PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't have many issues with phrases or mispronunciations.

"Just sayin'" may get you killed if you're within arms reach.

And overused expressions like "awesome" or "totally awesome", "hilarious", etc may merit a session with Mr Baseball Bat.

I'm more bothered by people who don't know the difference between to, too, and two, or there, their, and they're. It doesn't seem that difficult to understand the distinction.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
In the states, many pronunciations of words are regionally-based. In my part of the Northeast we said crick (and it was specifically descriptive). A crick was smaller than a creek (just a little trickling thing) and a creek was smaller than a stream and a stream was smaller than a river. Although a creek could also be considered a stream. But most often not.

And many families from Western NY said "warsh" instead of wash. And we made fun of them (as if they were hillbillies). Those things are handed down via family generations.

For pecans? We said pee-cans and not puh cons. We thought that puh-cans was a southern thing and/or spoken by rich snobby folks.

And we still have the valley girl crap where people use the word "like" in every other word in a sentence. "So like I was driving my car, and like, this guy looks at me, and like, he like totally creeped me out, like."

"Totally." "Totally-like."
If you ever have the misfortune to watch UK “celebrity” shows you hear “like” being misused all the time.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Reactions: jpmcwjr and edger

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"People saying, ”I could care less” drives me absolutely bonkers."

Me too, it should be "I couldn't care less"!

As for mispronunciations I hate to hear 'seckertry', 'libry', 'Febury', 'parlyment' and the list goes on. The worst culprits are BBC newsreaders and politicians of all flavours. "When I was seckertry of state for education......" cray

Then we have the American way of switching the letter 'T' for a 'D' as in "pardy", voders", "baddle". ?

"If you ever have the misfortune to watch UK “celebrity” shows you hear “like” being misused all the time."

That ' like' thing originated in the USA. Yet another useless import over here.

Regards,

Jay.?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
"People saying, ”I could care less” drives me absolutely bonkers."

Me too, it should be "I couldn't care less"!

As for mispronunciations I hate to hear 'seckertry', 'libry', 'Febury', 'parlyment' and the list goes on. The worst culprits are BBC newsreaders and politicians of all flavours. "When I was seckertry of state for education......" cray

Then we have the American way of switching the letter 'T' for a 'D' as in "pardy", voders", "baddle". ?

"If you ever have the misfortune to watch UK “celebrity” shows you hear “like” being misused all the time."

That ' like' thing originated in the USA. Yet another useless import over here.

Regards,

Jay.?
Jay,

Maybe the truth is that all of you Islanders don't know how to speak proper English. Simple common words like schedule, you lot pronounce as "shedule", lieutenant - leftenant -- where's the "f" in lieutenant? -- and perhaps worst of all, jaguar - jag-u-war -- damned word is only worth two syllables.

One mispronunciation that DOES irk me is Macedonia pronounced at "May-see-donia". Hell's catfish, how anyone screw that one up? I just want to throttle their little chicken necks.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
My current city of residence is Jonesboro, Arkansas. It’s pronounced many different ways, all of which bother me. Jonesberg, Jonesburl, Jonesburrah, are just a few. The most irksome is Jom-bur. There used to be a K-Mark in town. It’d been here for close to twenty year. Now everyone just goes to Walmarts. The L in salmon. Alot. The mispronunciation of awry. Cringe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jesse, this should explain why we pronounce 'lieutenant ' as we do.

"The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f].[3] Furthermore, in Latin, the lingua franca of the era, the letter v is used for both u and v. In Royal Naval tradition—and other English-speaking navies outside the United States—a reduced pronunciation /ləˈtɛnənt/ ( About this sound listen) is used. This is not recognised as current by recent editions of the OED (although the RN pronunciation was included in editions of OED up until the 1970s)."

*My bold.

Regards,

Jay.?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What really annoys me is when people try to describe sounds in text without a phonetic alphabet: International Phonetic Alphabet - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

It's amazing that people aren't taught IPA along with the common Latin based alphabet right from grade 1.
Yeah, but English keyboards don't have all those glyphs. By the time I finish fishing the right ones in the Character Map the gin will have evaporated from my glass. Faster to use quotation marks and normal letters.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

"The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f].[3] Furthermore, in Latin, the lingua franca of the era, the letter v is used for both u and v. In Royal Naval tradition—and other English-speaking navies outside the United States—a reduced pronunciation /ləˈtɛnənt/ ( About this sound listen) is used. This is not recognised as current by recent editions of the OED (although the RN pronunciation was included in editions of OED up until the 1970s)."

*My bold.

Regards,

Jay.?
Our armed forces say leftenant also.

Screenshot_20210214-134750_Chrome.jpg

Here is the top google result lol:
Screenshot_20210214-134601_Google.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

*My bold.

Regards,

Jay.?
So, if I understand your citations correctly, the pronunciation of the word lieutenant as leftenant is the result of a centuries old cock up. And the OED has hardened its position, circled the wagons, so to say.

Still, it doesn't explain away the grievous wound of "shedule" or "jag-u-war", offenses which place a great stain upon a great nation.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What happened when the higher-ranking officer was a southpaw?
Back in those days indeed, until the 1950's being lefthanded was frowned upon. Lefties were forced into being right handed. I was born just at the end of that stigma, adopted by, luckily, forward thinking people. Sword fighting was a right handed activity. Fairness you know. As a left handed goalie I'd enter a game with a definate advantage until the shooters finally figured out my "weak side" was in actuality my ... "strong side." It took most of the first period for the adjustment to be made. After that first period ... well, I had to bear down.

Status
Not open for further replies.