No problem, just be sure to re-size the pics when you are uploading them to Photobucket.

Pick what size you want them and click upload and photobucket will automatically re-size them for you.
P.S. You should be able to go into your Photobucket Album and re-size them even after you upload them.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Hello again. Here's another Pipe that I just acquired. I should have it in my hands by next week.
bplqtwwkkgrhqmh-dmeuglq3blrcfu0cq_31-600x450.jpg

As for favorites, all of the Pipes get smoked. I'm fortunate to be able to choose a Pipe to smoke depending upon personal preference at the moment and they all smoke well.

As for getting a Pipe of Shakespeare, Sinan offers this service in his Portrait Pipes and might also have ideas about a less expensive way to go for a custom Figural...

Another possible source would be Deniz Ural, as he's very aware of the current situation and skills of many Carvers...

http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/coverpage.html Another consideration would be to keep watch on e-bay, as these Shakespeare Figurals show up, for time to time. A big part of the quest is the Thrill of the Hunt, which can take you to many countries. It's fun and you get to learn a number of things along the way.
Fred
(Fixed Photo - Bob)

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Hello again. Here's a photo of the latest acquisition. It should be in my hands next week. http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/598

I'm fortunate in that I have my choice of Pipes to smoke, on the spur of the moment.

Yes, Sinan would be a resource for custom Figural orders, but it's not a budget

friendly idea. The Shakespeare Figurals show up on e-bay from time to time. If you consign a custom order, be ready to specify: dimensions of the Pipe, grade of Block to

be used, type of bit material and color, type of bit-to-shank connector and weight.

Dealing direct with Carvers and/or Primary Retailers is head's up ball in the Meerschaum trades, and best approached with the aid of one who's been around the Meerschaum Block. This and many other aspects of acquisition, care & maintenance, use and repair are addressed, at length in the All Things Meerschaum Group on Smoker's

Forum. http://www.smokersforums.co.uk/index.php?
Fred

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fred, thanks for the tips on hunting for a Shakespeare figural. You're right about the thrill of the hunt. Nabbing that long sought pipe feels great, but there is something anticlimactic about having it in your hands; and again, some time after you start smoking it. I think that's part of the PAD. After a while you seek another conquest, so to speak. (I don't think I'll get into drawing parallels to our attitudes toward women, even though the tobacco chamber could evoke some Freudian associations.)

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks Bob. This Pipe came today. I've done my pre-smoke cleaning ritual, but

I've not fired it up yet. It will get smoked soon.
Yes, the quest is enjoyable to me as well. It also serves to give the Pipe a sense

of legacy, as each Pipe evokes it's own set of memories. These are low tech, high

visibility functional art and smoking them is a learning experience, as they all are

to be considered individually. Some are as reliable as my old Harley, while others

can be as temperamental as a Drag Bike. So the acquisition is but a part of the whole

deal..., while the rewards continue thru the years. As I evolve, so do these Pipes.

vitorteixeira

Lurker
Jan 23, 2010
Well, my new pipe (Mark Tinsky Danish Brandy "Sunrise") arrived today, and im very pleased with it, it's a gorgeous little pipe, as you can see:
IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

and in good company.
I'm absolutely amazed of how fast it got here, in six days or so, maybe i got lucky in customs..

Props to Mr. Cooper.

vitorteixeira

Lurker
Jan 23, 2010
Hi Phil and thanks!
According to Mr. Cooper :

(http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/coopersark/)
"The length is about 5.25". The bowl height is about 1.50". The tobacco chamber is about 0.75" in diameter and rapidly tapers down the bowl's 1.25" inner depth. The capacity is about that of a Group 4 size Dunhill pipe. This gorgeous hand crafted American briar weighs 47 grams"
Haven't smoked it yet, but i can say it's a perfect match for the palm of my hand ;)
(I'm intrigued...how can you post that much in 2 or three months? Wow!)

ziggy

Lurker
Jan 22, 2010
I recently wrote here, and in the [/u]North American Society of Pipe Collectors Newsletter about my collection of carved briar heads, fondly referred to by me as the "Seven Dwarfs" (although there are eight of them). I was asked to post the pictures. I inherited four of these pipes from one of my professors. He collected them in the 1950s. They were carved in France, but have little other markings. Four of them I added to the collection - Shakespeare 2, Bacchus, and Arab 2 & 3. Arab 3 is not briar, and thus has an un-smoked meerschaum insert. I am not certain what the wood is, but it is very old, perhaps 19th century and masterfully carved, as they all are. The briars are first class wood with fine grains, pit-free. The birdseye on Arab 1 is intense on both sides. Anyone who has ever tried to carve briar knows how hard the wood is, and thus difficult to shape; this always gives me a sense of awe.
They can be found in my album:
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/ziggy/album

Status
Not open for further replies.