Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My son and I refer to Harry Kane as 'Arry
Which reminds me of an old joke about a chauffeur and and the buxom young daughter of the manor house who've just finished an intensely acrobatic first go at each other, after which she asks his first name and he replies, still gazing at her crotch
"-arry, ain't it"
To which she responds<
"Well what did you expect, feathers?"

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
"That's the way we've always done it", doesn't mean there isn't a better or more efficient way. That one bugs me tremendously.

"Duh" or "Doi" are some I can't stand as well.

Reactions: Trainpipeman

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Aluminium

I would say that this is a problem unique to English speaking people, everyone should be familiar with setting up multiple languages on a keyboard, problem is I can't find an IPA layout for the keyboard on my iPad so I guess Apple thinks it's more important for people to be able to use 50 keys worth of Emoji's instead of typing phonetically.
My keyboard is set up for English and German. Neither has the IPA glyphs either.

Macs have more choices when typing thanks to their ability to combine Cmd + Option + Shift, but they don't have the IPA either.

Ah well, my brain doesn't have the IPA either: when I see something like ˈsəʊbrɪˌkeɪ, or ˌkɒkəˈmeɪmɪ, I suddenly develop a love for acronyms and go "W T F ".

Reactions: jpmcwjr and edger

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Another one that gets my goat is folk who pronounce the 8th letter of the alphabet as "haitch". It is of course correctly pronounced as "aitch" meaning it is not aspirated.

" I got my wheelchair from the 'en haitch ess' cray

Regards,

Jay.?
Hello Jay,
You seem to love your mother tongue and fashion words/phrases or new creations bother you. This thread surprises me because it shows that my native language isn’t the only one which suffers from alterations. As for pronunciation and emphasis, I had an English teacher who told us that the word ‘laboratory' can be pronounced in two ways. First, emphasis on the first syllable, and second, emphasis on the second syllable. How do you pronounce it?

Aug 1, 2012
Hippie and hippy did not mean the same thing for a relatively long period of time. One described a person whose fashion and mannerisms were similar to a social group of the 1960s onward. The other often referred to women with a substantial amount of hip.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Then of course we have the word 'awful' which originally meant quite the opposite of what it means today.

"What did you think when you saw the Grand Canyon for the first time?"

" I thought it quite awful, really awful".

'Awful' then meaning "I was full of awe"!

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: edger

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
AAs refer to themselves and any difficult habit or practice they have as "alcoholic," as in their favorite, "my alcoholic mind." But the primary meaning of the term is drinking out of control, and most that come to meetings are years away from active using, and thus alcohol. The only realistic use of the word describes addiction as lifelong, even if suspended by sobriety, but even this meaning is virtual, as latent.

Though brilliant:), I have totally failed in persuading even one "alcoholic" to consider their words more carefully.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Then of course we have the word 'awful' which originally meant quite the opposite of what it means today.

"What did you think when you saw the Grand Canyon for the first time?"

" I thought it quite awful, really awful".

'Awful' then meaning "I was full of awe"!

Regards,

Jay.?
We no longer say I am gruntled (content). Disgruntled is the only commonly used term. Check those old dictionaries. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.