Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Western Pennsylvania/Pittsburg slang tends to hurts my ears:
Yinz
Jagoff

My dad’s father was from that area, and he had the Yinz pretty bad. Another thing I’ve noticed from Pittsburg lingo is “Couple-two-three.” As in, “I saw a couple-two-three guys out ice fishin.” My boss is a Western PA guy and he says it all the time. Also, names of stores etc. get a possessive “s.” Like, “I went to NAPA’s to get a wheel bearing” or “Are yinzez going to Sheetz’s? Get me some beers.”

Another curiosity of local language I’ve noticed in some of the more remote places: how road names are conveyed. It’s not Thunder Lake Road, it’s THE Thunder Lake Road. It’s not Wilson Rd, but THE Wilson Road.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
An idiom used so frequently here that I see some foreign language members using it:

"I'm loving me some Mixture 69." The "me" is wrong grammatically, but who cares?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
While in the army, I once had an old battalion Sergeant Major who would always proclaim how he "loved to see his men soldiering!"

Soon after, we became aware that one definition of "soldier" (as a verb) is to "make a false pretense of work to avoid punishment".

From that time on, we emphatically concurred with the old dog that, yes, we WERE soldiering.

Merriam Webster has a similar entry:

1613503853321.png

1613503870803.jpeg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One other word that Americans often get wrong is confusing the word 'ensure' with the word 'insure'.

I have even seen 1930's magazine adverts for Waltham (or was it Hamilton?) pocket watches stating to the effect of "To insure you arrive on time buy a Waltham pocket watch" .

Regards,

Jay. ?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"What, there are no uneducated folks in the UK or Canada??"

Of course there are, I even offered examples above where us Brits made errors.

Another example is a (currently barred) British TV journalist called Beth Rigby who always omits the letter 'G' from the ends of words such as in.....

"I went to 10 Downin Street hopin to speak to......"

Regards,

Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"What, there are no uneducated folks in the UK or Canada??"

Of course there are, I even offered examples above where us Brits made errors.

Another example is a (currently barred) British TV journalist called Beth Rigby who always omits the letter 'G' from the ends of words such as in.....

"I went to 10 Downin Street hopin to speak to......"

Regards,

Jay.
Oh, very U!

Just like Bertie Wooster!

Reactions: edger

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
An idiom used so frequently here that I see some foreign language members using it:

"I'm loving me some Mixture 69." The "me" is wrong grammatically, but who cares?
yeah and there's "I be."

"I be getting me some beer tonight."

You can also throw in the "like" thing too. "I be like getting me some beer tonight."

Status
Not open for further replies.