PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
One more try here for the picture of the stampings . The made in England stamp is on the bottom side of the shank directly under the cap. Straight lines

Made in

England

On the cap the stampings are K&P Peterson of Dublin with the Peterson marks beneath the K&P

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/unclearthur/album/picture/1247

The Dunmore is a 77. The series is getting hard to come by it seems I rarely see them offered. A shame I like them a lot as well.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I have a grade 0 too, but was Made in Ireland (above -Made in & below, Ireland). The mount though is definitely not silver and neither is it nickel, but it does have the Peterson Logo and 'Peterson's' on it.
When I first got it, the mount looked like aluminium because it was oxidising in a few spots just as aluminium will in time. Nickel tends to go a yellow colour when it looses the initial shine, this was a matt grey colour, again, as you would associate with aluminium.
It's strange that a '0' would not have a silver mount?
The only thing I could think of is that it was manufactured at a time when silver was in very short supply (the War years between 1939 and 45) although shortages of materials would have extended right into the 50's (Rationing didn't finish in the UK until 1954).
Here is a picture (with the band cleaned up) but with NO hallmark.
DSCF0002-1.jpg

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
The P.L on the shank tells us it is one of his pipes. He designed the Sherlock Holmes series

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I have been posting here for a while but just now came across this long, informative thread about Petersons. From my research some of the posts are by the recognized Pete experts. I am a Pete Nut and anxiously await a Grafton I just bought on Ebay. So, I am posting only to bring it to the top as there may be other Nuts out there that have not enjoyed this great thread. There is info here I have not read anywhere else.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
OK, bumping this up for the Peterson experts. I posted these pics in my other thread but wondering if anyone can figure out the age of this 999. That and I read thru this thread this morning and I really liked it so bump. :)
d7095cfa.jpg

911e6766.jpg

de864367.jpg

6220645d.jpg

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ok I've got a Pete I've been trying to date for a month or two, originally to sell but now I think I might keep it...anyway its a 1066. Peterson's says they have no record of that model..ever. I sent them pics of it and the closest they can match is from a 1905 catalog. there are nomarkings other than peterson and 1066. the name is printed in an arch pattern and the p has a forked bottom and a swirl in the loop. the stamping is very worn, this is the best I've been able to get of it.

2012-07-05182601.jpg

this is it with a 106 for comparison

2012-07-05182153.jpg

2012-08-04141048.jpg

Any knowledge of this pipe would be appreciated :puffpipe:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
This link might interest you:
http://thepetersonpipeproject.blogspot.com/2007/07/dating-peterons-pipes.html
The forked tail on the "P" indicates it's either really old, or a replica (and based on the wear on the logo, I am guessing really old)
Good luck - let us know what you find. :puffpipe:

orla

Lurker
Dec 4, 2012
Hi. The P. L. On the Sherlock Holmes pipes us Patrick Larrigan. He's my grandfather and is 87 years old. He would answer any question about pipes as he worked for petersons for over 40/50 years.

Thanks
Orla

chestyp

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
What pete dates could these stamps indicate? No COM anywhere.The shank going from bottom toward the cap is PETERSON with forked P in a half circle--over SYSTEM--over circled 3. No model number,no dublin. The nickle cap is stamped going around the radius instead of top to bottom and can be read holding the stem upward--K&P PETERSON is on the top line with the peterson only half as tall as K&P. The shamrock, fox, and tower stamps are under the K&P. The really odd thing is that the "&" is not the regular ampersand like all other petersons have. It is exactly the number 8 (with both circles the same size)and a tilted v joining the bottom circle of the eight--like this 8. Does any of this indicate an age?

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I guess the Watson is about my largest Peterson and a great smoker.
_DEF4607.jpg

The 307 is another great favorite...

_DEF4487a.jpg

However, the smaller "Professor" is my favorite of the line. Great smoker, hangs just right for a clincher and seldom needs to be relit.
_DEF4594_zpseb09e5d4.jpg

_DEF4598_zps72403dcd.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
Whew! I was looking to see if Al had my name on the deceased list above. Am pleased to report I am alive. So this old Peterson thread has been revived. I was a Peterson fan years ago. My first was a great pipe, a cross grain billiard I got new around 1957 for $18. Excellent smoker after a long breakin. I won 7th place in the 1958 National Pipe Smoker's Contest with it. Currently I have 14 Peterson briars, edited down from about 36. The quality is not as good as it was years ago. Stain in the bowl and draft hole and inadequately aged briar are common. But the set of 7 of SH meers are the best meerschaums I have smoked. They are made in Turkey to Pete's designs, which are excellent. The plumbing is superior and the connection between shaft & stem the best on any meers.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Foggy, Thanks for resurrecting the Peterson threads. Being a collector for over 40 years I have several nice pieces made by Paddy Larrigan stamped with his scripted PL on the shank. Love the pipes and the history of the company. I hope someday I'll see a photo of Paddy Larrigan in the shop making pipes, as he has been retired for some time now. Guess I'll go research the old pipe magazines/periodicals, I may find one after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.