PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

goosetime

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2019
Kansas City, MO
I have purchased four or five Petersons over the years. The drilling on everyone of them was terrible.
My Dad gave me one he got in the early 1960s and it is great.
At the store I have had to check every single one with a flashlight. Some are up to par for the price, but many are drilled worse than the basket pipes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the heft and solid look of Petes. I think I have eight: Two B11 brandy sitters in different finishes; one P-lip in a Killarney 999 Rhodesian; a rusticated slightly bent apple/author K&P; one Belgique Rustique small pipe; an Around the World slightly bent bulldog in a red stain with a thick nickel band commemorating Ireland, my St. Pat's Day pipe; an unfinished (slowly coloring) bent Dublin; and a Donegal B10 bent briar Calabash. No systems, and no high-end Petes, but the ones I have have had no quality problems. Along with my Savs, Johs, and Kaywoodie, I have found Petes to be durable, reliable, and very good to excellent smokers. I'm a drawn to Pete's sturdy look and their balance in hand.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Thinking about picking up a straight Billiard. Any of my fellow Pete geeks have thoughts or opinions on the 107 or x105?
They are very different sizes. The 107 is the largest production straight billiard they make. I was going to collect them, but they only have them in a few lines. The x105 is shorter and more compact, really too small for me (though I have one for quicker smokes). My favorite is the 106, same size bowl as the XL90 bent billiard, so about 0.8" by 1.6". It's between the 107 and x105 in size.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If you want a real treat get a straight, normal tenon, plip pipe. They smoke like whoa.
I've got several. You're correct.
They are very different sizes. The 107 is the largest production straight billiard they make. I was going to collect them, but they only have them in a few lines. The x105 is shorter and more compact, really too small for me (though I have one for quicker smokes). My favorite is the 106, same size bowl as the XL90 bent billiard, so about 0.8" by 1.6". It's between the 107 and x105 in size.
Thanks. That confirms what I learned, which is exactly the information I was seeking. Thank you.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Interesting. I had always thought the 107 was chubbier but actually had a smaller chamber.