PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I may have posted this before, but I like to mention the proper usage of the medical term schizophrenia, having a family member so afflicted. It does not mean split personality or multiple personality; those have nothing to do with it. It is not to be used when you have mixed feelings or are of two minds about something. That image would be, I have a split personality on the subject. Schizophrenia is a fragmentation of thought that is also accompanied by hearing voices. There may be multiple voices, but the individual does not have the sense of being several or many personalities. For layman who have heard this misused, I understand. This is an unfortunate misnomer. What piqued my anger was when I worked with many medical scientists some of whom would use this in presentations meaning to be of two minds about something. These guys and gals were highly educated and had done the reading and formal course work to know better. I say, feel free to correct anyone, but especially professionals, who display this lack of knowledge. The afflicted folks are stigmatized enough, and their families concerned enough, without others introducing crazy confusion on the subject. Sadly, schizophrenia often surfaces in late adolescence or young adulthood when the patient has "taken flight" from home and is gradually less able to cope.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Schizophrenia is a fragmentation of thought that is also accompanied by hearing voices.
When it gets to that point it falls into paranoid schizophrenia. My mother and one of her sisters suffers from that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.